Birthday NGD: P90 Partscaster Tele Content!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dreamingtele, Jul 25, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

First of all, a rant.. I dont know why Fender/Squier chose to discontinue this line, I think they were great guitars to begin with and different from the usual Humbucker and the traditional Single Coil layout of the Telecaster.

Why do they always do this? I mean, if its a great guitar, why discontinue it? its pretty much the way I felt when they decided to stop production of the AVRI62 line... Anyway...

I played this model couple of years ago and was surprised at the quality and tone from this guitar.. It's actually one of my favorite Squier telecaster models produced.

I never liked humbuckers, but P90's, is a different story, I got curious until I tried it the first time a couple of years ago. All I can say is, Wow. I never knew what I was missing.

Although I love the vintage radius and neck specs, I really dont bond with a pale maple neck.. unless it has the amber tint that CV's have (or roasted) and smoothened out.

But, I thought I'd buy it and replace the neck with rosewood board one.

But everytime this comes up for sale, I dont have the money, and when I had the money, they're impossible to find, especially the Black ones! I think I have passed on buying about 12 units of this model in a 7 year span..

and I'd still have to save up and buy the neck, so I figured, I'll buy a neck first then get this.. Then they discontinued it..

fast forward to 2018, I got a hold of a really nice, U-shaped, 1-inch thick, all rosewood neck from WD Music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got lucky I found one when it was around the time CITES banned import/export of Rosewood without papers.

I put it on my American Pro I had that time but it didnt last more than 3 months and I took it off to restore my American Pro to stock so I can trade it for an AVRI 62 I found in the pawnshop!

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.908114/

fast forward to Jan 2019, I thought maybe this is the year I can finally create a Partscaster with P90's and put this rosewood neck on it's forever tele body.. I thought this guitar for those times I want to rock and bring the house down.

So I did my research, what are the CURRENT "affordable" Fender models that have P90's apart from Modern Player (which cannot take a standard telecaster neck), None. There was the Black Dove tele which I wanted when it was released, but I think its a bit rare, and I couldnt find one for sale, and then shipping to Melbourne? NO.

There's a Jim Adkins model but its set neck, and I wont be able to use my Rosewood neck.

How about getting the humbucker version which is plenty available, and put P90's in HB format or the P94.. No, I dont want to spend more in getting pickguards, pickups, etc.

How about getting the 72 Deluxe (WRHB version) and change out the pickguard and hope that P90's fit in the routing.. No, they're much more expensive and I would have to spend more to get pickups, etc etc..

Okay, how about the Harley Benton TE-90QM? It looks nice, affordable, and most of all, P90's, semi-hollow, carved top, whats not to like.. Maybe this is it.. I put it in the cart and about to hit the buy button last month,

But apparently Harley Benton owners have had some problems with mounting a standard tele neck on theirs, and I cannot find a convincing number of sources to confirm that I can put a standard tele neck on it.. Even Thomann cannot (or won't) answer this.

My rosewood neck has been drilled, and I dont want to plug and re-drill, because that would cost me more money going to a trip to my guitar tech. I dont have experience doing wood work and I dont want to risk it.

Besides even if I can do that, thats the least of my problem as there's neck pocket fit, neck pocket depth and so on and so forth.. a whole lotta problems.

Second option to save up till the end of the year, and go for the more expensive option, Looked at Warmoth and third party Fender body makers for a finished Cabronita style P90 (2x) body, BUT its out of my budget..

I even tried to recreate Harley Benton Body and it costs around 695 USD from Warmoth. Other builders offer cheaper wood, but I would have to take it to a luthier to get it finished = more money...

Plus I have to buy a set of pickups, pickguard, hardware and all. and I do have a limited budget.. so this cannot be done by the end of the year..

So I was getting really frustrated as it's almost 7 months of waiting.. with a limited budget and no P90 Telecasters in sight..

There were plenty of thinline Modern Player P90's available, but a standard tele neck wont fit because its a true 22 fret neck.. And I dont like the colors..

But then 2 weeks ago, two were listed for sale.. a blonde and a black.. I dont like the blonde color and the seller was asking too much, while the black is a bit cheaper, from another state, but the seller is a friend of a friend. BINGO.

So I just messaged him and asked for his lowest price and for it to be shipped, we agreed upon the price but after a few days, something happened that needed some financial attention and then I came up short of funds.

I politely messaged the seller to have a good luck with the sale as I cannot buy it in his lowest price, but I also asked him if he we would consider selling me the body instead, saving on postage and making it cheaper for me to afford it.

I'm only after the body anyway..

The seller thought about it, and after a few days, we agreed on a price thats within my budget, includes postage and most of all, just the body+pickups and hardwares and he will find a use for the neck as he likes it very much.

And that he has two of it and only selling this one because it doesnt get used anymore. so he let go of it and shipped the next day first thing in the morning after sending him the payment..

and Viola, here it is..

[​IMG]

a Squier Vintage Modified TeleCustom II Body, Black with two P90's... Arrived today..

[​IMG]

First impressions, It feels like meeting someone really beautiful and nice for the first time, like I felt when I met my wife.

in as much as Id want a pristine condition body, this is a 10 yr old guitar that has been played but loved and well taken care off. I’m very OC but Id end up with a guitar with some scratches, and have some player wear after 10 years as well.

Good thing is, no dents/dings or paint chips. Its a actually better than I was expecting. I dont have to baby this anymore.

Body is light, Agathis. I’m not sure if its a good tonewood, Im gonna open a can of worms if I ask, I never really cared as I did have a very good sounding Squier Standard a few years ago and it’s Agathis.

And now, checking for fit for my Rosewood neck..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good tight fit!

2. dreamingtele

Screwed it up...

[​IMG][/url]

Put some strings and initial set up done!

[​IMG]

I did have to nudge the neck a bit to align the neck and have even spacing for low and high E on the edge of fretboard.

Good thing about the neck is that its frets have been levelled before when it was mounted on my Am Pro, and the nut has been worked on.. truss rod adjusted for 11's..

so it's just action and intonation..

[​IMG]

Second impression: Marriages doesnt always start great. It has to be worked on.

So putting on the neck might look like its very straight forward, but it did take some effort to get it aligned and do the set up. Especially on two different parts made by different manufacturers. Im just happy they fit!

And affordable guitars will always have the equivalent hardware. While I was setting this one up, I had to raise the saddles a bit to accommodate the thicker neck as its sitting a bit higher on the neck pocket, and then the saddle screws for low and high E, that adjust the height of saddles are slowly losing their thread. Its just slipping down everytime I adjust and tighten the string. It cant take the string pressure pressing down on it, and I get buzzes everywhere as it settles on a very low saddle height! But I managed to get turn it and get it up to where I want it to be. So thats the first thing Im ordering tomorrow. New bridge and saddles.

And everytime I try to adjust intonation, i have to do it carefully to not get the saddles and screws slip again. Had to do this a lot of times for an hour. Eventually, I just adjust intonation first then raised the action, and adjust again very carefully.

Beagle approved!

[​IMG]

I plugged this in and boy o boy. What a sound! I was planning to upgrade pickups and pick guard to something like Lollars or Duncan Antiquity, but I was surprised on how good it sounded! Fat, creamy, bell like tones. I felt like I’m playing a piano. Or at least, Thats how I think I was sounding when I was playing it.

Overall, I’m happy. This is the exact model I want with a rosewood neck.

Lessons learned: will I do this partscaster thing again? Absolutely, is it worth it? Totally. This is fun. I’ve always been a cheapo kind of guy. And getting cheap guitars and using them and making them play and feel nice and make them sound good is fun for me. I like the challenge. This is my 2nd partscaster and I think I love it and this rosewood neck will go to the grave with me.

Here it is with my AVRI 62

[​IMG]

3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Your patience paid off big time!

dreamingtele likes this.
  4. dreamingtele

Yes sir it did this time.

5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

Great looking guitar!! Congratulations.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

that is a great looking guitar. a tip for the next guy.... Duncan Phat Cats fit anything humbercker size. they are a really fine example of the P90

Journeyman 22 and Well Executed like this.
  7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work! That rosewood neck is a thing of beauty. Love p90's and the Duncan designed are darn good. Your 62 is just lovely.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Your patience and your resourcefulness led you to building a true gem. I love partscasters. If I could afford to build what I want custom or off-the-rack, maybe I would...but probably not. I enjoy building and tinkering too much. Enjoy!

9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

That's lovely, the rosewood looks absolutely killer. I have one stock with the maple neck and I like it the way it came. I did put a treble bleed into mine though - I found rolling down the volume muddied up the tone too much. It really brings out the detail in those pickups, so don't swap them out till you try the bleed cap.

10. dreamingtele

Thank you! Its just hard to photograph since its so black!

11. dreamingtele

I’ll take a look into it!

12. dreamingtele

Ive heard mixed reviews about the Duncan Designer. I was just, honest-to-goodness, surprised when i plugged it in.

I thought I like low output single coils, like the 62. As its just clear, spanky cleans. When I plugged this is, it was just in your face, articulate tone!

dogmeat likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

I wish I can build my own. Id probably have soo much teles in different configs!

Im okay with partscasters. Ive learned a lot just by building two. Though my setup skills need to improve.

14. dreamingtele

I tried rolling it off and you’re right, muddy!!

I want to put a tortoise shell guard on this and cream p90 covers. I’ll install a treble bleed once I have all the parts so its just one time big time change

15. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

@dreamingtele

That’s a lovely guitar! I’m not one to like black on black guitars but that just looks awesome! :cool:

16. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Very, very nice! You posted this a few days after I was spending time bemoaning my selling of my P-90 Tele a few years ago. Bad decision. Your Partscaster is beautiful! Congratulations!

17. dreamingtele

I actually want a candy apple red body, or the John5 gold tele, but this is the Squier model that has always been difficult to track down and find. And I dont like the blonde version of this!

jannodude likes this.
  18. dreamingtele

Thank you! Its my first time to have a p90 tele. I love it!

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

someone here on the forum once said... "I'd put P90s on my coffee cup if I could figure out how".. kinda agree.... good 90s are killer

20. dreamingtele

I’m honestly surprised. I thought it was just enough to sound good and people are raving about it because its decent.

But when i plugged it into my Vox 15R. I was shocked

dogmeat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.