1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

birds and stones? trem pedal to tame deville volume pot?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by parsnip, May 18, 2020.

1. parsnip

parsnip TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I've been working on taming my blues deville. Planning to deal w/ the linear volume pot issue w/ a volume box or EQ pedal w/ volume in the effects loop (as well as V1&2 tube swaps). But I'm also thinking about getting an inexpensive tremolo pedal, and I see one some folks like here has a volume control on it. Valeton Wave Shark. I don't need an EQ pedal for what I do, but I'm interested in tremolo.

Would it work to pop the trem pedal in the effects loop, keep depth, speed and bias at 0 and just use it as a volume box? Then dial up the trem when I need it? Or when the pedal is on, is it always going to be doing more to the sound than just controlling the volume. (Like is 0 on speed actually "really slow" and 0 on depth actually "not too deep" but I'd always have some trem effect w/ the pedal engaged?)

I like to keep things simple. And I don't need to make fast changes to engage tremolo, so this seems like it might work.

Thanks for any insight.

2. parsnip

parsnip TDPRI Member

also seeing voodoo labs pedal. a little more money, but used might work.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

A 5751 or a 12AY7 in V1 helps change that amp in more than one way and is the simplest way to improve these amps, ime. The volume pot’s sweep changes...the volume comes on more gradually and there is more precision in the movements. The overdrive characteristics also change for the better due to the change in the gain. Using something in the effects loop to control the volume does not change what goes on in the preamp but rather simply establishes a pre-phase inverter master volume there.

4. parsnip

parsnip TDPRI Member

Cool. Thanks. Already swapping out v1 for sure. Do you think I could use the volume pot in a tremolo for that change in sweep? I‘Ve never used one of those pedals and I can’t really try one out now. Thanks!

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

dense I am and don’t understand the question? Imho, there is no reason at all to wonder about the volume pot in the Blues/Hot Rod amps when a simple tube change in V1 cures the clean channel volume issues and makes the overdrive much better at the same time.
    Now, IF you 2ant a master Volume for the clean channel, a control in the effects loop could function for you in that capacity.....but I see no need for it. Ommv.

6. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I f you are so concerned about amp volume trade that one in on something less loud

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.