Binding a Body with Existing Roundover

debrad

TDPRI Member
Wondering if I can easily add binding to a body that already has a typical roundover?

By my measurements, I'd need binding AT LEAST 0.25"X0.25" and most of what I've seen is much smaller.

Is there something I can buy that will be big enough? Will I have to laminate layers to reach those dimensions? Should I use something like epoxy to square up the edges and THEN route a channel?

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
You would have a hard time bending quarter inch thick binding material around the horn - whether it's wood or plastic. However lots of bindings have multiple layers of purfling lines, pearl, herringbone or other marquetry and are close to 1/4 in width.

You could also simple route your body 60 or 80 thousands smaller and bind with normal 0.060 material.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You could rout a wide and deep channel and use a combination of these 1/4" deep laminates together.

Gibson did a laminated binding on the LP customs.

I would use a router table and a bit like this if it is a slab body.

bit.png

Last edited:

debrad

TDPRI Member
Buy a body. Save the heartache
I couldn't state it better....

This is what I figured...but I have to admit that the challenge was part of the appeal. I suspect I'll take the easier "route" this time but I wanted to get feedback from those MUCH wiser and more experienced than myself before making any final decisions.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
My humble opinion, Debrad. I like binding a lot and bind almost everything I make. Except Fender style guitars (with one exception). In most cases teles and strats just don't look right when bound, the exception being the few cases when really beautiful wood was used for the guitar and binding helps to set it off. I don't like any of the heavily purfled or marquetry on a F style guitar, save the herringbone for a flat top.

I said there was an exception and that is my personal tele clone which has a highly flamed top and it just seemed right to set it off with rosewood binding that matches the fretboard and other trim pieces

IMG_5277.JPG

If you do decide to bind something you might find this helpful

debrad

TDPRI Member
Thanks @Freeman Keller. I was originally planning to buy a body blank, cut a slab shape with no contours or roundover, rout for binding, cover with paisley fabric and apply binding to separate the top and bottom from the sides.

Instead, I found a great deal on a kit (not something I'd normally do with a guitar but this is a Jazz bass...and I'm not a bass player!) so I was hoping there might be a relatively painless way to follow my original plan despite the kit already having a roundover.

Based on everyone's response, it sounds like it's probably not worth the challenge so I suspect I'll go with "Plan B" which is simply painting a burst on the top and bottom with the same colour as the sides.