1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bizarre return to the Strat that I can't stop! Causes? Prognosis??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RoscoeElegante, Aug 3, 2016.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

A "hey, all" from the deluge-y East Coast.

For the last month or more, I've been Strat-obsessed. This after falling so deeply for Teles for so many years that I've even gone equally Esquire-crazy. Tele PURITY, baby! And I've gotten hooked on P-90's and growly humbuckers, too. Strats sounded almost gimmicky to me. Yet now I get up in the middle of the night to play my S-types even unplugged.

I even KISSED one, when my Tele & Esquire weren't looking.

What's happening??

I'm loving this cycle, but fear for my planky mojo's!

Odder still, my S-types sounded miserable through my AC-15C1. Spikey. But now, they've got a golden glassiness. Add a little reverb, and, mamma! It's French bells doing the Mississippi shimmy, with just lace-like subtleties.

My only explanation: I raised the pickups on all my S-types. As far as playability and harmonics allowed. Could that be it? A simple increase in signal? I've never gotten this result before from pedal-boosting my S-types.

Tell me I shan't loose my Tele-itis! I HAVE OWNED A PICKUP TRUCK AND FIXED ROOFS AND YELLED AT BRATTY RICH KIDS, and when I smoked I smoked Luckies, so I am still Tele-qualified, right?

badfish_lewis likes this.
  2. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong with playing a Strat. I dig them! Everyone has different preferences at different times. For the last month or two I've been mostly playing my Les Paul with the P90s.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yep, I go through the same cycle. I'll play my LP into the marshall for months, thinking 'this is the sound', then one day pick up my strat, set it to the bridge and hit a chord through the fender amp, and think 'holy crap that is so crystal clear and awesome', and start playing the strat. Repeat. I think it's both the tone and the different feel of the guitars; variety is good.

badfish_lewis likes this.
  4. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat recently. I've always had no interest in strats. EVERYONE has one. So overused. So typical. Too curvy. Too bright. Too... Too... comfortable, beautifully glassy, versatile. Wait a minute... I think I love strats!

I found a great deal on a loaded mexican body earlier this year and decided to get a neck for it and see what all the fuss was about. I'd never owned a decent one, just a cheapo knockoff as a kid. So now I don't leave the house without my tele AND my strat.

vibrasonic likes this.
  5. JABSolstice

JABSolstice TDPRI Member

You have to have both. Besides, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I think playing different types of guitars is a good thing. It helps you from getting into a musical rut.

7. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Different guitars for different sounds. Be happy you have found your strat tone!

8. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Ebidis, Fendereedo, WigWam and 4 others like this.
  9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

After a year or so of focusing on my Strat and G&L Tribute ASAT with humbuckers, I pulled out my '52 RI Tele last week after having a dream that I was gigging with an old well-worn Telecaster. What a nice guitar! It's OK to "play around" with different guitars. They all need love.

10. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Strats are tight, dude. Teles are too. Life is good!

vibrasonic likes this.
  11. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I have a mild form of "Stratitus" myself. I'm not fully symptomatic, because I'm not forsaking my home-cobbled Telecaster-Shaped Objects for real Fender Stratocasters, but for a Laguna LE-300 "Super Strat" style thing mostly, and for my G&L Legacy. Oddly, I'm spending a lot of time playing through that middle pickup which those instruments have and my home-cobbled "TSOs" lack.

In my case, it'll probably pass.... Or not... It's all good, and nice to have two TSO's that sound different from each other, plus the two "Stratty" things I've got, because it keeps life from getting too sonically "samey."

12. RoscoeElegante

Thanks for the validation, kindl-y people!

But there is something weird going on nonetheless. Maybe I've been feeding the dog too many of the meds that the local Pod People keep giving me. (Blue M&M's are UNNATURAL!) 'Cause I've never so strongly and abruptly junked a smug aversion before. Of course, this all might mean I'm prone to absurd prejudices in the first place. But they make pedals so you don't have to face that possibility, don't they?

Also, today: power chords. Songs of power chords. Hours of power chords. On a Strat! End Times, people, End Times!

Seriously: I wonder what moods/personal changes are signaled by such sudden and extreme changes in playing and listening preferences.

I'm not Canadian, am I?

13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I can't help with your problem. If you have a Tele but are playing this 'Strat', you may be ill?

The kissing incident must never be repeated. With a 'Strat'.

14. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

The answer is simple really......you are a guitar man whore.

Bigpernz likes this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Smoke on the Water? If you find yourself playing Smoke on the Water (and wondering what a scalloped fingerboard might be like), then I'd say you need help... Professional help!

16. RoscoeElegante

Them's homey words, fighty!
    cee7c361c25bd59a15610f03f97aeb3c.jpg
    Which reminds me...my kids' broken xylophone would sound really good on my Epiphone.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Strats are awful.

Especially the 2 & 4 cliche-sound sqwack settings.

And - a Strat is my main guitar right now !:eek:

$200 MIM from CL w/ a full set of Vintage Fralins w/ the blender/universal tone mod.

It's a freaking Swiss army knife.

But - I still dislike Strats and carry this one w/out a case and pasted it with old skateboard stickers. Helped somewhat.

My Strat idol is Bob Mould because you barely even register that its a Strat when he's playing and he's had the same damn Am Std for 25 yrs now...

SolidSteak likes this.
  18. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

This is a normal phase and will soon pass. But then it will return again.. and the cycle continues. I have just come out of a Strat phase when trying to get my CV Strat into proper tune. Got frustrated and picked up the Tele - bang in tune and sounding great.

The Strat will be back though.

19. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I'm just the opposite. I currently don't have a tele but am looking. I'm intrigued about a Strat sounding "gimmicky" because I think the same of teles. I'm talking about REAL S/S, vintage sounding teles (what I'm looking for). Everyone is sticking everything in them now and they have lost their roots. I had a friend show me his with Gibson HB's in it. It begins to be a tele by body shape only and to me, is almost becoming a generic guitar.

20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Strats. Honestly, if I had to choose one type of guitar it would probably be a Strat.

So versatile...

SunnySky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.