Birchwood cabinet for Silverface Champ or not?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stefanhotrod, Feb 21, 2020.

1. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

I‘m deep in love with my SF Champ. It‘s the quietest amp I‘ve ever owned and it sounds paramount, especially with my NOS RCA Blackplates and the incredible powerful and vintage sounding Warehouse G8C!

5DBC10F8-BD70-46C9-AEFA-311B57AE1203.jpeg

I‘m still unsure if I should buy this wee little beast a solid Mojotone Birchwood Cab. The cab/tolex is in a perfect clean state but I wonder if a wooden cab with a floating baffle may add a bit more tonal improvement? Thanks for your input!

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It is what it is because of what it is. If you change cabinets the difference will probably be barely noticeable and may be better or worse.

I'd save the money myself.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    stefanhotrod likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Might make it a tad brighter or resonant, if anything. No way to say if it will be better. If you love it the way it is, I doubt it’s gonna sound ~$250 better.

I sometime toy with the idea of a bigger cab, head cab, mods for my SF Champ. Then I plug into it and am quickly reminded why I haven’t done it. They are just right the way they are.

rjtwangs and stefanhotrod like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

If you love it, leave it alone. No need to try to improve it, especially given that it's in such good cosmetic condition. Just enjoy!

brbadg and stefanhotrod like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy a bee box cab and try it in that, if you don't like it then your only out about $30 bucks and you can repurpose the cab.. They are solid pine but I think some are made of ply.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't mess with it ... might affect the mojo...

stefanhotrod and Whatizitman like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It's always reversible. Go for it. Experiment. I'd order several different speakers to test too.

Or, add an external cabinet jack if it doesn't have one, and build a couple of external cabinets to run. That might be the best way.

Speakers need a specific sized cabinet to sound best -- the amount of air 'spring' behind it for it's most efficient movement. You can find cabinet interior volume calculators on a few home stereo builder sites.

carpenter and stefanhotrod like this.
  8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Your amp already has a great cab. If you want a change, maybe a closed back cab would provide it. The change you are proposing just won't be dramatic-in my opinion. I replaced the cab on my Super Champ x 2 because I wanted to put a 12 inch speaker in it and the original cab was truly a piece of crap. That made a difference. Maybe a cab that would support a 12 inch speaker would be interesting for your Champ...

stefanhotrod likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Right. There's a reason these are highly sought after. Yes they are easy to mod for bigger speakers and cabs. But there's something about the original mix that works and makes it what it is. A Champ through a bigger speaker and/or cab is no longer a Champ, IMO. It's a larger amp with a Champ circuit. Well, anyone can build a BF/SF Champ circuit for not much more than a stock SF Champ. BUT an original SF Champ is a 40-50 year old amp that in its stock form is better than it should be allowed to be, given its original intent as a small student amp. Any SF Champ that has survived the last 40 years will likely last that much more. Can't say that about ANY practice amp made since.

I even built a 1x12 cab with the intent to use with my Champ. Black tolex and fender-ish grill cloth. Came out... ok. I've only used it with my DSL20CR, though. Modding my Champ to work with it would be a snap. But like I said, it just does what it does so well, so I haven't done it. Well, that and a 4ohm speakers in 12 inch are few, and not very cheap. I just have no need to do so. I have bigger amps now. The Champ is what I play when I want a big enough sound from a small low watt amp. The low end can get flubby. But that's also what helps make the Champ sound so "big" on its own.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

"If you love it... let it go!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would. Mess with it, that is.

But, but, but... I wouldn't put it in a boat anchor birch cabinet.

I have old Peavey amps in MDF cabinets. I don't like 5 watt amps that feel like 50 watts when I'm carrying them.

If I put it in a different cabinet I'd cut it for a 10" speaker. A ten will fit in a stock sized Champ cabinet. Good luck finding stock sized cabinet cut for a ten. It fits but just barely. Most cabinet builders don't want to take a chance so they build these big tall things.

A 2x3" aspect ratio, long side horizontal feels exactly right to me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    LuthRavin and stefanhotrod like this.
  11. Whatizitman

But if you must..... If you really want to make it sound different (and you're gonna pay to do so), try out Mojotone's version of the MMB cab, made for 12 inch speaker. Or find an actual MMB and switch it out. Gonna need a 4ohm speaker to go with it. Or change the Champ OT that has an 8ohm tap.

It turns out now I have a Champ and a Musicmaster Bass amp (one with pine cab and removable baffle!). I have not switched the cabinets out for the reasons listed above. They just do what they are meant to do, well. I would change them to experiment, but I'm not buying a 4ohm 12 inch speaker just to experiment.

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x...e-Guitar-Amplifier-1X12-Combo-Speaker-Cabinet

stefanhotrod likes this.
  12. muchxs

Got a back burner project I call Escher. The idea is to mess with the laws of physics and use big speakers with little amps while keeping the overall package improbably compact.

The Impedance Police might whack you across the knuckles with a ruler if you run 4 into 8. Try it some time for overdrive. It sometimes results in that "Where have you been all my life?" tone with feedback, note bloom and bristling harmonics.

It's not the whole trick. It's one ingredient.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  13. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks for your input Gentlemen.
    I guess most of you are right- leave it original can‘t be wrong since this Champ is in an unusually good shape. The speaker swap opened the amp really up and swapping for NOS tubes is the cherry on the cake. It simply sounds fantastic and yup, I don‘t want to loose that special charme of a Champ. Sometimes I‘m too crazy about modding stuff, good to meet you guys here guiding me to better decisions :)

14. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

If the amp sounds "paramount", why bother? If I want to move a bit more air with my 69 VibroChamp, I keep a handy dandy RCA--> 1/4" female adapter in the cabinet, pull a speaker cable out of my gear bag, and plug into any number of cabinets even larger combos I have lying around. Cost = $3.

That said:

So maybe about 8/9 years ago (maybe more i can't recall), Muchxs built me a custom baffle for my '69 VibroChamp to fit a 10" speaker. I was then able to talk Weber into making me a 4ohm 10" Sig model speaker and it fits into my VC great! I just stored away the old stock baffle and stock speaker (which was blown anyway). My main recording amp and Much love to Muchxs!!

In your case, that Champ looks to be a mid/late 70's, so unfortunately no removable baffle option. So if you want to build a cab, rock on! I'd have Muchxs do it for you though....the guy is a genius.

muchxs likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You are fine as is, waste of money. Even particle board cabs sound very good.

However, If you are going to do it, get a real pine cab, and a deeper cab for a Champ could give you some better low end.

But frankly, before I sold my most recent Champ, I played with multiple cabs I have around, even a big EV15B doesn't make a Champ a whole lot better than a good 8" speaker.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  16. muchxs

Some of my teachers told me I was a smart kid back when I was a smart kid.

Come to understand I'm not so much the curator of a wise brain, more like a wise ass.

:D :D :D

stefanhotrod likes this.
  17. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I have one that looks similarly clean. You already love the amp. I'd leave it alone. If you want a different amp...add one to your arsenal. Add a cab extension for it perhaps. Change the speaker/tubes perhaps. But I'd leave the Champ alone. They are great as they are.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Just get a speaker cable with an RCA jack on one end and try it with a few cabs. A phone jack can be fitted to the amp during service if that hasn't been done yet. If so I'd get that done ASAP.
    @muchxs I used to have a VC chassis on my bench for a tube tester. One day I had it plugged into an 8ohm load and saw "lighting flashes" in the 6v6. Weird because I didn't hear anything but plugging back into 4 ohms stopped it. I just assumed that was fly back voltage and never mismatched it again.

Also clean Champs aren't rare they just got stuffed in to nicer closets than the beat ones. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.