1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black Holes Are Hurting My Brain...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have "thinking times" when I go back to bed after waking up at 3am to wee and I'm laying there trying to go to re-sleep. I'm hung up on astro physics theory at the moment and, particularly but not exclusively, black holes.

So, it seems, at the bottom of a black hole is a singularity where everything that's been drawn into the black hole is compressed to a near infinite point. Well, that's one theory. But, my problem with that involves time. Okay, and space.

If we were able to park a space ship outside a black hole and watch, we would see things approach the event horizon.

"The ‘event horizon’ is the boundary defining the region of space around a black hole from which nothing (not even light) can escape. In other words, the escape velocity for an object within the event horizon exceeds the speed of light. The name arises since it is impossible to observe any event taking place inside it – it is a horizon beyond which we cannot see. The event horizon therefore effectively hides the singularity at the centre of the black hole, a boon for astrophysicts discomforted by the breakdown of the laws of physics at such a point. The cosmic censorship conjecture states that all singularities are hidden by an event horizon and this failure of the laws of physics is not observable. In theory, any mass can be compressed sufficiently to form a black hole. The only requirement is that its physical size must be less than the radius of the event horizon. For example, our Sun would become a black hole if its mass was contained within a sphere about 2.5 km across."

But wouldn't the object appear to freeze in place? And if that is so, wouldn't everything that came before and after also seem to freeze in place? Wouldn't this make a large crusty doughnut of stuff around the edge of a black hole?

And how much can matter compress before it cannot compress more? And THEN what happens? The only answer I can think of is it rapidly decompresses which would be an explosion. And since time itself has been compressed, the decompression/expansion would seem to be instantaneous although from the point of view of being in the expansion, it would take a long time. Or is it the other way around? And, how can time be compressed if it's not matter?

So, then, was the "Big Bang" a decompression of a black hole? What if there is no decompression on THIS end of a black hole? What if there are parallel universes and black holes are "Big Bangs" in THOSE universes? What if the singularity is a puncture from this universe into another parallel universe or a creation of another universe using matter (and anti-matter?) from THIS universe which is why it becomes a parallel universe?

I need to ponder this more...

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

White light, White light goin' messin' up my brain
    White light, Aww white light its gonna drive me insane
    White heat, Aww white heat it tickle me down to my toes
    White light, Aww white light I said now goodness knows, do it....

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

no wonder your head hurts.

4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

BA892FC7-1A93-4B44-8C38-D85021E1BA60.jpeg Megatron used to get power for his fusion canon by connecting interdimensionally to a black hole.

5. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Sean Carroll probably has episodes on his Mindscape podcast that dig into the same concerns that are keeping you up. Maybe you will find some comfort in listening to others also argue/worry about it.

It's a pretty good show no matter what the topic is, so worth checking out if you don't already listen anyway.

Greggorios, Torren61 and driver8 like this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Get a Lava Lamp, you will be able to visualize it at 3:00am.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It blows my mind that humans as a species can even think of this stuff, but we can’t (nvrmnd I just realized where I was going with this).

8. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You had me at "large crusty doughnut"

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait! there were donuts?..... damn... that'd be right....missed out again...:(

it's like they all vanished into a black hole....:confused:

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As a star dies forming a black hole, you can see from this rendering that a whole heck of a lotta stuff is going on. It really has to do with mass condensing. Eat a healthy diet and maybe you can watch our own sun going into this phase.;) IMG_4846.PNG

11. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

and if you actually went thru a black hole you would just find your mom waiting for you to take out the trash

:)

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's all theoretical at this point, and testing the complementary and competing theories presents several problems--the greatest of which is how to get a front-row seat to actually observe this stuff.

13. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

Solve for x.

Greggorios, 68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  14. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I'm not a physicist, but I think you can't separate time from space - it's all "space-time." So that's how it can become compressed. The hypothetical singularity at the bottom of a black hole could indeed be like a "seed" from which a universe comes about, it just never escapes the hole, and in that case exists within the black hole. I don't know about the object appearing to freeze in place. Not sure which object you're talking about, or for whom it would be appearing to freeze in place or not. From within the black hole, everything could just look like it looks to us now. We wouldn't know the difference. To someone "outside" the black hole, they wouldn't be able to see past the horizon anyway.

Greggorios, 68Telebass and Torren61 like this.
  15. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I got brain cramps, just trying to read that.

Skydog1010 and Torren61 like this.
  16. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe have an episode titled “What’s it like to fall into a black hole.” I think you would enjoy that.

Janna Levin just dropped a book called “Black Hole Survival Guide”. You may want to spend $20 of your Christmas $$$ on it.

When trying to visualize the singularity, remember that it is a bit more complex than the bowling ball on the rubber membrane that is often used to show gravity wells. Real life is in 3 dimensions.

:)

17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For some more on this you might want to read Hawkings A Brief History of Time. He thought deeply about it for a long time.

I think the reason things would appear to freeze from one frame of reference is with a big difference in velocity between it and another. There is something about what it might be like to fall into one along those lines that Hawking gets into. But I don't recall anything piling up outside, just that Hawking did theorize about information being lost or not and something called Hawking radiation that has to do with matter and energy at the horizon.

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Here's the extremely crude way I think about it. I start with Newton's law of gravitation which I boil down to big masses attract smaller masses to themselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation. The sun, for example, keeps the earth in its orbit because the sun is a huge mass of stuff. The earth doesn't fly into the sun because it's far enough away that the sun's gravity isn't powerful enough to suck the earth into itself.

Now the sun is a huge mass of elements that are constantly bouncing off each other. They combine, get hit by another element, break apart, combine in some other way, and generally bounce around in the gravity of the sun. They are doing this because there is fuel at the center of the sun that is creating an explosion (a process called fusion, AFAIK) that sends the elements of the sun flying into each other. Now those exploding elements want to follow the law of gravitation and stick to the huge mass of the sun, but the exploding fuel at the sun's center keeps them moving around. Eventually though, the fuel of all stars starts to run out. When that happens, those elements start to stick together (smaller elements stick to larger ones). They form heavier and heavier elements which attract more elements to them and so they get heavier and become more attractive until they become so attractive nothing can escape them. A black hole. That's the best I can do.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Son, I tells ya, ya gotta leave them Yoko Ono youtube videos be. Just stop it. Here's how the black hole works.

[​IMG]

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you keep messing with that kind of thing, you'll most likely end up like this.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.