1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Binding

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SonicMustang, Apr 12, 2021.

1. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Hello everyone,

My buddy and I have been working on building guitar bodies from scratch. We have two under our belt that I feel have gone very well. With the next couple we are going to attempt new things, one of which is binding.

This morning he sent me a link to a guide tool for using a Dremel to cut the binding channel. We have a Dremel tool and a router.

Do you think this tool would be a beneficial investment? I've never seen it used and in all of the videos I've seen everyone just uses a router.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. SonicMustang

dremel tool.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd get a router and binding bit. I bought a binding adapter for my dremel and thought it was the worst thing I ever spent money on.

Binding a flat body isn't too bad. You can use a router table. For a carved top, you want to build a binding jig for the best results. You can get a rabbeting bit set. An instrument building set has more bearings that are closer in size to binding.

I have used both of these sets, although the one from s-m was once sold with fewer bearings back in the day.

Freud Flush, 1/8", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2" Depth Rabbeting Bit Set with interchangeable bearings with 1/4" Shank (32-504) - - Amazon.com

Binding Router Bit Set | stewmac.com

I think somebody here has used this one, but I have not.

Amana Tool 49342 Carbide Tipped Binding/Rabbeting 15mm D x 11.5mm CH x 1/4 SHK Router Bit Set (toolstoday.com)

jig.png

rabbet1.jpg

Now going cheap and old school.....this type of thing was common 40 years ago in books and in instrument shops. It does a better job than a dremel, which is a useless tool in my book, unless you are doing inlay or cutting a nail head off.

router jig for binding.png

Andy's Homemade Guitars (zen.co.uk)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Mojotron and crazydave911 like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

That Dremel is primarily an acoustic tool and few I know have them grab them first thing. They only seem to be used in small spots. I don't do binding like I once did but have never owned one though I have two Dremels ;)

SonicMustang likes this.
  5. SonicMustang

We'll just stick with our router then! Thanks!

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I think that's a better way to go for sure.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I bought one of those when I did my F style mandolin, it was the only way to get around all the little scrolls

DSCN1505.JPG

For routing channels on flat topped instruments just use a set of stepped bits in an ordinary laminate trimmer. I have taped some little wedges on the bottom because the top and back have a very slight angle on this guitar

IMG_1108.JPG

or a router table with stepped bits

IMG_5951.JPG

For tops that slope to the edge you will need a floating router that indexes from the top and side

IMG_4977.JPG

You might find this helpful

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/binding-101.1002709/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

don't know about that one but I have the StewMac Moto router base. it works fine. you want the baddazz bit that goes with it though. you may not want to take it all in one cut if it's more than 1/8 by 1/4.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.