1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black Holes Are Hurting My Brain...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for enlightening me. I wondered about that. I thought the gravity of Jupiter might also play into things, but I haven't bothered to look into it. Orbital velocity, I'm going to learn more about that. I want to take a Physics class once I have a chance.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Hey TD - did not mean to spook you. My message is simple - ENJOY LIFE - we have a few millions to pay golf, enjoy love and buy whatever you want.
    However the physics is correct. The universe is pedalling backwards. My take on it is that the big bang must occur again and we can all look like ET.
    Just send the wife shopping. Happy wife- happy life.

Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get some sleep.
    Black Holes have baffled everybody that has tried to understand them.
    That is why nobody can explain them.

One of these days, maybe we will.

68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm following everything until these last 3 paragraphs.

Your post has sparked a bit of interest in me (as a physics drop out haha) from the little reading I've done it does seem to be up for debate. Witnessing mass, light, particles, etc crossing an event horizon definitely seems paradoxical given it should take an infinite amount of time for it to happen due to the time dilation.

I think one explanation the black hole can't gain any additional mass inside the event horizon, it's the initial mass that it started with. The event horizon only becomes a thing once radius sastifies this inequality r<=2MG/c^2 or equivalently M>=rc^2/2G.

Regarding the compression of matter, I think you are looking at this with what I call Newtonian Logic (the thing that allowed me to excel at physics until university level physics took a crap on this way of thinking). The stuff that makes objects appear incompressible are the electrostatic forces and solidity/this object must take up at least so much space is somewhat an illusion.

All forces (gravitational, electrostatic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, etc) do what they do through the exchange of some of the elementary particles that travel at the speed of light so if an object is traveling at light speed it's possible these forces aren't possible. Maybe under these conditions particles can occupy the same physical space like photons can. Or maybe the sheer gravitational forces simply make everything else negligible. But all of this is only speculation of course.

I don't have anything to say about decompressing black holes, I believe that the current model model of physics doesn't allow for it (I may be wrong). But I'd suggest you look at the theoretical concept of a white hole which are possible according to the current model of physics but require conditions which aren't possible in our universe.

Regarding what's in these black holes I don't think anyone knows at present.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    68Telebass, Toast and Torren61 like this.
  8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

You should stay off that weed torrent61. :twisted:

Not even the most brilliant, nobel-prized scientists knows that much or anything at all really, about those black holes. It's still a mystery, but they're not a myth. They do exist. However, my take on it all, is that since we live in a three dimensional world, there must be places that are 2 dimensional or 1 dimensional too, as a singularity must turn out to be in the end. Not anywhere else to go, so to speak. My wonderings is about the difference between rotating black holes and those that does not revolve around itself. Which power is so strong that it keeps on rotating them, probably at the speed the old star did have before collapsing? But some kind of force must be rotating it, and is strong enough not to be stopped by it's gravity.

No matter how we discuss this will come to a circular rotation, and a catch-22 anyway, so little use of continuing. A vain excercise in futility. Now, I've heard they've found another thing. Formerly they have discovered "negative matter," and then "dark matter"...now they've discovered something called "doesn't matter" too, and it has absolutely no influence on the universe whatsoever...

68Telebass, Toast and Torren61 like this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The funny/scary thing is I wasn't smoking anything at all...

10. Toto'sDad

No worries TT, I'm pretty hard to spook actually. I can honestly say, I much too mundane to even consider thinking about black holes. I'm gonna just leave them and Yoko Ono be. It's raining here today, but sometime soon I intend to take my wife shopping so she can scoop up some after Christmas bargains, she loves doing that. One year I bought her seven jackets on an after Christmas special, even bought one for her friend who went along with us. I enjoyed that Christmas immensely.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

While pretty simplistic, I think of black holes like this:

Gravity is an ATTRACTIVE force that pulls matter (i.e. atoms) towards other matter due to the mass of the matter itself- more mass, more attractive force. Simultaneously, REPULSIVE forces exist within individual atoms and between different atoms that keep them at a particular distance from one another (giving matter "volume"). Specifically, the kinetic/potential energy of the electrons keep them from collapsing into the nucleus, and the electrostatic repulsion between DIFFERENT atoms keep them from collapsing into one another.

In the normal world, the attractive gravitational forces are far outweighed by the repulsive forces within/between atoms, and we have atoms/matter taking up a lot of space. But when the mass reaches a certain threshold, the attractive force of gravity overwhelms the repulsive forces that keep the subatomic particles and atoms at a distance from one another, and you get the collapse of the matter into a very small volume (i.e. a singularity). Voila! A black hole.

Tonetele and Torren61 like this.
  12. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Toast, Torren61 and 68Telebass like this.
  13. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Black holes:

Toast, Torren61 and 68Telebass like this.
  14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I vividly remember the time as an undergrad when some of us were sitting around calculating “escape velocities” (for some reason or another) and somebody noticed that yes, it was possible to have an escape velocity greater than C.

That was before Cygnus X-1 was ID’d as a black hole Black holes were just an idea that maybe didn’t even exist. Now it seems as though they are everywhere.

One thing I’m pretty certain of is that nobody (or thing) will ever escape from one. The other thing is that our current physics will break down inside of the singularity.

Newtonian physics got us to the moon. We could live perfectly well if that was all we knew.

Einstein took us to the next level...think GPS and semi-conductors. We could live perfectly well if that was all we knew.

we will be able to live perfectly well with whatever is next...

If you know what I mean.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not really but I feel better that YOU feel okay with all of this.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

There must be a limit to the amount of matter that can be compressed into a black hole. Compress and pack in enough particles and eventually all the space between them will be filled solid. Right? Then what? Is the black hole filled up, no more room (space)? Does it just float around the universe like a filled garbage bag? Unless all that matter is not getting compressed and is instead just squirting out into another universe? But if that's true shouldn't we be seeing matter squirting into our universe from the black holes of other universes? No matter what, it's job security for astrophysicists. What a racket.

Rocky058 and Torren61 like this.
  17. Buckocaster51

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I have a question about black holes that maybe somebody can help me with. I want to know if a black hole has a shape. It appears as if they are out there in space and that they have some type of dimensional qualities. Are they flat round disks? Are they conical shapes ending in some point? Seen from the side, would a conical shaped black hole look like a triangle? Is it even possible to apply a shape to them if they distort space? If you have some good ideas on this question, lay 'em on me. Thanks.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    The singularity itself is an infinitely small point with no dimensions.

The event horizon is perfectly spherical and, if you could see it, blacker than black. A perfect shadow.

Material found in the accretion disk will obstruct direct viewing of the event horizon...in most cases.

C2C5213B-01B1-44BC-B011-0913294CC960.jpeg

Torren61 and Toast like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I felt like this heading into my first marriage.

[​IMG]

I felt like this the day I got divorced.

[​IMG]

Now after 55 years of being married to the right woman, I feel like this!
    [​IMG]

superjam144 and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.