Black Sabbath - Under The Sun

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire

I've read that both Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler enjoyed classical music and were influenced by those composers. I think you can hear it here. Every Sabbath member is an exellent musician. Bill Ward is highly regarded among drummers, Iommi a guitar genius, and Butler known for a unique, hard driving bass style.

I would even venture that only a British guitarist could have done what Iommi accomplished. I believe his particular influences and musical instincts allowed him to create this sound. My reasoning, no American guitarist sounds like this. JMHO

Last edited:

DLReed

Tele-Holic
Iommi has such a way of integrating so many great riffs in one song without any of them sounding forced.
The riff that starts around the four minute mark in this one reminds me of the Ventures!

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
I would even venture that only a British guitarist could have done what Iommi accomplished. I believe his particular influences and musical instincts allowed him to create this sound. My reasoning, no American guitarist sounds like this. JMHO
What.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This was different from everything.....I blasted Volume 4 thru my headphones and 8 track in my car....
Saw them in 78 I know they were on the down slide, but man it was still one the best.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The short version of something I discovered once was that J.R.R.Tolkien grew up in a small town some miles away from Birmingham, in the West Midlands of England. Birmingham was on the leading edge of a heavily industrialized region (oft known as The Black Country) with manufacturing and metal forges and all this fire and coal smoke going up into the air. It was growing, and threatening the small countryside town he was in. He had noted that Birmingham was his inspiration for Mordor in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and its ever expanding sprawl (that threatened towns like his) were thematic interpretation in the books.

Interestingly, two of the greatest metal bands came from Birmingham- Black Sabbath in the 1960s and Judas Priest in the 1970s.

Or in other words, metal came from Mordor.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
it's just about impossible to pick out a bassline on anything on that album.