1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bireli Legrene

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chicago Matt, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

My wife Viviana, from Buenos Aires, has very, very good taste. Although some might say, taste in a husband, not so much. :)

Anyway, I walked past her office yesterday and this was playing. Just another fabulous musician that she has introduced me to over the past 24 years of our married life.

I wonder how many of my fellow TDPRI-ers are hip to him.

Here he is with Silvain Luc, playing a Miles Davis classic. Wow!!!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dazzling!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Great Player, been following him for years, He played Montreaux Jazz Festival when he was like 13 years old.

brookdalebill and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

He's a fave of mine. Amazing chops and a sense of humor that comes through in his playing. Also, I'm a fan of Joscho Stephan, while we're in this musical neighborhood.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Big fan. His Live at Vienne is joyful and frightening. He also did an album of Sinatra covers and sang them himself, and *well.*

Some guys...

Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

He's an AMAZING player. He kills it in the Gypsy genre but then he can go equally well into more straight ahead jazz guitar. he's a also an excellent bass player

Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m a fan! The owner of a now defunct local record store turned me on to him in the early ‘90’s. She knew I was a guitarist and used to recommend cd’s to check out. I have the Routes to Django” CD which I think was recorded when he was 12.

RoyalBaby and Chicago Matt like this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Thanks for the replies so far. I've been listening to more. He has an incredible range. Very inspiring. And I apologize for misspelling his name in the title of the thread. It is, of course, LAGRENE.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Nice guy too. Met him in a music store where i was working. He was trying out a bass - cant remember if he bought it. I guess I should mention that he was killin it on the bass too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

He was the boy wonder of jazz Manouche when we had a local hot club band going. I was watching John Jergenson and Richard Smith of the Hot Club of Nashville 3-4 times a year. I'm not surprised your wife likes the music, gyspy jazz is good stuff.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  11. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Bireli Lagrene and Sylvain Luc are very popular jazz guitar players here in France. Biréli is quite a versatile musician. I have a Cd he recorded while on tour with Jaco Pastorius ("Live in Italy") and at the time he was maybe 20 years old... Check this out. Great version of "Satin doll"!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  12. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I have a copy of Routes somewhere and the Jaco one although I haven't listened to either for years. I had old man tastes when I was young and lately I've been listening to all the punk rock I missed.

But, yes, talent really beyond my understanding.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Got introduced to him when he was a teen phenom. Also saw him live once. He was playing a free outdoor concert in Paris, and I happened to walk by. Talk about a happy coincidence!

brookdalebill and Chicago Matt like this.
  14. Chicago Matt

Yeah, way beyond mine too. Adding him to a very long, and ever-growing list. ;)

RoyalBaby likes this.
  15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

He's not only a master of the gipsy swing but also in modern jazz and on the electric guitar. He played a long time with Jaco Pastorius.

Here's a more recent clip:

BTW, the name is Biréli Lagrène.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  16. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw him with Miroslav Vitouš and a crack drummer, in the early eighties, smallish jazz concert in the foyer of some event centrum in the near to Stuttgart, excellent......but late in the concert groups of heavy metal fans where starting to enter the back of the area, waiting for the disco in the main hall to open, they where talking loudly, being disruptive, and obviously didn't appreciate the "JAZZ SH*T" the guitarist was playing.
    Biréli was getting a bit pissed off with them, and so dimed the volume of his guitar and let it rip with the most amazing burst of virtuoso heavy speed guitar solo I have ever heard, only about 45 seconds long, then turned the volume down and continued to play jazz. It stunned a shut-up most of the HM tossers, but sadly not all. None the less, a concert I will never forget.:D

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.