Black Friday...What’d you get and why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrGibbly, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I got a bridge for my banjo!

Actually, I had ordered it weeks ago, and on my way home from working in retail heck was the most convenient time to pick it up. I admit that I checked beforehand to see if the music store had any deals I couldn’t pass up, and I spent some time browsing and musing, but in the end, I just picked up my bridge and went home. The problem is that the time I spent looking online to see if there were any deals I couldn’t pass up left me with a nagging thought that I need another guitar. NO!! I will not be GASsed!!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope you got some young ‘uns to move those bags & blocks!
    Else soon you’ll be shopping for an ultralight Tele!
    All I want for Christmas is my young back back!

d barham likes this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Dan German likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I played half a dozen new and used late model LP Jrs and Specials at two GC locations and found one used Jr that knocked me out priced at $600. Not a mark on it.
    My budget (birthday money) was capped st $600 though and I offered that amount if the would include the $33 tax but they couldn’t budge.
    So I walked out and left a really nice black Jr from maybe 2017.

The Jr and Special are both routed for a neck pickup which annoys the hell outta me because a double cut Jr has minimal wood inhe neck joint area and I’m obsessive about the structure, though of course Specials do hold up under Rock & Roll bashing.
    I’d hunt around for a used one and also consider adding a pickup to a Jr if you find a really good one.
    They vary a lot like any guitar, but good ones are really good IMO.

I’m not a fan of those grainy nitro finishes but can live with it if the guitar is great.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I've already got a 2016 Special, one of the limited edition Japan market versions, and it's a killer with astonishing detailing. They were around 1100 new, and mine has the best neck ever. The 2019 that turned up yesterday has a fat 50s neck, which doesn't really suit me to be honest, but the detailing isn't great regarding the paintwork.

6. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

New computer to cope with my current one becoming useless with the Windows 10 roll out. Hopefully I'll get 7 years out of it like the current one.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Okay - guess I didn’t technically lie on page 1 because I hadn’t gotten anything yet, but I ended up going back to L&M today and picked up an HK Tubemeister 18w head today. I was pretty much settled on a Marshall Origin 20w combo in the new year for it’s open, less gainy Plexi like tone. But this was a good enough deal that I had to give it a listen.

The lead channel was a typical low watt, EL84, high gain channel. A little boxy cranked up but great sounding at low volume. But the clean channel surprised me. With the master cranked up it was full and clean and clear - healthy amount of bite but not shrill - not vox or fender cleans, but a good Marshall 18w clean tone. Then, switched to the 1watt setting on the built in attenuater, I dimed both the gain and master on the clean channel and had a great crunchy, gainy tone - very Plexi-ish. I usually run a one channel rig, so I can see this amp being right in my wheelhouse with a boost pedal up front to goose the clean channel for more gain when required. I think I’m really gonna dig this little head.

8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

gots O

Tues doing the 150 mi northward trip to Sweetwater in IN and check out stuff on the floor

9. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

My old BOSS BR600 has been slowly dying, so for local* business Saturday I went to Sweetwater and got a Zoom R8 and a nicer mike (Blue Spark).

D.H.

* Sweetwater no longer being a small business...

10. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Nothing, because I didn't find anything really exciting at a really great price. I looked through Reverb a lot, and various sites, and encountered stuff at prices I could generally scare up any day of the week. Most of the big deals I encountered were simply overpriced or unpopular, overstocked stuff reduced to a more reasonable retail, I mean "sale," price. I hope others fared better.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I broke down and used GC's 15% discount today. I ordered a Gretsch 5422TG Thinline Hollowbody in walnut stain. Should have it sometime this week. Christmas done (for me).

12. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

i always this day buy strings almost -40% for my 3 guitars.......and a play station plus membership -25% sale

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Me too here's a pic of that body I was talking about . . .
    IMG_7958.JPG

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't go out to any bricks and mortar joint on Black Friday, but I did order a Pigtronix Micro-size Disnortion Fuzz, almost half price, under $50 at Sweetwater, which met my "under a hundred" limit.

Why? It's got more than a single fuzz option (and I like the available sounds), takes up not too much space and it's part of my "dark filth fuzz board" project. Always like having some projects to work on.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I went looking for a beater guitar for bar gigs, and for some reason this one caught my eye...

[​IMG]

An OLP Music Man (OLP used to be the 'Epiphone' of music Man before they went with the 'Sterling' line) Benji Madden signature model. Madden's the guitarist for a band called Good Charlotte, who I'm not really that familiar with. But the guitar looked cool, nice color, and the Tele neck pickup is a mod - the sig guitar only comes with a single humbucker.

Shipping out of California today, I'm hoping to have it by next week.

And I've been so good with not buying stuff this year, at least since January...

- D

SuprHtr likes this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I always preferred the Bad Lip Reading mix of that song.

- D

RhinestoneStrat and SuprHtr like this.
  17. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I ordered a nice SKB hard case for a guitar I don’t yet own. 20% off from MF after some discussion with them. A few weeks ago I got an open-box SKB bass case for my stepdaughter and was so impressed, I had to have one of my own. My new guitar was ordered a month ago and won’t ship until early January, so my GAS is in a confused waiting pattern.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

MIA 20 gallon trash can for the workshop/ train room. Local ACE had a coupon “one item under $25 1/2 price”this just slipped in at $24.99.. 09539450-08AA-42BF-86D7-3A37B42DF71E.jpeg

19. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

20. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

Boss Rc3 looper

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.