Birdman, or my final Art Film

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GeorgiaHonk, May 8, 2016.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I was replying to TD's post as I thought his made a more sweeping commentary not only on the state of the film industry, but also what we want and expect from it. Maybe you're just overly sensitive to the proportionately few films made that take a look inside the Hollywood machine.

Anyway, overlooking whose post I was replying to may infer some of your own self-fascination, yes?

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agreed. I found Birdman really refreshing in the crap forest of movies of late. Rarely go to theaters anymore & saw it on HBO or something. Dug it & will watch it again.

mitchfinck likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have TWO copies of Open Range, TWO copies of Tombstone, and TWO copies of Wyatt Earp, I have a copy of Pale Rider, and the Outlaw Josey Wales, and EVERYONE should have a copy of SHANE! Having said all that I have NEVER been flipping through the channels, and run onto Open Range that I didn't finish watching the rest of it. It did kind of create a stir that time when they were burying Uncle Fred, and I was an hour late to the graveside, well OK that's estimated, but the backhoe was already there.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

The vanity of actors couldn't be displayed more elegantly than pictures before a height scale ruler depicting Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger as being 6' 2" tall as they were being booked into jail in one each of their movies. I'll bet ya old Sly isn't much taller than Little Jimmy Dickens. Arnold would only be 6' 2" tall if he were standing on Sly's shoulders.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You mean there's more? o_O

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

But not when they have Aliens with the Cowboys! That's the last Western I watched.

7. tap4154

Arnold is more like 5' 10" (with dress shoes). Shook hands with him at an event years ago. Don't really care about that though, movies are all about illusion anyway. Actually preferred when actors kept to themselves more, with more of a mystique to them. Hard to suspend disbelief when you know too much about the actor's real life & thoughts.

8. Toto'sDad

I don't care about their height, really I don't, it's just silly when they make an issue of it. I'm sure Arnold and Sly are both decent guys. I've heard in real life that Sly is really sensitive about his height though. I'm been tall seems like all of my life, it just makes it harder to find clothes that fit, and shoes for your big ol' long feet.

9. tap4154

Sly is about 5'7". I'm a stocky 5' 9" but never had a complex about it. Funny, but most my friends are taller, but I never think about it unless they bring it up. Sometimes it seems like tall folks have a complex about bragging about how tall they are - especially when you beat them in a task, or sport :)

Actually I love being shorter because when skiing it's less far to fall, also fit in tight places better - and can escape tight places much faster :D

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Even though I'm fairly tall I once made the mistake of putting the gloves on and entering the ring with a guy much taller, and much bigger than I was at the time. You know that story about David and Goliath, well I guess the big guy never read it, my nose kept getting in the way of those big old gloves on the end of those big ol' long arms of his, and no matter what I tried I couldn't get inside of them. That day David went home with a sore nose and jaw. Near as I could tell, Goliath was A-OK! :(:)

tap4154 likes this.
  11. tap4154

Did I mention that my hands hang at my kneecaps?

But seriously, I love my height, and length.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Taking note of extremely long arms can be submitted as being quite high on the list of things to be considered before launching a challenge. Unfortunately, often times when weighing one's options they are often influenced by the remarkable argumentative skills of one Mr. Jack Daniels. I tend to avoid that man these days. ;)

13. tap4154

One advantage of being below 6' is that during your lifetime you find far better things to do than to challenge folks approaching 7' to a boxing match.

Again, who has the complex?

Who is smart?

I've never challenged anyone to box or fight to prove anything.

No need, even when urged on by Jack...

BTW, Michael Keaton "Birdman" listed at 5' 10". which mean 5' 6" ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

What you say makes an awful lot of sense. I have submitted right here on these pages that my propensity for riding in Crown Victoria automobiles (whose drivers are really, really good at settling disputes) disappeared altogether when I severed relations with Mr. Daniels. He seems like a really nice guy when you first become acquainted, but I learned it don't pay to run with him.

tap4154 likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Your opinion is certainly worth as much as mine (maybe even more on the open market), but if you look again at my post I said from the start my opinion was contrary to popular opinion, then stated quite clearly that MY opinion was of a different nature. Further I made no effort to assume the duties of speaking for humanity, but stated what I enjoyed. This at first glance may appear pretty self serving, even selfish. However I would also point out that when I watch a movie it is I who must pay the price of admission, not the general populace. So, in my opinion, if a movie doesn't suit me for whatever reason, it falls under the heading, not worth the price of admission. :cool:

Chud likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Has this thread gone off at a tangent?

I wanted to post a comment on film making and
    investors. Also the fear of losing on new stuff so
    now we're back to Ben Hur 11 ( like True Grit)!!

Oh well, we could always discuss Rocky 6, after going
    on about the other 5.o_O

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

You say that like it surprise you.:)

18. tap4154

It went off the interstate for a Slurpee. Now back onto the 5 northbound. In fact I wish I had Birdman on DVD. Kinda want to watch it again right now. One of those flicks that has many interpretations. Makes you think.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Now we're back to films. Great!
    There's some Euclidean geometry for me to work out.:confused:

20. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

i don't know how anyone could dislike birdman. the movie was pretty brilliant. maybe your taste in cinema is just terrible.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.