1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black Holes Are Hurting My Brain...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Our universe is a single bubble in an infinite sea of foam, like when you put a lot of dish soap in the sink and turn the hot water on real hard, only as far as I know, there’s no end to the foam.

If you pass through a black hole, you come out in another bubble.

That’s oversimplistic, but conveys the general idea.

2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I think you'll be OK .... as long as you don't get too close.

Not being a physics guru (nor anything even close) .... but didn't Hawking prove/theorize that heat escapes a black hole. So in time (a long time - but since with black holes time is relative) ........ o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jeez TD this one disturbed me way more than the one before...

EsquireBoy, jman72, Toto'sDad and 3 others like this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I really don’t get how there’s any “coming out the other side” of a black hole.

Torren61 and 68Telebass like this.
  5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

If you did it would be as a sort of mush. I don't think it would be an option for travel.

Trying to get your head around the realities of the things they are learning about space/time/universe is fun and disturbing at the same time.
    It's the distances and dimensions involved that I like to try to get a mental handle on....and the notion of things expanding. For instance, how can the light of the furthest galaxy observed take over 13 billion years to reach us when the universe is only 13.8 billion years old? Wouldn't 'we' have been near that galaxy 13 billion years ago?
    I know logically that that is the wrong way to visualise it, but I don't know how to visualise it otherwise.
    And it all isn't happening 'out there'....if you look at your hand the atoms in it such as calcium and iron were formed in a star that went supernova.

A few days ago I got a bit unnerved trying to understand some astronomy thing on YouTube, so I watched an old Monkees episode instead.

6. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Screenshot_20201227-004947~2.png

Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Yes!!!! X/0 is......hmmm...a singularity!

@Buckocaster51 - Don’t forget Time!!! That makes four- a place in space, and a time to be there...but remember Superman- the faster he flew, the slower time (relatively) was perceived...:eek:

Why, Yes!! We were closer 13 billion years ago!! Our universe was just a dense hot raging ball of plasma. We were packed in an area about as small as the Milky Way Galaxy at a young age (a couple hundred years?) This graph may help!
    upload_2020-12-27_1-24-38.png

Log time (Years) is horizontal axis (0 = 1 year old)

Log diameter of universe (in light years) is vertical axis (0 = 1 light year in diameter.

It wasn’t until about 10,000 years that it cooled enough to form atoms...:oops:

sleep well- this should be enough to knock anyone out. :)

Attached Files:

Torren61, Greggorios and driver8 like this.
  8. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

i have seen the movie event horizon. i remembered it was good.

from imdb

In the year 2047 a group of astronauts are sent to investigate and salvage the long lost starship "Event Horizon". The ship disappeared mysteriously 7 years before on its maiden voyage and with its return comes even more mystery as the crew of the "Lewis and Clark" discover the real truth behind its disappearance and something even more terrifying.

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I often rely on Sean to put me back to sleep after I get up to pee @3am. He has a soothing voice.

jays0n, John Backlund and Torren61 like this.
  10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

This gives me a lot of anxiety. She / he is not going to get out by that entrance. Not without a lot of butter.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just got a science book for Xmas, called The Black Hole Survival Guide, by astrophysicist Janna Levin. Maybe it will help.

jays0n, 68Telebass, Torren61 and 3 others like this.
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Doesn't it have something to do with Soundgarden?

68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

That’s deep man. All I think about if I wake up in the middle of the night is what I should have for breakfast when I finally get up for the day. :D

68Telebass, Torren61 and Greggorios like this.
  15. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Our sun doesn't have the mass to collapse into a black hole ; (

16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

At the center of every galaxy there's a massive black hole, I imagine that some time in the future everything gets sucked in and eventually all the various the black holes move towards each other like oil droplets in a bowl and viola.... another big bang, and so on and so on.

68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just GREAT!...As if we didn't have enough to worry about right now I wake up to this kinda thing in the Bad Dog on a Sunday morning, the day after the day after Christmas no less.

First off @Torren61, next time YOU wake up at 3am and can't sleep try thinking about something really challenging like the superposition principle in quantum mechanics or tone woods and then...keep it to yourself!...or go watch Interstellar which explains the whole Black Hole thing. Somethin' to do with Matthew McConaugphey in a multi-dimensional library run by...I dunno who...but some benevolent power that allows him to find his long lost daughter who is 100 years older than he is or some such thing...or maybe he really did die...or he could still be riding around in a Lincoln saying weird stuff to make his bad self look clever. Who cares!!!

Next thing, @Toto'sDad feels compelled to out do @Torren61 with what can only be described as one of the most disturbing pieces of video that doesn't include killer wildlife. Or maybe it does...image what lives down in that hole. Frankly I think that whole squeezing his/her self into a rock outcropping is about fleeing back into the womb or some other unsavory act performed on Mt. Shasta involving shamans and chanting.

In summation I beg you, my friends, consider this: Do you really think it's just a coincidence that these 2 sages of Teledom live in the SAME state on the left coast. Ahhh, I think not!

18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I also enjoy pondering astrophysics, although I have a very limited understanding of the subject.
    Quantum physics are a black hole to my mind, especially the 'freezing part' as my mind attempts entry.

Afaiu, we don't have any physics models that can be applied to matter once it is compressed at the level of a singularity.

It is fun to think about what happens inside a bh and is there another side? Is the other side of a bh the creator of a universe? Is it a wormhole into another universe? Does the other side lead into a hell dimension: ala' Event Horizon, lol.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We're all on the black hole if you have studied Physics. One galaxy at a time.

Good excuse to buy a new or long wished for guitar and send the Mrs. shopping for whatever she wants.

68Telebass and Greggorios like this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, you are correct ... so far, but it is still 2020.;)

Alex_C likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.