Black Tweed Tolex source?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mhat, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

As a favor I'm building a pedalboard for a friend. He wants lacquered black tweed tolex. I didn't even know there was such a thing until he sent me a link for his inspiration. Anyone know where I could find some of this?

Here's a link for the example.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's even more different than the stuff Fender calls "Black Tweed" - which is this thing:

black tweed case

Not sure where to get actual *black* *tweed* though :(

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you're already done with it ? Was just thinking maybe some stain would get that black color then shellac to seal it up ?

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Seriously, Wally, good idea. That Sunbrella fabric is tough. I also got a chuckle thinking a guy could build an indoor-outdoor amp...

Here's the thing, Mhat. I can't actually see the pattern in the $650 pedal board and case you link. Looks, um, black. Maybe in person? But on the floor, on stage, in the back of the van? Not sure...

It isn't actually tweed, but this has the diagonal stripe and might look right:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/TolexCarpetTweed_x/Mojotone-Black-Carbon-Fiber-Tolex-54-W

Mojo has a pretty cool array of dark, textured Tolex, FWIW.

Also, just my design sense, not probably helpful: if I was putting a Tolex 'fabric' on something that gets beat for a living, I'd probably fake carbon fiber (it is technically a plastic / resin / composite) rather than fake tweed.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I love the carbon fiber look - I really wanna do that for one of my builds soon.

It's really hard to tell from that photo exactly what is going on with the "black tweed" but Wally is right, could be a stain of some sort.

King Fan likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

tweed.... Yeah, considering that the tweed with which we are all familiar was luggage linen we might suppose that tweed cloth is a multipurpose thing. I bought a set of luggage from back in the day that was the same tweed that Fender used.....blues man traveling cases, indeed. I got a lot more for them from a vintage guitar/amp enthusiast than they cost me at the garage sale.
    I have no doubt that BobbyZ's idea of spraying/applying a transparent black tinted lacquer on 'normal' tweed would achieve a good effect, too. At least, it would be worth trying if one already had the tweed.
    MHat, if you don't already have some tweed for this project, let me know....I'll see what happens with some black lacquer on a little piece of tweed. I have plenty of tweed here; so if it works out we could work out a deal. But....that tweed I found in that link above might be easier. Cover the pedalboard and spray some clear lacquer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.