1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Binding glue

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Sep 28, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

What glue do you guys use to attach plastic binding? I was looking at FGW from LMI, but thought that I remembered people just using CA.

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

3. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

I use WeldOn #16 Cement. It's pricey from SM (1.5oz for $7) but you can get it in larger tubes at a lower per oz cost. It will also bond clear acrylics so it's handy to have for jig building. And, it won't bond your skin like CA can.

WeldOn #16 5oz

WeldOn #16 1.5oz

4. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

5. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I tried the Weld-On #16 on two builds; I'm sure it's because I'm a spazz, but the results were not to my liking. If I ever do plastic bindings again, I'll go with CA. YMMV; clearly others' have.

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

So... You built a concrete guitar and left us to chat amongst ourselves, now all the sudden you are back in town :mad:. J/k glad to see you back, now get some glue (Weldon #16 has worked well for me) and put the binding on and show us what you did :D. Wait... are you binding the concrete caster?

[​IMG]

7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Hijacked - I am feeling pretty good - surgeon gave me the "Free to roam about the Cabin" speech last Tuesday AM (did not tell him I've already ridden a couple of road rides on the bicycle, and a couple of easy trail rides, and turned a few large pear wood bowls). That wouldn't be prudent. I am also demonstrating for 7 hours at the local Tn Arts & Crafts Fall Show at Centennial Park in Nashville on Sunday. So stop by and see a novice turner make sawdust. BTW: Your strats are to die for. I sure hope all is well at your end of the pike.

PS: Also found out from the SS Forum, that the adapter for the Nova G3 4-jaw chuck is not the correct one for SS - and TeknaTool has offered to replace it once I send mine in to them - free of charge - and I bought it 2 years ago - from a different seller on eBay. That's service. And maybe after that turning won't involve subsequent wobbliness.

8. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: I know, I know. I did just kinda drop off the face of the earth there for a while.

No, I'm not binding the Industri-caster. This is for the alder/walnut set neck that I'm working on. The thread is here

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use gel CA glue. Loctite brand works, but the bottles are small. Maxicure works great

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

If you are using a binding that reacts to Acetone…. You do not need glue…. just tape the binding into place, take an artist's brush, dip it into the Acetone, and let it wick into the joint… there's a couple of youtubes about it….

Oh… If you have the acetone in an open jar… don't stick your lit cigar in there…. the flight over the neighbor's house is fun, but the landing can be problematical… :eek::eek::eek:

r

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LOL,:D:D

Yeah, Roger, what he said!:!::!::mad:

13. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Acetone for celluloid binding, duco cement otherwise.

14. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

+1

For ABS, I think acetone is a no brainer. Glue and filler in one. Used it on both my binding jobs and would not consider anything else.

15. henderson is go

henderson is go Tele-Holic

Duco cenment, works great, cheap, and locally available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.