1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Binding

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bubba105, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

I'm about to try binding a body for the first time. Can anyone tell me what height and thickness to use for a tele or what you use (a photo will help)? I just want one color in a single thickness to keep what little sanity I still possess. I tried searching but I guess I wasn't using the right wording.

Thanks

Richie

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I would suggest a .060 for you first attempt.http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Plastic_binding/Black_Plastic_Binding.html ( also comes in white ) If you have a dremel with a router base these bits are great http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_for_Binding/Piloted_Router_Bit_for_Binding.html ( 1/8 shank) The other option is to buy this set it is the best router bit setup for binding. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Routing/Binding_Router_Bit_and_Bearings.html

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The stewmac router bit makes installing binding so simple, it would be hard for me to recommend anything else.

I routinely use .060 and .090 binding.

4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

+1

5. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Simple is relative, but I agree with Colt. If you plan on building more guitars and using binding, then the SM bit and a set of bearings is a very good investment in saving time and getting quality channels that don't need a lot of fixing and filling later.

6. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I'm a bit of a tool freak so I bought the big binding router bit set from Stew Mac a while back, just so I would have it. Didn't buy any binding at that time since I didn't know what size I should use. The thing I need to know now is how tall, I'm thinking .250 or .375. Not sure it will make much difference but I'd rather ask those in the know before I make something that doesn't look right - firewood. I made a body with a veneer top & bottom that came out rather well last fall before it got cold so now comes binding time. I'll post my method when I make more bodies. I have a bunch of nice veneers I'm going to be using.

Thanks for the help,

Richie

7. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

.250" is the ticket...

Mark

8. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Thank you Mark & everyone else for your help. I was just about to pull the trigger on
    3/8 stuff. Now to order it up. The hard part will be sitting on my hands waiting for my order before I cut the body. There is of course that clean up of the shop I've been putting off since last year. Looks like a grenade went off in there.

9. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

If you're going to double bind (Top and Bottom), then if agree on the .250". Some folks like it a little thicker if it's only the top, which is where the .375" can be nice. Also, if your cap is near or more than .25" thick, you just want to make sure it'll cover the glue joint. Good luck!

10. starchief_59

starchief_59 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info

11. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.