1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Black hardware installation tricks and tips

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by eallen, Feb 27, 2021.

1. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

For all the years I have been building I still hate it when people request black hardware. It's not because of the look. It is because of how easily the finish on screws, nuts, and washers can be marred during installation. Anyone else but me?

I have my nut driver ends dipped in thin plastic, coat screwdriver tips along with them obviously being in top condition, put tape on the top of washers where the nut driver might contact. I am particular about screw head recesses looking factory perfect so I will dab a light coat of paint in them if they aren't after install.

So let's hear it. What are your tips and tricks you have used?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Zepfan likes this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

High quality lens tissue, the kind used for cleaning microscope lenses, is soft and strong. The fibers are very long making it resistant to tearing. Set the screw in place. Place a small square of lens tissue over it. A screwdriver or hex wrench will still fit. Insert it carefully and don’t over tighten. Use a magnifying visor or the magnifier from a soldering station if you have trouble seeing the slot or hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.