BL Vs Dimarzio Area T

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grateful Ape, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Lockdown has brought the issue of electrical interference noise in my house starkly into focus. So for the sake of my sanity, I need to go noiseless. At least, until lockdown abates.

Given affordability concerns, I think it's down to battle in the title.

Be very interested in hearing from people who have experience of both. NB this primarily for clean/crunch funk and jazz playing.

Merci

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Which Bill Lawrence pickup are you looking at?

Assuming you're talking about the real Bill there are quite a few options on his site: https://www.wildepickups.com/

3. Grateful Ape

Either the noisefrees or the Microcoils

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Area T “Hot” bridge. The regular bridge pickup is a little thin. The regular Area T neck is sweet. As dead nuts a 60’s neck pickup as you’re likely to find, and no noise.

Bang for your buck, the Fender Vintage noiseless set is really pretty great. I’ve used them in my gig Teles for the last five years. I find them quite satisfactory.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I only have experience with the Area T, and the Hot model, and a few different Strat Areas, including the Virtual Solo, and they've been the best noise-reducing Tele and Strat pickups that I've used, to date.

They may not sound exactly like real single coils, but IMO they come very close, and really just simply sound good to me, despite any sonic differences. They also have 'familiar' sonic characteristics to actual single coils, so I oftentimes don't even really think of them as being very different from my other Teles which have true single coils. For that reason, I'll typically choose the Tele they're installed in because it simply sounds good and plays well, and the lack of hum is just an additional bonus.

...Also for that reason, there's a pretty good chance that I'll end up installing Area Ts in at least one of my other Teles.

Grateful Ape, Theorage and Jakedog like this.
  6. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

I would recommend the the Area T's, as well. DiMarzio Area pickups are worthy.

I own and love BL pickups, several models. The BL noisefree's lean more toward "clinical" by comparison to the Area T's, which have a little more familiar "character". The microcoils are wonderful too, but are lower-noise single coils instead of hum-canceling.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

if you want a soft attack typ, L45
    micro coils are not noiseless, but very quiet.
    @Theorage uses the words clinical
    i would say they don't have a build in character.
    have had some MFD pickups i could not get the bassy attitude out of so i sold the Asat special.
    but together with @Rob DiStefano DIY no load pothttps://www.tdpri.com/threads/no-load-mod-your-guitar-bass-tone-or-blender-pot-2014.466061/
    i made myself a versatile 2 pickup guitar were i am in charge of the sound and can dial in the sound i am after.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  8. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I've had the BL L280N and L290B for 20 or so years and very good.

9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i tried the L200 to and a keystone strat set.
    the 280 was and is still my favorit, the keystone mid was the best ever but it would be hard to choose between a L280 ore microcoil with adjustable polepieces at neck (i have used the tele version of the microcoil)
    the warm round sound of that last one, the way it responded on playing, dang that was good

Geo likes this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Definitely not after a soft attack. I need that pole piece sound.

11. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DiMarzio Area Hot T is great. Also a big fan of the Chopper T. Have them on three guitars. The Area 61 Strat pickup is a great neck pickup.

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I am not familiar with the BL, but I do have the Areas.
    I would recommend one of the hotter bridge pickups.

13. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

I've tried the Area Hot T, Virtual Hot T (predecessor of Area Hot), Wilde L-200TL (Alnico 2 pole, hotter than the L45), and Wilde L-48TL (steel blades with Alnico bar). Can't really go wrong with any of these, but for versatility and responsiveness to volume and tone controls, both Wildes can't be beat. I wouldn't say the L-48TL has a soft attack, but just more hi-fi and even sounding string-to-string. For loud rock/blues oriented sounds with more attitude, my favorite is still the Virtual Hot T.

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

l45 is the soft attack, in my ear the keystone strat a little bit
    the l280/l200 have normal response but have a different tone flavour

15. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

I really like BL L298's, i have a few sets i bought over 10yrs ago. blt.jpg

16. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I have the L280TN matched with the L200TL (DiMarzio Area 67 in the middle spot). The L200 replaced the L280TL, which I had in there for many years, and which I loved. I love the L200TL even better. The L280TN is the best I’ve ever tried and is irreplaceable to me.

On my other Tele, I have the L280SL at the neck, DiMarzio Area 67 in the middle, and the DiMarzio Area 615 at the bridge. The Areas replaced the BL L280SM and L290TL that I had in there for many years, and which I loved dearly. The Area 67 is a brighter, spankier pup than the L280SM, giving me more quack in positions 2 and 4. The Area T615 is just amazing! Far more bite and snarl than the L290TL, as well as being slightly higher in output. Still sounds like a Tele, but bigger.

By the way, the two company’s products are OOP with each other when wired per instructions. You have to flip one or the other around for them to work together as they should. Both companies make excellent products, and they are priced competitively.

If I were to advise someone, I would suggest the BL L280TN for the neck position, and either the BL L200TL or the Area T615 for the bridge. The L200 is more like a traditional sound, and the 615 is a little more souped up.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    davguitar and 11 Gauge like this.
  17. Grateful Ape

Thanks. Two questions, if I may:

1) have you tried the Area t neck?
    2) what pots do you use?

18. Tele-phone man

I have not tried the Area T neck. For one thing, I have had the BL pickups since before the Area T arrived, and I have had no desire to replace them. Secondly, the specs for the Area T neck (output millivolts per DiMarzio website) leads me to suspect the pickup is too low in output to stand with the bridge pickups I have.

I use 250k pots on all of those guitars.

davguitar and Grateful Ape like this.
  19. Grateful Ape

What does the 280 sound like, and how does it perform?

20. Tele-phone man

The 280 has exceptional clarity, output similar to a stock Strat neck pickup, and an even tonal response. IOW, it does not really favor any particular band of the audio spectrum. With the tone control wide open, it sounds similar to a Strat neck pup, with perhaps a slightly flatter (fuller) midrange; not scooped, but definitely not mid-forward. Compared to their L200TN, the L280 is somewhat brighter and a tad higher output. They are not far from each other. Turn your tone control down, and you have a fabulous jazz tone. Better yet, try putting a switch and a 2.2nF cap in parallel with it. This shifts the resonant peak down to the upper midrange, and gives it an amazing, throaty midrange that I love for blues and jazz, better than the standard tone control. I call it my “smoke” switch, and I put one in each of my guitars. Puts the tone closer to a P90.

It’s also completely noise-free (both of them).

DeepDangler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.