Black powder enthusiasts -advice needed

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It was not easy, and it contributed to the use of formations and shooting volleys at closer ranges while standing.

It also contributed to the use of bright uniforms, guide-on's, and flags.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  2. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

OP, look up www.trackofthewolf.com

They broker many privately built historic firearms

I’m a re-enactor myself as well as a gun builder. Here’s a few shots 0C68CDA7-DF80-42CE-B06C-3A3CAF130AD5.jpeg 18473D00-B22D-4C2A-B874-727E6ABBE8CA.jpeg A399CA3A-7E2A-41D0-8928-36B0F5919CC2.jpeg of one of my latest.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, certainly.

5. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Good looking work! I spent a good number of years in my youth doing machine work and appreciate the fact that there are still people who aren't satisfied with "close enough for government work".

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My dad was a black-powder enthusiast. He had a cannon bored just right for small frozen-juice cans filled with cement; a .45-70 Springfield, a Sharps replica, and a side-hammer percussion muzzle-loader made by one Billinghurst, I think in the 1830s, an over-under affair with a 12-gauge shotgun on the bottom and a .30 caliber ball rifle on top. He hunted deer with it, successfully. It was very accurate, I think to 100 yards or so, but I forget.

I had it for a couple years in college while my folks moved overseas. I took it out to a range a couple times, but it by then had developed such a hair-trigger that it was unsafe to shoot. My son had it fixed a few years ago, so it's usable again, but it's pretty much a wall-hanger now.

Dad was principal at a small elementary school in California. Once before I was in high school he volunteered to go pick up a new school bus from the factory, in Kentucky I think. He stopped by the duPont factory, and came back with 50 pounds of black powder (that would probably be frowned upon today). That provided him with lots of shooting, cannon-firing, and other explosions for the rest of his life.

thunderbyrd and MickM like this.
  7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

“Smell that? You smell that? Black powder, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of black powder in the morning ..... "

My last build, Summer of 2019, from a Kibler Colonial .54 kit, circa mid 19th century from the F&I war to the revolution. I ordered real fancy wood in case I didn't like the gun it'd be a selling point. I actually don't like fancy wood, but she's the best flinter I've ever shot and I've had dozens of 'em over the decades. Swamped Rice barrel, Chambers-Siler lock, and Tru-Oil over real deal aqua-fortis acid stain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

A very fond memory I have is having a great time with my dad operating his "beer can-cannon" which would launch a half-filled-with-gravel can a good 100 yards into the field, via black powder.
    We also used to sometimes split very large stumps for firewood by drilling a hole into the center, filling it with a mixture of black powder and fertilizer pellets, tamping up that hole with dowel with a small hole drilled for fuse, light it, run for cover, and wait for the glorious explosion that lifted chunks of wood high into the sky :)

Oh how I miss my dad! He's gone just over a month now

P Thought likes this.
  9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

That is a very nice long rifle. I have always intended to buy or build one myself.

Is that maple?

10. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yes, curly tiger maple. You can't image the upcharge I paid for that wood!! :eek: o_O :confused:

11. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 Tele-Meister

I'm not a rifle guy, but you've got a real beauty on your hands. That white barrel looks primo!

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i used to be crazy for black powder guns. i gave it up, and motorcycles, for electric guitars.

13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

When I used to smoke I found that if the flint broke on my Kentucky I could turn it into a "matchlock" by putting a lighted cigarette in place of the flint, worked a treat. Trouble is aI gave up smoking 30 years ago os now I just carry a couple of spare flints, not as much fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.