1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Billy Bo Palletcaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RiversQC, Nov 28, 2020.

1. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, all.

That is definitely my theme!

It's definitely a good way to go, and I think I'll stock up on a few more blanks just in case they stop stocking them. I popped on blank into the oven this summer for some roasted maple boards and that worked well too.

20201121_150442.jpg

It definitely feels like a "life hack"!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What grit paper are you using there?

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty coarse - maybe 100. Actually that is not a good shot of neck flossing, I prefer to use emory cloth because it doesn't tear or come apart while you pull it thru the seam. Here is a different guitar, same procedure.

It doesn't show in the picture but the reason the clamps are there is that I have a piece of wood lightly clamped across the neck tenon on the top side. It holds the end of the tenon in the pocket so I don't tilt it when I pull the emory cloth. It is light enough clamped that I can pull the neck out of the pocket to slide the emory cloth into the gap but on enough to change the neck angle.

Of course if I wanted to change the angle this would be when I would do it and that is the method used on acoustics to "set" or "reset" the neck.

IMG_6059.JPG

gregulator450 and crazydave911 like this.
  4. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Another new thing I'm trying is a bound fretboard. I thought about avoiding it but it probably wouldn't be right to build a double bound body without it!

First step (after carefully squaring my board up) was to cut fret slots. I just have a simple mitre box.

20201205_150401.jpg

20201205_172606.jpg

Having done all this work, I measured super carefully to set another line allowing for 1.5mm binding on each side. Nervously cut and sanded to the line.

20201205_190522.jpg

20201205_194206.jpg

Okay!

I really thought I took pictures of the next step but I guess not... To glue the binding, I cut a strip a bit over length for each side. I then set up a flat piece of wood to push against. Put down some wax paper. Ran a bead of superglue across my board, then pressed/sandwiched the binding between my fretboard and the flat surface. Held it a few minutes to be sure, and... yeah, worked great! I think I saw this on Highline guitars video.

After doing and trimming all sides, I had this. And it fits the neck well!

20201206_165823.jpg

20201206_121838.jpg

I did have some minor difficulty with fret dots. My forstner bit made a mess of a few holes (santa might have to bring some better ones)

20201206_141609.jpg

Decided to radius before gluing:

20201206_140525.jpg

photondev, Zepfan and Dereksys38 like this.
  5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Looking really good. Have you decided on pickups yet? I can recommend GuitarMadness for HB's, and he probably has good toasters too.

RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  6. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks very much! I'm planning to use something from the parts drawer that might fit the vibe. I bought a GFS Retrotron (hot liverpool) over a year ago at a good price, but I haven't used it yet because it's just a bridge and so distinctive looking. So I thought I'd use it here, looking Gretschy, and just do an esquire humbucker.

20201206_192921.jpg

I did route for a bucker today (and I'm 'training' my binding before gluing). The esquire probably makes sense because I might have overdone the tenon a bit, lol. I wanted upper fret access and I'm going to have that...

skunqesh, photondev, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  7. Engraver-60

That's really good vibe you have going there. Where in Quebec are you? My mom was born in Montreal, and we visited up there last year, and over the QC. Went to the Falls, and what glorious colors.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I'm in western Quebec, close to Ottawa, in the Gatineau hills. Close enough that I go to the ontario side for parts and lumber, but I'm in a smaller village and the landscape is all its own.

I lived in Montreal for a few years too, and get around the province a good deal with family and kids' hockey. Glad you've been up and have some connection!

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Dang, this is great to watch the progress. Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing the steps.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

11. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I am looking into the GM '57 humbuckers for my current build. Have you tried them?

12. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Really cool project Rivers.

13. Engraver-60

Yes, I have them in my Scrap Paul, and have a set waiting for the next LP build. For $36 delivered, I figured I could pitch them if I didnt like them. But, they are quite good to my ears; sweet at low volumes and crunch nicely at higher pushes. I accidentally got another set of the Alnico 5's (GM '59's) and not sure what I'll do with them. Maybe a different more custom style guitar after LP #2. I have a lot of great mahogany, flame maple, and walnut to use up while I still can build, play and tinker. I turned a coworker onto the brand, and he's bought probably 10 sets of all kinds for his guitars, and he's usually a SD user, so they do perform well.

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  14. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a shot.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Catching up a little... too busy this week to make progress but I'm anxious to get some stuff done this weekend!

So, small update and a question I'd be grateful to have your thoughts on --

I did manage to glue the fretboard. First I took care of some of the over stand I will have:

20201206_142116.jpg

I didnt use any of the brad point/toothpicks to position my board for gluing. Instead just marked things out and proceeded carefully

20201206_161239.jpg

20201206_161823.jpg

And, well, it's now a blockish neck:
    20201212_094800.jpg

I'm hoping to get to the carving sometime today.

Here's my question:

On the back of the headstock, where the runoff part of the neck joins my scarf piece, I had a bit of a uneven line going. I can sand this some more. But I kind of carelessly used the random orbit sander at first, and unwittingly sanded a slight dip at the edge:

20201212_095110.jpg

20201212_093902.jpg

Hm. This is on the bass side, and shouldn't affect my tuner sitting flat. So should I (1) just leave it, take care of it in carving, or (2) plane the rest of the headstock that's now thicker to lowest thickness. I am planning on adding a headstock veneer/layer on top, so can keep it thick enough, but that might bump out the plane of my string break angle. I've been looking at it too long o_O

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say depending on your transition shape, that material could get removed during the carve. Look at a Gibson neck...

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, Marty. I have an Epi LP and a Gretsch so have been comparing those closely, and of course lots of pictures of transitions and volutes. I've done some rough lines and will see how it looks in 3D, I guess!

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

The spindle sander is your friend :D. Use a 3" drum and gently freehand/blend it in. If you were here we could do it in 20 minutes ;)

Dave

19. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, Dave! It sure would be nice to have an experienced hand sometimes. I've got a spindle sander plus recently bought some drill-mounted sanding drums so I may give those a go in places.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

My first spindle sander was homemade, a 220v 2hp motor mounted on a pallet that had armature coils. I made a fence for trimming thin stock but free standing trimming a body was interesting to say the least. I have never used a router to profile a body and believe me,2hp teaches you DAMN good freehand coordination . Nothing like a body flying out of your hands across the yard to REALLY get your attention lol. But it was good for me in teaching me what one can do,a lot more than most people think so pay attention, you can do it ;)

Dave

Mr. Neutron and guitarbuilder like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.