Birthdate guitar, only took 4 1/2 years but it finally happened!

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Some of you may remember the thread I posted a couple of years ago when I was trying to buy an actual birthdate guitar for my son's 21st birthday, pretty much limited it to a Gibson because of the serial number system used. Concluded it eventually by buying a June 1997 Epiphone which was as close as I could find but I never did stop looking.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/birthdate-guitar-set-myself-a-near-impossible-task.1034982/

@TheGoodTexan assured me that he worked at the Nashville plant on the day in question, 10th of June, 1997 (91617***) so I knew there was at least going to be something out there, somewhere. Four and a half years after I started looking it finally appeared on an eBay listing. Must admit that from a financial viewpoint I was hoping to find a Les Paul Studio or a Songwriter acoustic but the one that came along happened to be a Dot Reissue ES335, wasn't going to wait until something else showed up if it ever did though, grabbed it while I could. Beautiful guitar, my son eventually got his proper 21st birthday present when he was 25!

I knew in my heart the Epiphone was always a bit of a cop out/stand in, was determined to find an actual birthdate guitar and it did happen. The Squier Affinity Tele in the last photo was his first ever electric guitar, from now on if he wants any more guitars he can buy them himself!

1656792915631.jpeg

1656793016767.jpeg

1656793093826.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Wow, nice. Well done!

My parents were not supportive of my guitar playing. When I was approaching my 21st my mother asked if there was something I would like, as it was a "special" birthday. There was a cherry red Ibanez 335 copy in a secondhand shop that I'd fallen in love with so I mentioned that. My mother said: "Hmmm. Well we thought we'd buy you a watch."

Don't want to sound ungrateful but, well, you know!

I got my first electric a few months later, when my girlfriend loaned me the money she'd saved up to buy a washing machine, and my boss gave me an advance on the following week's wages. It was a Hofner Senator, the same age as me. We're still together!

Anyway - well done - sorry to hijack your thread. Your story brought mine to mind!

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
That's impressive, you're a great dad!

About a year ago, I found a tele made the day a former employee was born. But he's a drummer, so it was just an ironic 4-1-97 us standard.....

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys, time to find my own birthdate guitar now. Tele neck codes only go by the month but as 3 is the code for a rosewood Tele neck that ties in nicely as I was born on the 3rd of March, 1961. I know it's a bit of a cheat but if I ever find a '61 Tele I can afford I wouldn't care! Not sure if they even used the neck type/month code in 1961, seen a few from 1962 so maybe just started using that system then.

Last edited:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Cool guitar and more importantly, your son's got a very cool Dad.