bjfe/mad professor - little green wonder (altoids)

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
didn’t have much idea about this circuit. supposedly a TS variant, but looking at the schematic/layout, things get interesting, with distinctions like green LED soft clippers, a dual gang/pot ‘body’ control (in place of a tone control), and no output buffer.

549E57CB-5856-4E32-AC9C-380BD2759239.jpeg

E74CBB0F-CF3F-486E-8B3B-E6442437813F.jpeg

D3334B36-1524-4DD0-AB5D-92D167C77821.jpeg

38D77E4F-26ED-440C-92F1-9976D6A88130.jpeg

1BE3DD46-7103-40C8-8EAA-519C901AA179.jpeg

first impressions:
pretty clear and open sounding, huge output volume, drive control range goes from completely clean to overdrive, crunch, and then distortion if you really turn it up (not what i would use it for though). the body control is certainly unique and almost seems like it’s wired ‘backwards’, but reading reviews online, it seems it’s meant to be this way.

so far, seems like a great circuit.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice work. Builds made from scratch like that are challenging. Looks like you've eating a lot of Altoids lately.... I've been curious about the LGW. Looks like one of the more interesting TS variants out there.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
Nice work. Builds made from scratch like that are challenging. Looks like you've eating a lot of Altoids lately.... I've been curious about the LGW. Looks like one of the more interesting TS variants out there.
Cheers :) they've definitely been the most satisfying and enjoyable pedal builds I've done.
I'm glad I've pushed on with vero.
I don't mean any disrespect to those that dig it, but i don't really get much fun or satisfaction out of stuffing a premade PCB with components.. kinda feels a bit too "preordained".

true, the spearmint and original are getting a bit old. need to import some new flavours, it's a bit trickier to get hold of the fancier flavours in Australia. Keen for some cinnamon!

LGW is quite unique, it's unlike any of the other drives i've done recently. It seems to retain most of, if not all of the bottom end that is normally lost in a TS, less of an enhanced midrange than a typical TS, you can use it as a clean boost, the green LED clippers offer a real smooth and punchy drive, and quite a hot output (output volume control range is BIG).

doolbon

Tele-Meister
Nice work! Built the BJFE Honey Bee Overdrive on tagboard a few years ago. One of the few overdrives that never leaves my board. It also uses green clippers.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
Nice work! Built the BJFE Honey Bee Overdrive on tagboard a few years ago. One of the few overdrives that never leaves my board. It also uses green clippers.
thanks!
Ah nice, honeybee looks pretty interesting ...hard clippers following green LED soft clippers, an unusual opamp and tone control, some interesting feedback loops... on paper, seems like quite a unique design! - probably gonna have to add this one to the list 😅