1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Birds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cenz, Dec 2, 2020.

1. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

I have 2 feeders and a suet cake in my back yard. We get Cardinals, Blue Jays, Nuthatches, Juncos, Gold, Purple and House Finches, some type of Sparrow (not a European Tree Sparrow), Chickadees and Downey Woodpeckers.

Today I got a Red-Headed Woodpecker. First time I’ve seen one in 3 years.

Definitely a kool bird.

2. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

I throw peanut's out on my deck and yard for the squirrels.
    It seems to attract bluebirds(think they are called that) and man are they mean.
    The squirrels head for the hills until the birds have had their fill..

It seems even the neighborhood cats stay out of their way..

cenz likes this.
  3. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Well your lucky! I am in the UK and the countryside has been raped by the farmers and the developers, so there is no birds left:(
    We have feeders in the garden and get a few house sparrows and starlings...that is it. But they love it when I play my Uilleann Pipes, the Sparrows come really close to the windows chirping and the lovebirds I have down stairs start calling! The UK is overstocked....with humans and we are letting hundreds of extra thousands in every year:( I got my Telecaster and my Pipes and live in my world and try to not think too much about "Outside"

cenz likes this.
  4. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I only have one small feeder in front of my kitchen picture window. I love watching the little things.

Lately though, several birds will alight on the feeder and just spit the seed out onto the sidewalk/porch below. It's the craziest thing. They just leave them there. So, I remove the feeder (mobile-type hanger) and they'll eventually eat the seed on the ground - they won't if I leave the feeder up. Once the seeds they've spit out of the feeder have all been eaten, I put the feeder back up.

This is the first year I've seen this behavior out of many years of having the hanging feeder.

cenz likes this.
  5. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I swear I see more types of birds now than when I was a kid.

A couple of types of woodpeckers - Gila and ladderback. Small finch like birds. Lots of grackles. Quail. Roadrunners. And lots of sparrows, pigeons and doves.

We don't have a lot of colorful birds here, but some interesting ones.

cenz and Boreas like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

We get many here, Flickers, small birds, many Steller Jays, Doves, Grossbeaks etc.
    Anyone know what kind of bird this is on my bird feeder?
    [​IMG]

OlRedNeckHippy, cenz and Boreas like this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

when I was a kid (in Oakland CA) we always had a bird-feeding platform right outside the window. I loved the birds, and used to catch them in an old-fashion box-trap so that I could band them. My mother was in a constant mock-battle with the squirrels, who would take all the nuts off of the feeder. Her desk was right behind the window; if she left the window open a little, the squirrels and the scrub jays would come right in and take peanuts out of the can.

I don't have a bird-feeder at present; but I always have a pocket full of peanuts to give to the crows.

cenz likes this.
  8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

We're lousy with hummingbirds even without feeders, but I'm putting two out next year. We get some neat Woodies up in this part of the state (red naped sapsucker), but the terrain around me isn't exactly woodsy, and I've never seen or even heard one here.

cenz likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We put out hummingbird feeders

cenz likes this.
  10. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Sad :(:(
    We've protected ourselves from natural predators.
    The one with the largest brain wins.

cenz likes this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Likely House Sparrows if the males have a black bib. Introduced, invasive, and a very nasty species!

Red-bellied (edited) Woodpeckers are expanding their range northward. We are seeing them more regularly here in the northern Adirondacks. Great birds. They sometimes will nest in a box if you are so inclined. But you will have trouble with House Sparrows trying to nest in virtually any box you put up. Dispatch them with extreme prejudice - they are not a protected species in the US and are considered pests.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    catdaddy and cenz like this.
  12. Boreas

You can't just put any old feed in a feeder. Most birds will not eat millet which is the main seed in cheap birdseed mixes. Try sunflower seeds or sunflower chips/hearts. They won't spit those out! Niger seed also works well for finches.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    gtrwrks and cenz like this.
  13. Boreas

Sounds like you would do well to put out bird baths and watering stations. In dry areas, water can be more important than food!

rghill, trev333 and cenz like this.
  14. Boreas

Those would be Blue Jays. Yes, they can be aggressive! Bluebirds are very meek, and not likely to eat whole peanuts. They prefer insects and fruit this time of year.

39martind18 and electrichead like this.
  15. Boreas

I am not familiar with grouse/partridge in the NW, but it looks like a chicken to me... See if a KFC bucket scares it away.

electrichead, Mad Kiwi and schmee like this.
  16. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Could be a house Sparrow. It’s bigger than a tree Sparrow.

I use Nyjer for the finches and Songbird seed for the big feeder. I try to get a bag with more oilseed in it. I stop feeding them in April, mainly due to the freaking Grackles.

At my place in NW Wisconsin, we get Indigo Buntings for two weeks or so in late May, Bluebirds, Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Orioles, Gold and Purple Finches, Trash Birds, Cardinals and Blue Jays, 4 or 5 different kinds of Hummingbirds, Ruby Throated mostly, throw in a few Eagles, Hawks, Herons and Trash Gulls and you got a bird paradise.

Boreas likes this.
  17. Boreas

What do you consider "trash birds"? Sounds like a similar menagerie to what we have here in the Adirondacks, except we only have Ruby-throated Hummers. I don't feed in the summer either. I feed irregularly through the winter so that the birds don't get too used to the handouts and to cut down on disease and predators. But I try to feed in bad weather.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

19. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Tree Sparrows, Starlings, Grackles, Gulls, Brown Headed Cowbirds, Catbirds and types like them.

They’re always welcome, except the Grackles. No color, no song.

Don’t have Starlings in MN where I am. NJ (where I lived for 59 years)is overrun with them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Boreas likes this.
  20. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Stood and watched one go to work on the limb of an oak tree whilst walking the dog the other morning. Amazing animals.

Boreas and cenz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.