Billy Strings - Dust in a Baggie

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by cometazzi, May 15, 2021.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I really want to love the recent (as in 10 years or more) resurgence of American folk and Americana music. I really do. This is a great performance and everyone here is on point, no doubt. Amazing talent. Incredible musicianship.

I just can't get into it. I have nothing but huge respect for folks like these who really pound it but I just can't get into it. Even if I like music very similar. Why is that?

2. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

"Dust in a baggie ... all we are is dust in a baggie..."

eclecticsynergy and cometazzi like this.
  3. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Hmm, not sure. It is a fine performance. After seeing Billy Strings play at Bill Kreutzman's 75th Birthday jam, I came to like him playing a Les Paul. Not sure why you don't care for it. I thought it was quite good. I guess not everyone can be old school, or even just somewhat older school. Leftover Salmon gave bluegrass music a great big shot of steroids in the early - mid nineties. Then came String Cheese Incident and Yonder Mountain String Band etc. A lot of really great pickers.

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

With Green Shirt Guy this is a totally different song. I'm sure you will agree. Green Shirt Guy makes it epic. This is for all of you out there who hear something so good that lighting your ciggie becomes anticlimactic.

Gleesonjf and telekaster1999 like this.
  5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Ooof, that's a timeless question you just asked. Taste is a mother****er. I just has this convo last night with some great fellas about why a few of us didn't dig.......Weather Report (specifically the Jaco era)

Can't really explain it, you just feel or don't feel it while acknowledging the guys are indeed playing their asses off.

I remember when the Cream reunion thing happened, I couldn't sit through it more than 5 minutes and I had all their live bootlegs from the late 60's. I mean, it was exactly the same while dramatically different at the same time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.