Birders Sign In

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Papa Joe, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I've always enjoyed the birds but never before as much as lately..
    I've planted a lot of things in my yard that attract birds and butterflies..
    This summer I saw a lot of activity. So I put out a couple of feeders as well as humming bird feeders..
    That brought still more..
    The winner was a little black capped chickadee..The little rascal looked like he had a Mohawk..And he let me get close to him..Now I'm hooked..
    I did a lot of on-line study on their habits and how to attract them. Watched a bunch of videos on building houses and feeders..That's gonna be my winter project..
    No doubt there are others here who are in to birding..Let's hear from you.. Any tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated..

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Lots of birds around here.... good company....:)

it's spring here and I can hear some babies in the groups of visitors....

Put out a water dish and you'll be surprised how fast the local birds find it..... for drinking and bathing...

I put some sunflower seeds out most afternoons on the front porch for the seed eaters and toss a bit of mince for the meat eaters out back....

DSCN0620.JPG

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep, I love birds. I'm in the woods essentially , so plenty up here, although I miss some lowland birds. Many Raptors here. My favorite small bird is the swallow. They are so playful and pretty, They just glide around everywhere. The Swans will arrive for the winter soon in the local fields.
    [​IMG]
    Near my bird feeder last year:
    [​IMG]
    Grossbeaks in the feeder:
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I found this Horned Owl dead 10 ft from my door one am:
    [​IMG]
    The Raven is one of my favorites, they make a deep "clucking" sound in the trees some times:
    [​IMG]
    Flickers all over this area too:
    [​IMG]

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m a real amateur, but love to watch them come to the feeders. Especially like the hummingbirds. We only have Ruby-throated hummers here, but they’re amazing creatures. Saw the last ones about two weeks ago; supposedly there are both migratory and non-migratory ones here, but we never seem to have any of the homies who don’t migrate.

Those birds on Trevs feeder are spectacular; ours are more sedately plumed, Goldfinches and Cardinals (male) are the most colorful ones we get here,

JustStartingOut and kidmeatball like this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My GF is a world class birder, she leads birding tours in Central Park and on Long Island a few times a year. We actually met birding, though I'm more about photographing them, she's into identifying as many species as she can each year. we are both Audubon Society members and spend a lot of time together watching birds and traveling to see birds.

This is the bird that brought us together.

DSC07477.jpg

Here she is flying our friend's RTH
    DSC01214-1fb_zps5905f752.jpg

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Most likely the victim of eating a poisoned rodent. It's a huge problem for raptors. People do not think about this when they use rat and rodent baits. If a scavenger were to eat this owl, it would most likely die as well. People need to think about what they are doing and use safer methods.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Great photos.

Curious if you were able to determine the cause of death with the owl.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The Chickadees are trusting, inquisitive, and want to know what you're doing. When I'm loading the seed feeder the Chickadees will fly up and perch within 3 feet of me. So will the Downy Woodpeckers if I stand still for a minute or two.

Here outside of Buffalo, NY we have an acre with mature trees, woods all around, and a gigantic creek in back. This year we've seen 5 kinds of woodpeckers: Downy, Hairy, Red Bellied, Flicker, and to our surprise, the crow-sized Pileated. We've heard Saw Whet, Screech (they don't screech), and Long Eared owls, and seen Barred and Great Horned owls. We see the GF owls at least once a week: perched about 90-100 feet up in the big trees. They're 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall and truly the most badass thing a small mammal doesn't see or hear swooping down toward it in the dark.

We put down cracked corn in the back for the Mallards who live at the creek. By Winter we'll have a daily census of 40 to 60 Mallards. They've been fed cracked corn on this property since the 70s, at least. Given the type and quantity of Native American tools we find here, Mallards have probably been eaten on this property since 7000 BC. We have Coopers, Red Tailed, and Rough Shouldered hawks that pluck a duck (no jokes, please) off the ground now and then.

Ideas? Do lots of online research. A seed feeder, a couple of suet cages, and a bird bath, all well-placed will entertain you forever.

Here's the best I can do for a night pic of one of the Great Horned Owls out back...

gf_owl_sm.jpg

9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I was a huge birder in my teens and early 20’s back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Traveled to SE Arizona and the sierras numerous times and chased vagrants. Did many many Xmas bird counts. Got my US life list past 600. Then general life took over: college, jobs, women, then international travel and living. Married 18 years ago and have two kids now and family has been the main focus. I still birdwatch constantly by eye and ear just rarely have the binoculars with me anymore. I plan to pick it up again but lately the guitar has become my main hobby after photography.

JustStartingOut likes this.
  10. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

We had a great horned owl come visit a little while ago. All the birds in the neighborhood lost their ****. We had a robin nest in a hanging basket right outside the front door and she was freaking out over this owl. Mama robin was squawking for hours while dada robin dive bombed the big owl. The bushtits and the chickadees were all over the place too. About five or six hummingbirds got up in owl's face. Man it was quite the summer!

I got to watch three baby robins for a few weeks while they fledged and mama stole blueberries from the local farm to feed them. I watched the last one jump down from the nest and hop across the road to where I assume his brothers went.

We also found a bushtit nest just outside our front window. Those guys are a little hard to spot what with how tiny they are.

The eagles around here are crazy in the spring. Thousands of them. They line the streets in the big deciduous trees before the leaves come in. Its kind of eerie, all these huge birds, twenty to a tree just hanging around.

archetype and JustStartingOut like this.
  11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Yeah I saw that about the chickadees..One person said they would sometimes sit on his hand..
    I'm lucky to have a neighbor and good friend that is an outdoors man from way back..He's educating me on birds..I see a bird that I don't recognize and when I describe it he tells me what it is..
    So far I've seen cardinals, gold finch, mockingbirds, swallows, blue jays, robins, doves and a bunch of sparrows..
    We have two big ponds here ..Every year a pair of geese that hatch 6 or 7 young..A muscovy and what I think is a mallard. the ducks stay year around and will come right to us for food..

kidmeatball likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I've had to protect some juvenile owls around here that were getting hounded by a team of mockingbirds. I can always tell when there is an owl in my trees because the mockingbirds just go bonkers and try to dive-bomb it constantly.

kidmeatball likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

If I didn't live in a condo I'd hang some feeders up. We can't have stuff hanging out last the balcony and I don't want want bird mess all over the place so that's out. I do put a hummingbird feeder up though .There is one that comes over the railing to feed .I wonder when they come back to this area in the spring. I didn't see it until August when it started looking my plants over

14. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    I feed the hummingbirds from early May to mid-September (Ruby throated) and have feeders out all winter for the other birds. There's a lot out there! Great horned owls are in the back woods and it makes me smile everytime I hear or see them.

I follow a birding group and will go out on a run to see 'special' birds that are in the area. It's fun.

15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Count me in as a birder. December 1st I will put out the feeders, the bears should be hibernating by then. I agree with you Papa Joe about the Black Capped Chickadees, they've been my favorites for years. Cheery little guys that take one sunflower seed at a time and practically perch on my head when I'm filling the feeders.

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

This website shows where and when the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds have been spotted migrating north so you know when to put your feeder out.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

17. trev333

a young Butcher bird...I've got a family group of these guys that have been here for years....they sing up a storm...

the Magpies have had young this year, I've seen and heard their feed me calls. There's always a few Kookaburras around as well... A pair of Crows have been around this year and some Currawongs...

Some will take food out of your hand in a snatch, grab, escape fashion.... though, I mostly throw small balls of mince into the air to watch the aerobatics....

baby butch.jpg

baby butch close up.jpg

butch mum amd kid.jpg

stevemc, Stringbanger and Stubee like this.
  18. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Those birds are incredible, what are they?

trev333 likes this.
  19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm an unofficial amatuer bird watcher. I am terrible about identifying what I see though. When I try to look them up in a book it always looks like it might be this, or it might be that. My mother in law has some birding skill, so she clues me in if I have a question when she's around.

We live near the river where bald eagles nest, so I occasionally see them over the house. Probably my favorite are the chimney swifts. They buzz around like little jet fighters and eat bugs out of the air all day long. They live in an old abandoned school building across the street. Unfortunately, they are turning that building into condos, so I'm worried that will displace the chimney swifts. They just flew south a few weeks ago. I hope to see them next year.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  20. trev333

the green ones are Lorikeets, small parrots... nectar and seed eaters mainly...

they hang out in big groups usually... though adults pair up for life...sometimes I might have 30 of them here squabbling over the food and taking turns in the water baths.....

there's a main pair who hang out here the most and shelter under the veranda when it rains....

wp2.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.