Black Crowes are back!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DavidP, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...hmm, so TBC is really "Chris & Rich & Company"; I'll scrap any road trip plans to Seattle...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Torren61 likes this.
  2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I am shocked Steve won't be there. In my opinion he's 1/3 of their sound along with Rich's guitar, and Chris's voice.

And if you're going to bill it as a Shake Your Money Maker 30th anniversary, shouldn't you have those guys with you? I could be wrong but I don't think Johnny Colt and Jeff Cease are up to all that much.

Did the Robinsons not offer the spots to them, or did no one want anything to do with it? I imagine this is going to be pretty lucrative; I don't see everyone turning it down.

At this point, I guess I'm just not interested.

I am glad to they've worked thing out though.

Torren61 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I was watching Eric Church on Austin City Limits. I did not care for it but thought that one of the lead guitar players was great. Turns out it was Jeff Cease! He's got an entirely different look going on these days! [​IMG]

4. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister

Original drummer Steve Gorman has written a book about his time in The Black Crowes. I have not read it, but I believe it may not place either of the Robinson brothers in a good light. I may be wrong.

I too would love to see Marc Ford and other former members in the line up. I did see Rich Robinson's Magpie Salute band about six months ago (with Marc Ford and Sven on bass) and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am open to see this version of the band depending on when, where and how much $$$$.

Torren61, Dan R and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

1991 Santa Barbara county bowl. Great concert!

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

As I understand it, Steve got fed up when they basically tried to turn him into just a hired hand and cut his share of royalties, etc. And yes, I've also heard the book does not paint Chris or Rich in all that good a light - part of the reason he had not published it before, but once they pushed him over the edge, he basically said screw it, the book's getting published.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I find some of the non-permanent members to be the more interesting and capable musicians. On the other hand, I think Chris is a caricature, and Rich is a decent but uninteresting 2nd guitar player. I can't imagine sitting through a whole concert unless there are sone really sharp musicians on hand to bring this over the top.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I was a little surprised to see they have the pull to book large arenas, and that's why I'll miss them again in St. Paul on Aug 13. I've seen so many of my favorites in theater settings, that I will never go back to large arenas. My last arena was in Dallas, 1987 for Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Steve in his own words...

10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

LOLOL! Yeah, glad THAT'S all over... :rolleyes:

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tragically,Neal Casal dies and Chris now has nothing to do and then - this ?

I saw Audley Freed with Sheryl Crow and he was great . Would love to see Marc Ford.

I only saw the Crowes once and it was with Luther who was fantastic but without Eddie Harsch (RIP).

Torren61 likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Didn't occur to me, but verrrry good point.

CJM3309 and Torren61 like this.
  13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Black Crowes? Not a fan.

Pink Floyd? Big fan.

14. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

The Robinson Bros. have burned a lot of bridges. Steve Gorman said he didn't even want to be in the same room with them, forget about being onstage. Sad.

I saw the Crowes on a Sunday in 1997. I went to the Stones on Saturday and the Black Crowes on Sunday. Great show and loud. Chris was a pistol and that is memory I'll never forget. Fantastic weekend.

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody know anything about the substitute Crowes?

A pretty big knife to back to Marc and Sven who are currently working with Rich and put out an album in the last month or so. They lose out on a pay check.

But this did have me go to the ole CD rack and I’ve got Tall playing as I type.

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

The substitute Crowes wouldn't be an issue to me. They aren't writing songs, they are musicians playing songs that have already been written.

If I could see the Stones with only Mic and Keef as the originals, I'd be there. The brothers Robinson are no different.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was on set up for their gig here in Kamloops , got to meet Kate Hudson and talk to here for a while , she's a cutie!

a fun show for sure, got some great suveniers , skins ,sticks, set lists, back stage pass,

P1011748.JPG

18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Saw them somewhere around the mid-late 90's with Bob Dylan.
    FANTASTIC show all the way around.

Having trouble getting real excited about this Reunion tour, though I'll probably still end up seeing them.
    I work summers at the venue (PNC Pavilion) they'll be playing in Charlotte on July 3 next year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.