1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Billy Gibbons 7 gauge strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Oct 17, 2020.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

omg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Locking tuners don't help with tuning.
    Only a nicely cut NUT does.
    A properly strung guitar with a good nut will stay in tune just fine no matter what the gauge of string is.

gregulator450 and beagle like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

To me, in that demo, the 7s sounded plinky and plasticky by the time he got around to the comparison of 10s and 13s (although those super bends were pretty cool) I use 10s, i do think 13s sound better but to my ear, 10s get you most of the way there, and I've had hand issues (neuropathy) that tend to make me a klutz on anything bigger

FWIW I think EVH used 9s

4. Nick Fanis

You will NEVER go back if you try this set , there's a reason why EVERYONE in the late 60s and throughout the 70s used this set and it was the "standard' set.

I have been using them since 2018 and ALL my friends who tried them IMMEDIATELY started using them exclusively.ALL of them.

They should be MANDATORY for Strats and Teles.

If you play a standard 10-46 set after a 10-38 your ears BLEED because they sound so unbalanced.

EllroyJames, codamedia and blowtorch like this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Great thread!
    Back in the 80's we had a producer who told us to play 10's and drop out pitch 1/2 tone. We played 9's.

I didn't like the 10's so I switched back to 9's and with the pitch drop, the recording sounded terrific. I am one of the naysayers who always thought lighter strings sounded better. The sound samples in this thread are quite convincing.

6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

@Nick Fanis .... thanks for your review of the 10-38's...
    You might have talked me into actually trying them... if I can find them locally.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Nick Fanis and blowtorch like this.
  7. blowtorch

I heartily agree with this. I end up with a 10-46 often just because those sets are more easily and commonly sourced in my brand of choice, D'adds. However 10-38 is a huge improvement

Nick Fanis and codamedia like this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

One of the reasons I’m considering these is because I play more through studio monitors than guitar speakers these days, even while playing tube amps, and I’m always fighting low end. I’ve noticed just switching from 11s to 10s has had a great effect. I think 10-38s would help with this.

Nick Fanis and blowtorch like this.
  9. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Good luck keeping them in tune. I tried some of those Fender Hendrix strings. Imo, they were garbage. If they work for others, great.

10. blowtorch

One of my reasons for preferring a 10-38 set is I can be more agile when doing quicker runs on the low strings- I can skip around down there much easier. But I do prefer the tone, generally, as well, as long as what I'm playing is not something that calls for a deep bass strings sound, the way say, some classic R&B material calls for

Nick Fanis likes this.
  11. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

usedta only play 11-50. after i got finger-tipped, stringjoy sent me a set of 8s to try as what was left healed: wouldn't go back, bought several sets afterwards to keep stocked up. i only play fingerstyle--rhythm-heavy, way more chord than melody. seems to me that lighter strings would facilitate pedal-steel type bends, as in, i can get from, say, a to c 10th fret b-string. lower tension means lighter touch, which does take some adapting.

but whatever works for you works for you . ..

guitfiddles and brookdalebill like this.
  12. blowtorch

I've not been a fan of Fender brand strings in general

13. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

10-38s are awesome. Maybe not for everyone, but I find out they balance out so well. This was after years of playing around with string guages including many custom sets.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

D'Addario 011's for the simple reason that they feel right to me, I'm so accustomed to how they feel that I wouldn't go anywhere near anything else.

8barlouie and brookdalebill like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m glad you found a good solution!
    I play (or played-pandemic) with an almost crazy number of different acts.
    I play guitar and bass, and though I play more country than anything else, I also play “lounge” (light jazz) and some classic rock.
    My guitars are easy to play, IMO.
    They are set up sorta like an acoustic with light (12-54) strings.
    There’s tension, but I can easily bend a full step on the B & G strings.
    I am seeking sustain and a ringing quality.
    I get it with the heavier strings.
    I’m not heavy handed, and my OCD demands I play, and bend in tune.
    My strings give me that.
    Though I’m no kid, my paws are still strong, and capable, at least for playing guitar.
    If I develop hassles, I may have to go lighter, too.

hepular likes this.
  16. Nick Fanis

The only "readily" available set is the GHS Boomers one but these are my favourite strings anyhow (roundcore for the win!)...

it's a shame that very few manufacturers still produce this awesome set...

I think that only Fender,Kurt Mangan,Ghs ,SIT and Pyramid make them these days.

17. Nick Fanis

Yes these aren't the best ones (the hexcore ones,the roundcore are decent) but GHS and Pyramid are awesome.

Bryan A likes this.
  18. Nick Fanis

For me it was a revelation.
    Best tone improvement in my 40 years of guitar playing and the FEELING is amazing.

Only problem is that after you get used to them any guitar that is strung with other "usual'' sets sounds mediocre and unbalanced.... especially if you RECORD..

I produce and record a lot and after switching to 010-038 I have virtually stopped using EQ.
    Just a bit if compression and the guitar sits in the mix perfectly, like never before..

19. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I currently have a custom set of 7 gauge strings on my tele. I was using the Billy Gibbons set but I ordered a balanced set from stringjoy (7, 9.5, 12, 18, 26, 36). I’ve had 2 major neck surgeries and have nerve damage and this set makes guitar fun for me instead of a struggle. Guys, I can’t believe how amazing these sound! If I were to record something on here and share it you would NEVER know you were listening to a set of 7 gauge strings. I also have locking tuners and a Bigsby. I had to change the stock bigsby spring with a Reverend Guitars soft touch spring to make the Bigsby work. Anyhow, I wanted to let y’all know since this is a thread about 7 gauge strings.

hepular likes this.
  20. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Right. When I first put on the
    7 gauge set I didn’t like it. It took several days for my hands to adjust. I was getting unwanted slap sounds from popping the strings on the frets, bending them all out of tune, terrible sounding chords, etc., but now I am used to them and everything sounds fine.

hepular likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.