1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Birds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cenz, Dec 2, 2020.

1. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Most are desert birds. I do see a lot behind my parents house on a greenway.

We have invaders like the sparrow and eurasian dove.

Here are the woodpeckers:

220px-Ladder-back_Woodpecker_on_Cactus.jpg 220px-Gila_Woodpecker.jpeg

The left is the ladder-back woodpecker, and the right is the Gila woodpecker.
    They make a racket pecking on the sides of houses.

Others I forgot about: hummingbirds and burrowing owls, along with several species of hawks.

Boreas likes this.
  2. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I have had a bird feeder up for years, but I took it down recently because it attracts raccoons into the yard and my dog and the raccoons get into some pretty nasty fights. The dog always wins, but she got into a close-quarters fight with a big one behind my shed and wound up needing a bunch of stitches. She's almost 11 so I want to discourage brawls with wild animals.

Even without the feeder I see all kinds of birds in the yard that we never saw in the city until a few years ago. Nuthatches, Kinglets, Finches, Orioles, the occasional Grosbeak. Lots of Blue Jays and Cardinals.

Boreas likes this.
  3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

We've got lots of 'em here. My girlfriend is a birder and we feed them all the time. She's amazing with them - on a walk in the woods she can tell me what bird any birdsong we hear belongs to. There are many species in the yard, and every now and then a hawk - we have a few species of those around, too - will swoop down and take a bird for dinner. If you feed birds, you have to understand that you're feeding all the birds.

electrichead and Boreas like this.
  4. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

About 7 years ago my wife and I decided to start a Monarch Waystation in our backyard. We planted all native varieties of flora and trees like river birch and a couple kinds of willow (one I can't print the word for here), and cup plants, different types of cone flowers. And lots more.

The affect was almost immediate. Not so much with birds at first but 6 legged stuff. It was amazing. Things I've never seen before floating around all over the yard.
    Not to mention the Monarchs of course.

But the birds came too. Just about everything mentioned above (at least from this hemisphere). We did put feeders out there especially in the spring so the breeders could get their strength up for that ordeal.

Most of them were put away from the house and towards the back of the property with the thought that they wouldn't be as tempted to use them if they were closer to the house.

Boy was I wrong. This past spring I put a couple just outside my back windows where I have my pc and a comfortable chair and everyday I have the whole crew going at these feeders.
    It's marvelous. If you've never seen a junco or a female cardinal a foot from your face you'll never see how absolutely beautiful they are.

Sorry. A little long winded.

Cheers ya'll

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I get blue jays, scrub jays, cardinals, titmouse, chickadees, mourning doves, Mexican doves, flickers, woodpeckers, finches and wrens.
    Earlier this year, there were loads of hummingbirds.
    It’s a great joy seeing them at the feeders!

cenz likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I fill up the fresh water in my bird bowls every day... but only feed them @4 in the afternoon with set amounts of food...

some seeds out front for the seed eaters and I toss some mince out to the meat eaters on the back lawn....or they come sit next to me and take balls of mince out of my hands, if I choose to...

I don't leave food out all the time, only water.... :)

cenz likes this.
  7. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I've got an owl outside somewhere. I've never seen it, but I hear it every night. I also have a pack of wild turkeys that walk around outside my window. There used to be a lot of sparrows and smaller birds around, but I think the owl may have scared them off. There are also loads of frogs that I hear at night. I suspect the owl in the neighborhood has found a good spot as long as it doesn't run afoul of my trigger happy landlord who kills any wildlife inconveniences.

cenz likes this.
  8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Looks sort of like a ruffed grouse.

cenz likes this.
  9. RedRhino

RedRhino TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

For some reason I thought this post was going to be about McGuinn or Crosby .. .. ..

cenz likes this.
  10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

A Rhode Island Red?

We have about 6 feeders (seed and suet) and a birdbath out, and we put out hummingbird and oriole feeders in the summer. Here in coastal South Carolina we have a huge variety of birds.

cenz and schmee like this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's one of the neighbor's chickens, she comes up here all the time and had chicks under our deck this summer!

cenz and Boreas like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

We get it all coming through here twice a year.

We drove along the main river today and the swans and snow geese have arrived by the dozens. We have been watching these grow in numbers over the last ten years or so. They pretty much don't "winter" here, but hang out for a month or so until the river freezes over.

Living here in the deep forest, we see and hear quite a variety of woodpeckers and hummingbirds. As a very amateur bird watcher, it is quite fascinating to see species arrive on exactly the same day each year.

cenz likes this.
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just turned summer here, most of the local birds have young chicks following them around now.. calling for food...

waa waa waa waa waa....:lol:

cenz likes this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would say it is YOUR chicken now!

cenz likes this.
  15. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Poster Extraordinaire

we get a wide variety, here's a few starting with a Blue Tit
    [​IMG]
    and a Bullfinch
    [​IMG]
    a Chaffinch
    [​IMG]
    Goldfinch
    [​IMG]
    Greenfinch
    [​IMG]
    Starling
    [​IMG]
    and the occasional visitor that likes to eat all of the above, a Sparrowhawk
    [​IMG]

16. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

We’ve about half a dozen feeders hanging from trees at the back of our house. Mix of sunflower hearts, Niger seeds, peanuts, suet pellets, suet balls.
    Huge variety of birds come to entertain us.
    Chaffinch, goldfinch, bullfinch, greenfinch, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, sparrow, wren, robin, blackbird, thrush - that’s what I can see right now as the morning feeding flurry gets wound up

Fergyuk, Boreas and cenz like this.
  17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Just so we are on the same page.
    These are red-headed woodpeckers:
    EBC437B6-03F2-4D4B-9614-BEC6282A2E3D.jpeg

These are red-bellied woodpeckers:
    405255C1-6944-474E-9925-DF263FDEB39E.jpeg

Sometimes they are confused. Red-headed woodpeckers are usually not seen in suburban backyards, unless you live adjacent to a farmer’s field, or you live out in the middle of nowhere.

The red-bellied woodpeckers will come to a suet feeder no matter where you live, except maybe in a true urban area.

18. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

I’m aware. I live on the edge of farm/woodlands. Never saw a red bellied woodpecker.

The Red head didn’t come to the feeder. I have a Japanese elm in the yard and that’s where he went. Hung out for a minute or two and headed out to parts unknown.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I have a question: If we call a group of crows a "murder of crows," would it be appropriate to call a group of grackles a "crackle of grackles," given some of the sounds they make? :)

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

My question is: What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

WalthamMoosical likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.