1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black Locust/Walnut Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gdshrub, Mar 8, 2015.

1. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436274850.020475.jpg

2. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

That locust is some wild looking lumber.

3. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

Yeah it's really gnarly stuff. Hard as a rock, but it sands perfectly smooth.

4. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

Well, I should probably share what my pickup selection is. I'm playing in a jazz combo in the fall, and I like a really hot bridge pickup. Soook, Seymour Duncan jazz neck pup and hot rails in the bridge. Aren't they beautiful?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436411091.029436.jpg

5. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

And I'm at a dilemma. I want to woodburn an emblem on my headstock. I've got a simple logo for "screaming tree guitars" as I have dubbed myself. However...... I risk ruining that walnut veneer and making it look awful. So, the question is, burn it in or leave it out? Here are some pics of my practice attempts and the current headstock.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436411272.510122.jpg

6. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436412621.694406.jpg

7. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

So, skipping ahead a ways because I didn't take pics of a large part of the build. I'm at the finishing stage. Everything has been routed and drilled. Here's what the body looks like:

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436412698.750943.jpg

After applying Danish oil and not being pleased with the look, I went to the local woodcraft store. They recommended minwax antique oil. Oh my. It's amazing. A rub on finish that builds up very gradually and gets a beautiful soft sheen. Try it out. You won't be disappointed.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436412785.305884.jpg

8. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

Danish oil on the fingerboard. The ziricote looks amazing.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436412831.979901.jpg

9. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

As it stands right now, full body shot. All posts from this point on will be my current work. No more catching up. XD

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436535346.196652.jpg

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That looks beautiful. I've always liked the idea of a burned decal, too - always looking out for old typesetting letters to do it with.

11. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

Thank you! Yeah I think that it would look sweet, but the walnut veneer is a bit dark for it to show up well,and the grain is so beautiful that I decided to not risk ruining it.

12. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

So, I was quite confirm that I would hate wiring. But I actually dislike it more than I thought I would. I created this beautiful disaster and realized that I had my concentric pots wired reverse of what I wanted. And that was pretty much the one thing I cared about. Grrrrrrrr. I'm thinking I might just buy some regular pots and do a master tone/volume, because these are just a massive PITA.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437099780.661967.jpg

13. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

A pause in the action

My electrical engineer buddy has offered to give me a hand with soldering and wiring. Once that's complete, all that's left is attaching hardware and stringing this baby up. I go back to school Monday, and we might be wiring it up Monday night. Completion is near.

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Shrub, that looks awesome. I love the carved top; bold move! How heavy is it?

15. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

Thanks bill! It was a spur of the moment decision, but it really paid off. Don't have an official weighty yet, but it is heavy, especially for having such a thin body.

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Did you go with an extra thick fretboard? If not, you're going to have a hard time getting good string height. On a tele, the neck pocket is 5/8" deep. With a 1" thick neck heel, that leave 3/8" above the body. A normal fretboard is 1/4" thick, so that means 1/8" of the neck is above the body. On your guitar, the fretboard is flat on the body. That means with a normal tele bridge, your strings are going to be very high off the fretboard.

Also, I just noticed the ledge you have at the end of your neck near the headstock. You need to bring that closer to the nut or you'll have problems with the strings digging into it as they go on to the tuners.

Here are your headstock and a standard headstock for comparison. Notice how much wood is left behind the nut on each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*EDIT* I just noticed what you did on the fretboard. What I saw as the nut slot actually appears to be a zero fret. Is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.