Billm site down?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Treehouse, May 25, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Billmaudio.com access denied. Any insight?

Did someone forget to pay the power bill or site host?

any facebookers want to message Andrew to inquire?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

It's been down since March.

Treehouse likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Treehouse likes this.
  4. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

he passed away a while back. rip billm

play music!

Treehouse likes this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

No posts by his son on their FB page since April, 2019.

Treehouse likes this.
  6. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Always glad to help where I can!

Treehouse likes this.
  8. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

I run a website called HallmanLabs.com and one of my most viewed articles is my BillM Modded Fender Blues Jr. I have had readers asking me how to source the BillM mods that I am showing on the site. This leaves me, with a question!

If BillM passed (did he?) and his son, Andrew, is no longer filling orders. Is there any reason I can not start to, at the very least, produce his Clean Boost board? I could design my own and hope to match Bill's design, but do I need to? I feel like he nailed it (on cost & size vs performance) and I don't currently have the time to try and top BillM (which is a tall task, on that PCB footprint).

Legally, can I copy (most of) the design and then sell a slightly modified version of these Clean Boost modules? I am going to reach out to Andrew, for official permission. If he doesn't reply back, which it sounds like he may not (based on FB), could I proceed anyway? I have a BillM Boost Module on hand (to reference) and I am familiar with multi-layer PCB design. In other words, I am in a great position to offer these boards to the public, but do not want to step on any toes.

(I am currently a Senior in Computer Systems Engineering)

9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Consulting an attorney before starting such a business may save you some peace of mind (and, perhaps, money).

I wish you success because a good idea deserves to live on.

NCSUZoSo and kookaburra like this.
  10. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sound advice. :)

I don't want to do anything, to remotely upset anyone, but I do feel there is a lack of supply here, for a very specific market segment.

The Fender community, in my experience, are as knowledgable as the doctorates I met during Engineering at two highly ranked universities in NC.

BTW, I did email Andrew and I am hoping for a reply. I told him to take his time and think about it. I gave him multiple ideas, on how this could help both of us. I could produce all his mods, if he gave me the go-ahead. It's up to him, how he wants to proceed. If he stays silent, I will design it from the ground up.

The glaring part about this, for me, is "BillM", carries a lot of weight and I'd love to carry on his designs. The profits are not that important to me, seriously. I'd love to carry on his tradition of optimal quality at a low cost. The only problem is, I don't have the connection/relationships that Bill did, especially with the transformer manufacturers. However.... I do know the owner of Sparkos Labs, who is up for pretty much anything, haha. I also have a long history with Burson Audio, so I guess it wouldn't be much of a jump, for Hammond.

Keith
    https://hallmanlabs.com/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  11. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

I just came across another thing, that makes me think I won't be hearing anything from Andrew. Just read the complaints that were posted to the BBB regarding BillM:

https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/scotch-pl...quipment/billm-audio-0221-90164516/complaints

02/23/2020
    "I ordered a standby switch for a guitar amp. I paid them $27.50 through *** *** on 12/10/2019. Since then I’ve emailed numerous times, called numerous times( left voicemails) with no response. It is now past the deadline to file a refund dispute with *** ***."

05/26/2018

"On March 20, 2018, I ordered an item from the Billm Audio Website. About a month later, I sent a text to the number provided on the website asking for the product to be sent to me. I received a pre-shipping notice in the mail. After that, I heard nothing. I texted and called them a few times and did not receive a replay. It's been over two months since ordering this product."

If the complaints were closed, does that mean Andrew refunded them, or they just timed out?

This makes me wonder, just how many people got screwed over on their parts. I really hope Andrew did refund those customers, since I have been referring readers to their site, since 2017. :(

12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Seriously, just consult an attorney before starting a business based on someone else’s previous work. That could be the best money you invest in your business.

(I have a vested interest in seeing you succeed, since I may end up being a customer)

BlueCajun, tubegeek and NCSUZoSo like this.
  13. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I am not a lawyer (thank God) but I have been told that circuits can't be copyrighted and the thriving pedal clone business seems to support that.

14. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Would you bet your business and personal assets on that? Without legal advice to fallback on, that’s what you would be doing. (I’m not a lawyer either, but I’ve seen others do very unpredictable things when business & money are involved)

15. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Of course not. I'm not an idiot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.