Birdman, or my final Art Film

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GeorgiaHonk, May 8, 2016.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Perhaps deep down you like being depressed and like things that feed depression. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If some people are incurable optimist, I suppose the world finds balance in some of us being incurable pessimist. Personally, I don't care for bad endings, I've encountered enough of those in my own life. I know in most cases happy endings are make believe, but isn't most of life? Lots of things in our life are not real, we just pretend they are, sometimes forever, or at least until that big sandman visits that puts us to sleep for the last time.

Note:

Some would find my closing statement depressing, I find it neither depressing, or uplifting, only true. There is a difference.

2. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Misery loves company.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a great discussion of the film. I like being able to explain why I like something or don't like it. I like others to explain to me why they like or don't like the film. As a bonus, I especially like having someone explain to me why THEY think I may or may not enjoy the film.

The only hiccup was when someone tried to say that you have poor taste if you don't enjoy the picture. Thanks for all other views!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Not to be presumptuous, but I wonder if that's similar to Blues music's appeal. After all, the blues always sound great but they never have the guttural effect like they do when you are down on your luck. Maybe a depressing movie puts your own situation in perspective, or maybe allows you to feel better because it drives home the fact that it's not a rare occurrence to be depressed.

5. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Yeah that was a speed bump but I took it with a grain of salt.

Maybe we could have a regular movie discussion group, although I'm usually a year or so behind the rest of the world.

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I thought Birdman was phenomenal!!! You know, Michael Keaton played Batman in Tim Burton's Batman, right? That adds to the intricate layers! And the voice talking to MK is Batman? And yea, as someone else pointed out, it's more a film about how we age and handle the glory days that may be behind us!

Ira7 likes this.
  7. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

there is something wrong with someone who doesn't enjoy the movie, because birdman is objectively good. each scene is well acted, each scene serves a purpose, the editing is seamless, the story is airtight and unpredictable, the visual effects aren't overdone, the music is oddly appropriate for the movie, the experience leaves you with just as many questions as it answered, etc. birdman's flawless. it deserved its academy award.

8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I was hoping to watch Birdman tonight, but it's not happening. I thought it was available streaming via Netflix but apparently not.

Edit to add: Curiosity killed the cat, but in this instance curiosity cost me $12.99 to watch Birdman tonight on Amazon.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. Toto'sDad

I don't believe a response is required or needed to the highlighted statement. There have been others before you who have held similar views regarding their superiority in knowing what is right for others, but not usually confined to movies. I would submit though in regard to your observation that is is OBJECTIVELY good, perhaps you don't understand the difference between objective and subjective. If it were indeed objectively good, there would be no need for argument.

william tele likes this.
  10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, after that succinct explanation I can see the error in my thinking. Since you are able to so accurately evaluate and differentiate between good taste and bad taste, would you be able to create a website that I could check to make sure my choices in life are actually correct...and tasteful?

One more question: It says you live in Springfield. Do you, by any chance, know a fellow named Homer Simpson?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

about the only argument i see against birdman here is a handful of people who can't wrap their head around metafiction, specifically that it's a "movie about a movie." except it's not, it's about a washed-up actor trying to reinvent his life and career by staging a play based on an author who inspired him, so that alone begs the question of whether or not the OP even watched the movie.

12. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

The film delivers great acting. Exceptional, rarified air. Every minute and second of the film is worth watching, and I'll watch it again many times.

The metaphor of the film for a guitarist is imagining the acting as a perfect technical guitar solo. Is a perfect technical solo also true music? In the same context, does world class acting make a world class film?

As an achievement in life and art; Honor for cast and crew.

As an achievement as a movie; Whomever had control of the final cut deserves a world class fail.

william tele and Ira7 like this.
  13. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you misspoke. Objectively recognizing greatness doesn't require one to enjoy it.

14. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

I could probably cite a dozen examples of showcase buildings that won prizes for their architects but are universally despised by the public. Or widdly guitar solos that are sweated over by Steve Vai wannabes while music-lovers skip to the next track. Perfect execution is always admirable, but it's not enough to make a thing objectively good, beautiful or enjoyable.

Tele1966 likes this.
  15. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

If this is sarcasm, WELL DONE my friend. Lol.

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  16. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

I am the OP, and I watched the movie. Your assertion that I "can't wrap my head around meta fiction" is hilarious considering you don't know my tastes outside this particular movie. When you say something is "objectively" good, you need to grab a dictionary. (That's a book we old farts used before Google.) Or you could read through the responses on this thread. Plenty of other posters disagreed with my opinion without your tactic of condescension and insulting my taste and questioning my intellect.

One more thing: get over yourself.

william tele likes this.
  17. meric

meric Tele-Holic

C'mon PaisleyAddict was only being cheeky....such a stinker of a movie...he must be having us on eh wot?

GeorgiaHonk and william tele like this.
  18. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Okay:

Let's argue about "Brooklyn" now.

Loved that too!

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Navigating the face action on Emma Stone as an avoidance of middle age men in briefs was my internal car chase that got me through the movie.

GeorgiaHonk and teletimetx like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Now there's a possibility I had not thought of in a long, long time.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.