Billy Corgan on the new EHX Op-Amp Muff.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mnutz, Dec 14, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like Pumpkins to me!

2. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Definitely a Smashing Pumpkins fan, and I’ve tried a few Muff-style pedals because of them, but I think I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that I can’t make that tone work for me unless I’m playing one of their songs. I think I just palm mute too much for a fuzz to work for me. The whole sound kind of falls apart when you do that.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I've found this circuit works a lot better with a few small tweaks. Which turns it more into an overdrive/Fuzz depending where the gain is set. My tweeks cut some bass before the clipping section and it makes the lows hold together much better. Before I did that tweek, the bass had a very 'gated' sort of effect, which some fuzzes do well, but I thought in this instance, it only hurt tone and playability. My other mods include some diode changes and a slight tweak to the tonestack for less mid 'scoop.'

mnutz likes this.
  4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

That sounds more like something I could get on board with. The closest to a fuzz sound I’ve been satisfied with is a Rat with the gain knob pushed up into fuzz territory. It’s still pretty flabby in the low end at that point, but a Tube Screamer in front of it takes care of that. It’s also more mid-heavy than a Big Muff, so it’s probably more in line with the mods you made.

mnutz likes this.
  5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

When I was playing a lot of Pumpkins stuff I used a NYC reissue Big Muff that I pushed with a Rat 2. I could get a pretty close sound with an MIM strat and Lace Sensors.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the pedal.
    And I want that Reverend Guitar.

mnutz and Felino like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Looking at that picture makes me wonder...

When did Billy Corgan become Red Forman?

jddub440, Fearnot and Staypuft1652 like this.
  8. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

We know where his foot is going.

9. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I'll take that guitar LOVE Fuzz ... meh

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Well, even Billy seems to have found that while they got that tone to work in the studio when recording S.D., it doesn't seem to work so well live. I think palm muting with a fuzz can work, but if you're not recording with it, you need more mids than what most Muffs will give you in stock form. Unless you like stacking two or more pedals, that means that the Muff circuit, op amp or otherwise, can definitely benefit from tweaks to the tone circuit, and possibly from tweaks to the frequency spectrum that gets clipped. In the end, you have two Muffs with different applications, but the one used for gigs will sound "all else equal," because it won't get buried in the mix onstage, nor will it end up competing with all the cymbals (which is also a great way to liquefy the eardrums of the audience, so you'd want to avoid that, too).

telemnemonics, mnutz and SweetClyde99 like this.
  11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I like Smashing Pumpkins but that pedal looks just soo00 cheap to me. Why didn't EHX paint it all over like the new Russian Muff NANO? :rolleyes:

12. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Having Billy ordain the pedal will not hurt with shifting product. Sounds pretty good in the video. It does seem to deliver an awesome Stoner/Sabbath type of tone.

dr_tom and mnutz like this.
  13. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Maybe it's the pumpkins loving kid in me, but I'm interested. I'd like to hear it AB'd with a regular big box big muff pi, which I already own and like pretty well.

valvestate, Staypuft1652 and mnutz like this.
  14. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

So... if im thinking right.
    Billy supports this pedal because: he and James had (unknowingly) got hold of muffs with op-amps, wich in conjunction with Marshall amps (set to clean channel, master volume cranked and pre amp gain as volume control) sounded like the way they think they wanted S.D to sound :D

Or.. Billy gets a few bucks and Thats that!

But anyhow, this ”Interview” is the first in many years were Billy actually says some really good and sensible things about smashing pumpkins and siamese dream :D and yeah... im a big fan.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Having never listened more than casually to the pumpkins (via my daughter) does Billy C qualify as a tone god?

mnutz and telemnemonics like this.
  16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The sound they came up with on Siamese Dream (with a LOT of help from Butch Vig) was pretty distinctive and influential. That said, I've never considered Corgan to be half the genius he thinks he is.

Also, it's dizzying (and kind of intimidating) how many different 'Big Muff sounds' there are.

jddub440, dr_tom, mnutz and 3 others like this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The term “genius” is overused and I would never apply to Corgan.

dr_tom, Ex-riverman and telemnemonics like this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

Would you like Billy to get off your lawn?

19. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

It may not be the tone I’d pick for myself, but he made it work for him and sold over 20 million albums in the process. I’m not sure too many of us are in a position to tell him how he could have done it better.

Guit_fishN, valvestate, mnutz and 2 others like this.
  20. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Nope, not at all... he and James Iha had and have their thing going. James Iha is imo the ”talent” and still are, a very influentual muscian/writer/conposer to this day behind many descent things.

With that said, Siamese Dream had it all in a time when just that was needed, for a certain generation of course.

Early 90s.... new acts were sounding different. The second (sometimes first) album from anyone sounding different than glam rock or hard rock was going to be huge succes. The audience was starving. Nirvana, pearl jam, jeff buckley and list goes on. Siamese Dream had that impact on me, but i didnt bond with any of the albums after that.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.