Biting the Bullet, as it were...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rockdog, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

All this talk of Squier Bullet Teles, I had to see what all the fuss was about. I got a good deal on an open box butterscotch FSR which arrives next week.

Question: do USA pots and switch fit?

2. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Usually you need to start with a new control plate and work your way up from there. They are plentiful.

3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I have a spare already loaded with a CRL switch. I know sometimes the control cavity depth on Asian imports isn't deep enough.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it's funny that everyone wants to change all the electrical hardware so quick. I bought a cheap-as-dirt Tele 12-string kit. It has the cheapest Chinese parts imaginable. But they work perfectly well. I was thinking about swapping them out, but replacing them all would cost almost as much as the guitar kit...

I decided to wait until something breaks or goes wrong before I start changing parts.

5. Skydog1010

I apologize, I meant that the holes are not normally large enough for better quality potentiometers in the Asian control plate. Also you may find that the control plate itself is not the same size, alignment with holes and cavity in body. And yes you are correct some of the cavities themselves are not wide enough or deep enough. Squier specifications are a fast moving Target, even for the same model, from the same factory during the same year.

Frustrating:mad:

Rockdog likes this.
  6. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

That's fair. For me, it's more of a feel thing. I just find American switches and pots tend to operate smoother. Of course that could all be in my head...

jhundt likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if you feel it, it is real.

Rockdog likes this.
  8. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I got a Bullet Tele last week (surf green). I measure the control plate cavity as 1 7/16" deep and the switch at 1 3/16" tall from plate to the pins.
    The black paint looks as if it should be conducting and is for shielding (judging by the strip of paint left of the control plate) but it rubs off with a light stroke of the finger.

Just had a chance to really play this guitar today. It sounds really good, and feels good. The wood on the neck is a bit rough, so I'll lightly sand it down. I'm blown away at how good this guitar is. I'll know in a year or so how it holds up.
    bullet_tele_pot_cavity.jpg

JK202, Skydog1010 and Rockdog like this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yes - I’ve run into the smaller control plate holes before. I just drill out the original plate with the next size drill bit that won’t go through the original hole - no idea what size that is ;)

I’ve not run into a body where the cavity was not deep enough for an Oak Grigsby switch, which is what I normally upgrade to. However, I have had them tight enough to ground out switch connectors on cavity shielding (Affinity series Squiers). A little electrical tape fixes that.

I don’t always upgrade the pots - sometimes if I have better ones on hand, but often, if they work fine I leave them. I do usually upgrade the switch because I do not personally like the feel of the PCB switches.

10. Skydog1010

I'm not familiar with the Oak Grigsby switch. I'm guilty of responding to threads before I carefully read all of the OP. But, I'm getting better.

JK202 likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

Rockdog likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

Apparently me as well :( . I have to ask myself now why I am contributing to this thread when the OP asked about USA spec parts in a Tele Bullet - I have no experience with Tele Bullets, so I have no idea... So I’ll shut up now ;)

13. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

My Bullet arrived this afternoon. I took a gamble on a blem level 2 and I lucked out. The only thing wrong with it is a missing tuning peg on the high E. No problem there as I have a spare set of Gotoh's I was planning to put on it anyhow. I was also pleasantly surprised to see 'Telecaster' on the headstock as opposed to 'Bullet'.

Apart from the tuner, I've yet to find any glaring flaws. Can't wait to plug it in. My initial impression is like others': this is a lot of guitar for not a lot of money. Consider me a happy camper. We truly live in the Golden Age of cheap guitars!

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

Wavecaster, johnnymg, SuprHtr and 3 others like this.
  14. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

What does the FSR stand for? I see some litsed like that and as LE.

15. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

"FSR" stands for Fender Special Run. These products are specially commissioned by individual dealers and built to their specifications. As they aren't regular production models, FSR instruments and amps aren't generally available to every dealer, and Fender seldom provide specs or listings for them on its website. Your local dealer, however, should be able to provide detailed specs for any FSR products they offer.

Limited edition is commissioned by Fender, usually available to all dealers. they usually go fast.

Chuckster and Akkorn like this.
  16. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

Thank you!!

17. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

There is really nice figuring in the maple, especially on the back of the neck.

Although the regular run of Bullets is said to have basswood bodies, this one, if I had to guess, is poplar. The telltale streaks are visible through the finish, and it feels weightier than any basswood guitar I've ever held.

18. johnnymg

johnnymg TDPRI Member

Congrats on getting a keeper. Those tuners are pretty crappy anyway so you're almost better off getting a discount and then replacing the tuners.

The Bullets can be VERY good guitars. I've purchased 3 and only had to return on dud.

Rockdog likes this.
  19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Typically, full-sized Alpha pots fit the original control plate holes.

Rockdog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.