1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Binding on a Budget

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Chewy, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Hi folks, I've got a barnbuster bod on the way, $25 ebay special from recycled pine.

I really really really want to add binding to this guitar (never done so before) and I really really really want to not spend too many of the precious dollars I have saved to put my kids through nursery school.

I've got a dremel, I've got a drill press. I see that stewmac sells a router-ish base for the dremel, but for the cost (~$50) I could probably get a used router off ebay anyway. If I were to go down that road, how much power do I need? 1 hp? 1.5? .5?

Conversely, can I just buy a piloted router bit (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...Bits/Bits/Piloted_Router_Bit_for_Binding.html) and throw it on my drill press?

As always, thanks for your help, TDPRI & Friends!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna give one of these a try, thanks for the link! .5 hp decent enough? With a sharp bit and routing in the right direction I would think it's be fine.

4. guitarbuilder

It's what I have on my binding jig.

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

If you want to do it on a budget, you can buy any old flush trim bit and a bearing such that the resulting channel is the right depth. I use a 1/2" bit with a 3/8" bearing for a nominal channel width of 1/16". I put .06 binding in it. Much cheaper than the gazillion dollars stewmac wants for their bit, albeit their bit has a slight shear cut to it so it keeps things nice and clean (though mine kept everything nice and clean too...).

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Just purchased one of those HF trim routers a couple days ago. Still in the bag. Didn't even think about routing for binding!

Thanks for the heads up!

7. guitarbuilder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Do a google image search for Dremel binding jig. Many people have made their own. How well they work is, of course, another story. :neutral:

9. roffe

roffe Tele-Meister

That's exactly what I did and it worked great, no fuzz or tearout.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.