Billy Gibbons - Pics of his Esquires

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
Obviously no longer any interest here in Billy Gibbons
and his guitars.
Guess I can stop collecting and posting that stuff.
No way!
I for one, like to come around here and I'm pretty sure others do too.
keep it going :);)

Dunlop RWN0738 Super Fine.jpg

perttime

Friend of Leo's
Sure there's interest. Sometimes people just can't think of anything to say about the guitars.

Some of BFG:s recent tele-shaped guitars would serve as great inspiration for a strat shaped one. (I happen to prefer the balance of a strat shaped guitar)

ab2012

Tele-Holic
I just saw a recent video of him playing a black Esquire style guitar....not exactly an Esquire shape. The top of the guitar is much more rounded.

ab2012

Tele-Holic
Also,a recent video has him playing another Esquire style guitar. Obviously another Bolin. A lot of color in it and the body looks thicker when you see it from the side.

rickmccl

TDPRI Member
I just saw ZZ this past week, some of the splatter paint on those guitars is UV reactive so they glowed in spots when the lights went down. I wonder if its a wrap like the 'peeler' guitars from the 2015 'rig rundown' video, or actual paint. I'm sure I've seen a feature on those guitars this year but I'm still looking to find it again.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Theres more smoke & mirrors than you'd care to know.

Pay attention at 1:08. Initially he mimes the rake/slide then doesnt even bother.
He still gets a pass. ;)

Anybody notice that Billy's tech from the rig rundown, Elwood Francis is the same Elwood Francis in this video? Same cat, differen't hair!

SneakyPete

TDPRI Member
I posted back on page 8 of Biily G. with a pic of him from my '69 Jr./Sr. prom in College Station, Tx ('bout 75 miles NW of Houston) playing his Flying V with his band Moving Sidewalks (for whatever reason that pic went away so here it is again). Along with it is another pic (courtesy of a Facebook post from someone) that was probably taken in late '69 (or shortly thereafter) after Moving Sidewalks dissolved and new members Dusty and Frank were added (Billy dropped the kb player from MS) and thus became ZZ Top. The rest is history. (R.I.P. Dusty Hill :cry: ) I was fortunate to see a lot of the early ZZ live back in my late teens since they were based just down the road. Ahhhhh...those were the days!!!

Attachments

• Billy G_'69.jpg
    Billy G_'69.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 82
  • zz Top crca 1970.jpg
    zz Top crca 1970.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 84

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm glad the old thread got resurrected. Sorry I can't see all the early pictures.
Also sorry to see that the OP got offended and checked out at least three times.

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting how some of ZZs biggest tunes were recorded using a Tele or Strat...as The Reverend is most famous for playing Pearly...Huge fan of their early stuff.

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire
I posted back on page 8 of Biily G. with a pic of him from my '69 Jr./Sr. prom in College Station, Tx ('bout 75 miles NW of Houston) playing his Flying V with his band Moving Sidewalks (for whatever reason that pic went away so here it is again). Along with it is another pic (courtesy of a Facebook post from someone) that was probably taken in late '69 (or shortly thereafter) after Moving Sidewalks dissolved and new members Dusty and Frank were added (Billy dropped the kb player from MS) and thus became ZZ Top. The rest is history. (R.I.P. Dusty Hill :cry: ) I was fortunate to see a lot of the early ZZ live back in my late teens since they were based just down the road. Ahhhhh...those were the days!!!

A Flying V & a 59 LP??? Pretty good gear for a bar band... 😉

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting how some of ZZs biggest tunes were recorded using a Tele or Strat...as The Reverend is most famous for playing Pearly...Huge fan of their early stuff.
All the really big ones were a Dean into a Legend combo.

From Terry Manning, who made the record with Billy:
The amp used, almost exclusively, on Eliminator was a Legend. This was about a 50 watt hybrid unit, employing a tube/valve preamp, and a transistor power amp. This is the amp which has a finished wood case, and a rattan-type cane grill. It has one 12" Celestion speaker. Legend were later bought by, or at least distributed by, Gibson, but they were independent when we started using them. I still have this amp; it is almost new. A couple of years ago I plugged one of the Eliminator guitars into it, just to see...there was the sound!

The guitars were custom built by Dean. Dean were out of Chicago, and were trying to break into the high end (a la Jackson, PRS) market. They were very nice, albeit different, instruments. Subsequently however, they got a contract with Sears to make guitars, so they opted for the big bucks, Korean manufactured, low end market instead. But the ones we used were very nicely made. There were two which we employed. One was somewhat like a cross between a Flying-V and a Moderne shape, very long "ears," and the other was a sort of a warped, pointy Stratocaster-y shape. Both guitars had a single DiMarzio Super Distortion high output pickup, and almost no controls.

It's an interesting story - Dusty and Frank aren't on that record.

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
All the really big ones were a Dean into a Legend combo.

From Terry Manning, who made the record with Billy:
The amp used, almost exclusively, on Eliminator was a Legend. This was about a 50 watt hybrid unit, employing a tube/valve preamp, and a transistor power amp. This is the amp which has a finished wood case, and a rattan-type cane grill. It has one 12" Celestion speaker. Legend were later bought by, or at least distributed by, Gibson, but they were independent when we started using them. I still have this amp; it is almost new. A couple of years ago I plugged one of the Eliminator guitars into it, just to see...there was the sound!

The guitars were custom built by Dean. Dean were out of Chicago, and were trying to break into the high end (a la Jackson, PRS) market. They were very nice, albeit different, instruments. Subsequently however, they got a contract with Sears to make guitars, so they opted for the big bucks, Korean manufactured, low end market instead. But the ones we used were very nicely made. There were two which we employed. One was somewhat like a cross between a Flying-V and a Moderne shape, very long "ears," and the other was a sort of a warped, pointy Stratocaster-y shape. Both guitars had a single DiMarzio Super Distortion high output pickup, and almost no controls.

It's an interesting story - Dusty and Frank aren't on that record.

I was thinking more of the Tres Hombres, Fandango, Deguello, Rio Grande Mud etc....the 70s stuff....played on his 55 hardtail Strat.