Black Label MIT DS-1 incoming.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OttoCorrect, Feb 22, 2020.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Incoming vintage DS-1 headed my way, got it for all of $50 on Reverb. It’s a fairly clean specimen from 1991, so it’s a Made in Taiwan version but as I understand will be the same circuit as the Made in Japan variety.

I understand this is the same circuit made famous by Nirvana and Satriani, etc. Never had a DS-1 from that era. I’ve only ever had the newer post ‘94 DS-1s where they made a few changes to the circuit that gave it it’s current and less desirable mid scooped and fizzy sound.

Anyone else have a pre ‘94 DS-1 or know what I’m in for? I figure if nothing else getting a clean example of the old circuit for all of $50 was still a good buy. Probably can sell it again for at least that much if I’m patient.

2. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1990/91 DS-1 that I bought as my first pedal back then. Hated it at the time (with a solid state amp, it just sounded horrible). I've used it A LOT in the past 10 years or so as a good boost pedal and to add treble to my tone, and it works great for that. It can get really fizzy if you dial up the distortion, but it stacks REALLY well with other OD pedals if you keep the distortion level down. Definitely worth $50, but you'll need to play with it to get the tones you want.

OttoCorrect likes this.
  3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

The current circuit DS-1s I’ve had never did much for me, I have one that I did the Machine Head Pedals “Outlaw” mod for, which basically made it sound like I always wished DS-1s would sound. That one is definitely a keeper now, but I didn’t like it stock. But then I read about the changes in the circuit as specific parts were becoming hard to source in the early 90’s leading to what we have now. So I was on the lookout for a good deal on a vintage unit. I guess curiosity got the better of me that way, but for $50 why not?

4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I have a stock '81. I like it better with a les paul than a strat or tele. YMMV.
    I have a slightly modified (two resistors) MIT DS-1 I use with the Fenders.

5. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Put it through it’s paces at a decent volume today. I’m rather impressed. None of the newer DS-1s I’ve played really sound like this, they’re more scooped and buzzy, this really does just sound like an excellent classic distortion pedal. Crank the gain and you get a great articulate punk rock buzz saw. Hearing and playing through a pre ‘94 DS-1 finally helps me see why this pedal used to be an icon.

I wish Boss would modify their current circuit to get it back to sounding like this.

My only wish was that this would have a little more volume. Unfortunately it’s at unity when maxed. Which is fine enough, but the ability to push an amp a bit would be welcome. Maybe I can mod that feature in easily enough?

Either way, this was a great find for only $50. It definitely does it’s job better than some more expensive distortion pedals I’ve played over the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.