1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Billy Bo Palletcaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RiversQC, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Dave - I had a near miss yesterday - I was turning a lid for a spalted Bradford Pear box, using the 5" diameter Grizzly 4-jaw chuck. Going high speed to get a good finish, and swept the speed control to zero too quickly. That chuck does not have grub screws, so it unscrewed from the lathe spindle, and luckily went flying off the backside at 2000 rpms. It hit my corrugated plastic back splash, and change direction right towards me. I dodge, and it hit floor and rolled into more stuff. So, Fastenal in Franklin has my order for the 6mm x 12mm setscrews, and a 6mm tap, to be picked up on Monday.

2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Rivers,

How wide is your neck at the nut? It looks as wide as a classical guitar neck on my laptop screen......

This is a VERY COOL project, Sir!!! I wish I had a third of your skills......

Engraver,

Your story reminds me of the time I was asked to enlarge the center hole on a very large sprocket, and told not to clamp hard with the chuck jaws, so the teeth wouldn't get bent. I attempted it on an old LeBlond engine lathe.

I made many, many light passes, each time I would dial the bar down as I retracted it, then dial back up for my next cut. That way, the tool pressure helped push the sprocket into the chuck jaws. On what was to be my last pass, I forgot to dial the boring bar down after the cut I'd just made, and pulled the boring bar out. The bar pulled the barely clamped sprocket out of the jaws! It shot up in the air about 10 feet high, arced, and landed right where my buddy Ed should have been standing while running his lathe. Fortunately for both of us, some really hot office girls were walking by outside, and Ed had gone over to a window to check them out. I really dodged a bullet there.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  3. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

You're too kind, thanks. I had to look up classical specs - it's been a while since I played one (poorly, ha). I'm well short of that! Width at the nut on my build is 43.5mm... I'm not great with fractions of inches but 1 23/32"? Pretty close to Gibson standard. I based my neck dimensions on my Epiphone LP, which I can compare in the flesh. It's a great guitar, I hope this one is in that ball park :)

Mr. Neutron and crazydave911 like this.
  4. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I didn't get to the neck carve today, but just as well. I finally got my binding glued. For the record, I used superglue instead of acetone this time. Worked well, maybe better.

20201212_220420.jpg

While the neck was still square, I got it fretted. I'm using some cheaper frets I got from aliexpress, Guitar Family. They do seem nice quality. I usually buy Jescar pre-cut, but these ones have the advantage of having the tangs inset -- perfect for my binding.

20201212_202119.jpg

Tapped and pressed them, seated nicely. Gave them a quick file and manual bevel. I keep meaning to make a block bevel thing but... next time!

20201212_220550.jpg

20201212_220620.jpg

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I have trouble with superglue that others apparently don't. I discovered this

received_2746720075587546.jpeg

From a hobby shop, says glues plastic to anything, and it does. Water cleanup too :)

6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Dave, that looks like a pretty long cure time, though.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

An hour too long for you? :lol:

8. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I finally got the neck carve done today and things are starting to come together.

This was pretty cool. It's been around freezing, rain, snow, freezing rain lately. When I got outside midday with the weather calm, some interesting ice had formed.

20201213_122020.jpg

20201213_121957.jpg

Just thought I'd share since that's uncommon! Got to work with rasps and files, didnt take too long.

20201213_164307.jpg

20201213_164322.jpg

I still have to do some finessing another day when I'm in less of a hurry, but I also used my new drill drum sander sleeves. Worked very well on the transitions, just need to keep it moving!

20201213_164345.jpg

Getting down to the finicky jobs before gluing. Like taking care of these gaps, which have tricky shapes.

20201213_123920.jpg

Dereksys38, E-miel, hemingway and 4 others like this.
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

o_O..ice made those designs on the wood?.... cool..:cool:

isn't nature wonderful...:D

RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  10. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

That's nature telling you to go for a paisley finish!

11. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Having done a bound fretboard, gotta do a bound headstock, right? The base of my plunge router is too big to get the whole surface, though, so I had to make a template and copy it over.

Also, I'm using a PRS headstock pattern to get the straight string pull through, though moving the bass side tuners up 10mm to fit the offset design.

20201220_145801.jpg

I made the truss access hole first while my maple was thick, then planed it down.

Of course, double stick tape ceases to work reliably somewhere below freezing. You can see the spot where my tool went from planer to launcher.

20201219_113549.jpg

Luckily I got the important part thinned.

20201219_114246.jpg

Now, screwed that down to some scrap wood (tape not being reliable and all) and routed it with a binding channel.

20201219_152916.jpg

Apply binding, get it set, all good, right?

20201219_161257.jpg

20201220_120332.jpg

20201220_130841.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  12. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

This is when disaster struck my build.

I was standing the neck, getting it finished...

20201220_123101.jpg

...and what's that spot? What if I press on it?

20201220_143220.jpg

:eek:

All that work. Total bummer.

I guess I will hope to salvage the fretboard... is that something where I apply heat and pry? (Titebond). Will try to rebuild after the holidays I guess. :cry:

photondev, crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  13. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

First off....Rivers would probably be done already if he hadn't stopped to take so many cool pics and up load them with great descriptive narratives. Thanks for sharing! …sorry about that …miscalculation. I'm sure you will kill the next piece.

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Put an inlay in it pick a shape and a contrasting material

15. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a real bummer. Be sure you do some forensics to insure you don't duplicate the issue on a replacement...it is a too deep truss rod pocket or was the contour too agressive up there at that end of the neck?

16. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Is an inlay an option in that location? Seems like it would be a structural issue at this point. I'd be glad to try it if it's an option...

I think the culprit is my old truss rod channel (since I was re-using this one). In post #6 I see that my old recess for the nut was about where this problem is... my channel would usually be shallower in that spot, but here it flared out. I wasn't measuring precisely but didnt think I was carving that thin? Never expected the problem. Sometimes that's where they get you! Argh.

More optimistically, I learned a lot in building this neck, and the body's still good. If I can pry the fretboard off I'm not out anything but the time.

17. crazydave911

Use a clothes iron on "cotton" (you'll need to fill with water many times) and pull the frets. Then cut a piece of aluminum foil double the size of your iron, fold it double then start at the heel end with a thin,sharp GOOD quality putty knife. I did this 5 string bass in an hour and a half :D

received_319351262530393.jpeg

Not easy but not hard either ;)

Dave

Swampash&Tweed and RiversQC like this.
  18. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, Dave. I imagine my fretboard binding will let go in all that. I'm going to ponder that one over some egg nog and such coming up... :)

Mr. Neutron and crazydave911 like this.
  19. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Holic

I got half a Billy Bo ... watching with interest!

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Talented and a positive attitude!
    I might have Pete Townsended it .

Mr. Neutron and betocool like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.