1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Binding and glueing fretboard to neck blank.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gitlvr, Dec 14, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi guys. A question for you, if I may?
    I plan to bind my next fretboard. I will use acetone to glue the plastic binding to the fretboard before gluing it to the neck blank.
    My question is that I use titebond to glue my fretboards to the neck blank, and I'm wondering how well the edges of the fretboard will glue down, since they will be abs binding, and not wood.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've done this lots with no issues.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Nick!

4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The titebond won't "glue" the bottom of the binding, but it will gap-fill the joint there ... and the binding is solidly glued to the side of the fretboard, and to top it all off, it's not a stressed joint at all.

The most important thing to do is ensure the bottom of the bound fretboard is perfectly flat. And be wary of rounding the bottom of the binding when scraping - which leads to a gap at the glue line. I use a 6" wide scraper to clean up the bottom of the fretboard - it keeps the binding glue-line sharp.

Also, while there are a zillion arguments out there about gluing oily rosewoods, most of the gurus say to scrape, then quickly glue rather than to use any solvents (assuming you are using RW here).

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Nick. I'll make sure to keep an eye on all those things. Much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.