1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black Holes Are Hurting My Brain...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 26, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So.....we truly are 'circling the drain' then, eh?

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Think of the universe as the surface of a balloon that is being inflated (in 4D :eek:). So everything is moving apart from everything else. I'm not sure what the age of the oldest "light" we see is, but if the expansion fast enough then something too far away would take a long time to get somewhere that keeps getting further away.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I like your analogy, but not in its simplified form. If you look closely at the foam, some bubbles burst and cease to exist. Bubbles spread out over all the available surface until their volume to surface ratio leads to instability. String theory predicts a multiverse. Some possible universes will have physical laws that do not lead to long term stability. Some bubbles merge. This would lead to instabilities if the physical laws in them were incompatible. I'm not a proponent of the anthropic principle because I don't believe humans matter at all in this except as observers but I believe we are in a pretty unique place in an evolving but stable universe riding on the expanding bubble of another universe. The only interaction between our universe and that one is gravitationally. Evidently, one of the properties of matter in that other universe is mass. With the electromagnetic force not a common property, we have no "window" into the other bubble but we can surmise it's there.

I don't see black holes as portals to other bubbles. Black holes take in information but what becomes of it? I don't see it staying unaltered. A wave function must collapse at the event horizon. The big bang produced a quark/gluon plasma. Quarks and gluons and all other matter would have to be condensed into a singularity in a black hole.

None of this affects us in our time frame. Or if a wave from an incompatible bubble is headed our way, it doesn't affect us... YET.

Gotta leave now. This is the stuff of a good novel. Why am I wasting my time writing about it here? Don't anyone steal my crazy ideas. I got dibs. Time to start my novel.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

every time we get a breakthough in astrophysics the questions keep mounting

here's one I have pondered ( I will keep it simple)
    if the milky way has a radious of 105,7 million light years
    and it takes 225 to 250 light years to for the sun to orbit the milkyway
    if we could send a probe to rise above the milky way and scan down from above it and we looked back 112.5 to 125 light years back could we view the earth amd our solar system as it was 112.5 to 125 million light years ago on the other side of the galaxy?

you do realize human vision is faster than the speed of light
    proof.......

if at dusk on a clear night you face east and see the lowest star in the horizon then turnaround quickly and face west to the lowest star on the horizon you have viewed many trillions of light years ina single second "faster than the speed of light"

68Telebass, Torren61 and Greggorios like this.
  5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

It's just modeled this way. The model doesn't pretend to say anything about the "actual reality" inside of there. It only makes predictions about what we'll observe over here on this side of the event horizon.

68Telebass, Torren61 and JL_LI like this.
  6. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

The earth is moving fast enough to not get caught and sucked in. The sun absolutely is powerful enough to suck the earth into itself, and things at much much greater distances too. The only thing is, it already did it to most of the stuff in the solar system that didn't have orbital velocity.

68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

This is a version of the paradox where aiming a laser pointer into the sky and sweeping the beam between two stars that are a billion light-years apart from each other is said to prove that there's no faster-than-light limit. "See, the dot got from there to there in no time!" But all it really proves is that the signal from Earth might get to those two stars faster than any signal can get from one of those stars to the other.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    68Telebass, Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

You can't see past the event horizon because that's where the sausage is made.

aging_rocker, 68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

No that is just relativity.

68Telebass, Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  10. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I wake up at 3:00 I stick in the ear buds and listen to radio Gunsmoke.

11. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I see it as more like looking at paintings or pictures. Speed of light applies.

Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Very well put for the common man to understand
    . The Bing Bang in reverse. I won't bother saying anymore.
    So go out and enjoy yourself, by THAT guitar , send the Mrs. shopping.

68Telebass, Greggorios and Torren61 like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Believe me, it even kind of spooked me. I've spent a lot of time in the woods, no way I would go in a hole like that! A: Because I wouldn't fit. B: 'Cause I figure there would be at least one hundred and twenty seven rattle snakes living down there.

Greggorios and Torren61 like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

A sensible alternative plan you had there me lad, and much the better for you!

68Telebass, Greggorios and Torren61 like this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

oh HELL no!!! I'm insanely claustrophobic. This is nightmare fuel. Thanks.

Greggorios, Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you guys realize I messin wit ya:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I am content in the knowledge that mysteries exist :).

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm glad someone else ponders these things too. There are things we don't know or understand. It's like that tiny ant walking along on the sidewalk, as you walk over him everything ends for him. But he had no inkling you even existed. At the same time you had no idea he was there.

It's like if you went into space at the speed of light and came back....... the time wouldn't match. You might return to your gr gr gr gr grandkid's life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.