Biyang 12 series?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by waparker4, Oct 22, 2014.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Has anyone seen these IRL?

[​IMG]

Doesn't make sense to me.. going from the big boxes of the 8 series to the nice MXR sized boxes of the 10 series which were smaller and better built than the Joyo competition, and now, when mini pedals are flying off the e-shelves, they go back to massive boxes with jacks on the sides.

I would assume the circuits haven't changed since the 8 series..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

They are branding these as "Classic Series" pedals based on the previous "Tone Fancier" series pedals.
    I'm thinking they may have had an overstock of the Tone Fancier pedals and decided to re-paint and rebrand to get rid of them?

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe the circuit boards, but the enclosures are new

4. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Ya don't know why they would go this way! Do agree that the Baby Boom series are really well made pedals though and sound great as well. One of the better chinese products out there.

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

you're right, the enclosures are new...they are Hammond style rather than the previous bent stainless steel with the exposed bolts.
    However I'm thinking the circuits are still the same judging by the similar layout of the knobs and toggle switches, and even the "off-center" DC jack is the same.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

7. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

I imagine they were commissioned to provide new enclosures by GFS or another manufacturing partner.

The Baby Boom series omitted several models from the Tonefancier lineup - Blues, Woody etc. It's possible the GFS or similar asked them to update the look of the Tonfancier series - without what I imagine would be the significant cost of tooling for miniature versions.

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think what is more likely is that Biyang probably had their "reps" circulate materials for the options as far as how their stuff could be rebranded/repackaged.

Biyang builds stuff on a HUGE scale, so they are another instance of what is basically a "one stop shop."

So they can or could do the stamped steel enclosures, or they can do a cast metal enclosure. They can do chrome plating, or they can do powdercoating. There's probably a fairly standard line of powdercoat colors, and probably an option for up to 3 colors silkscreen ink of the "reseller's choosing."

GFS/Eagletone/Akai/etc. then just pays a modest fee to have their graphics set up for the machines - basically a completely absorbed cost if ordering units in the thousands.

The graphics are all now in digital format, so no one from GFS/Akai/etc. even need be "locally present." And with the big orders, there's probably no setup fee for reruns.

There may even be an agreement to purchase the biggest bulk possible, because Biyang's options may change at some point. Case in point:

older Max Distortion colors: [​IMG]

newer Max Distortion colors: [​IMG]

...They probably also have a few options for knobs, knob colors and LED colors (in their catalog).

The way that "new PCBs" are designed (or can be chosen to be designed), Biyang should really only need one layout for small and one for big, and that can be put into any box. The DC jack just needs a rectangular cutout and pokes out the back, and the board mounted in and out jacks have these plastic washers to take up the slack on the inside of the box.

...I don't think Biyang does it, but they can also elongate the holes for the pots, so they can be off by as much as ~1/4" too. There's also less instances of the toggle being held on the exterior by a nut. It's possibly better that it's not there, as it will allow the switch to move slightly, and not pull at its solder points on the PCB.

Either Biyang or Joyo doesn't seem to, or rather need to, use cast aluminum, either - it seems to be that "good old potmetal stuff" that so many things are mass produced out of.

9. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Zinc alloy seems to be common in this industry.

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

had a brand new Baby Boom Tri-Reverb for my non-verb tweed amp. Was cool at first, sounded good, but I went back to my DD-3. Fired it up again last week, and it ***** the bed after only about 6 months of extremely light use. Wont go to that brand again.

11. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

I've had more expensive pedals than the Biyang go south on me. Cry Baby, for one, and a Marshall Jackhammer (not great loss there mind).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.