Bill M instructions for Blues Jr

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Tom Freeman, May 11, 2016.

1. jonmichael02302

jonmichael02302 TDPRI Member

Lol... .022uf it is! I found a great site for anyone who's looking to mod their BJ. http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/amps/fender-blues-junior-mods.php
    If you'll notice, he used the .0022uf in C2 and C8 too but I like the idea of a little more thump myself so time to order me a couple of. 022.
    Any other Mod suggestions for the BJ? Mine is a 2003 cream board version. I picked it up for next to nothing ($150) & I want to spend the money i saved on hooking it up!

2. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

If you don't want to go all-in you could use .0047 caps in C2 and C8 as well. That would still give 'more' without running the risk of overloading the next section. If you overrun the next section, you either need to attenuate the signal by increasing resistance, a smaller coupling cap, or shunt some signal to ground. It may be a better starting point unless you really like to get in there and mess with the circuit a lot. The Blues Jr boards aren't particularly robust, so when I go in on one, I like to only do it once.

3. dankilling

jonmichael02302 likes this.
  4. jonmichael02302

Well the mods I'm doing does call for a shunt replacing R25. Is this what you mean by shunt signal to ground?

5. dankilling

Nope- that one is actually attached to the cap that stops runaway oscillation if I remember right

6. jonmichael02302

Whoa, God I wish I could understand this... lol. It's Chinese to me.... FOR NOW ANYWAY! I'M GOING TO LEARN THIS IF IT KILLS ME!

7. jonmichael02302

I agree, I only want to get in there once & get it over with. I've been preparing now for almost a month. Doing my research, ordering parts etc. I've been collecting all the parts & once I get all my ducks in a row, I'll fire away! I'm super excited to get started but I don't want to rush things and blow the house up! I'm basically doing every mod on this page
    http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/amps/fender-blues-junior-mods.php
    If you don't mind my asking, do you see anything on this page I'm missing that I should add to my list of modifications?

8. dankilling

If this is your first amp experience, I cannot emphasize safety enough. BillM has several videos specific to the Blues Jr and making sure the filter caps are fully discharged and the circuit is safe to work on. Please make sure you are 100% sure everything is safe before proceeding.

9. jonmichael02302

This is my first fender but no, I've modified a few Marshall's... Got bit by the bug & now I can't stop! Lol. I think I'll go with the .0047uf as you suggested. Better safe than sorry but I wish there were an easier way to test each without having to solder desolder each set cause I'm curious to hear the difference between the three.

10. dankilling

Awesome! Some of the builders I know actually have switching boxes to 'audition' different values before committing to one in a build or mod. I'm not there yet, but I do the calculations while I prototype. So far, it has served me well. Enjoy the ride, and don't let your iron go hotter than 750 or you'll burn the traces on that board. Heat control is key with the Blues Jr, for sure!

11. jonmichael02302

It's amazing you bring that up cause I was so worried about that i went & bought myself a hakko 1473040555711-1098565288.jpg
    Wanted to be sure I got control of the temperature and thought I'd keep it at about 350°c which I think is right around 660°f ?

12. dankilling

660 should be fine. I usually am right about 700

13. jonmichael02302

I ordered the Carling standby switch thru tube depot & was wondering if you might know how I would go about installing it?

14. jonmichael02302

Thank you for sharing this. I've been scouring the internet trying to find instructions for the cream board version. Your instructions are amazing but I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind, I just want to be sure to get this right...

1. Basically everything is already there for the new switch except I need to make a red wire lead/jumper to go from pole 2 to CP11?
    2. CP11, is this the same as P11 cause on my board there's no CP anything, just marked P11, P12, P13 etc...
    3. To make the wire lead, what gauge/volt wire should I use?
    4. What is S2A? Is that the stand alone black wire above the large F1 fuse?
    5. If i got it right & the above instructions are correct, that will leave the 2 white wires that are currently attached to poles 1 & 3 dangling. Where will they go?

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone but going off the old set up which was (from left to right, top to bottom) pole one white, pole two black, pole three white, pole four black... So white, black, white, black.
    When it's all said and done, the new set up should be (same configuration): Black, red, black, red correct?

Thanks again! This is truly the best site EVER!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If you've seen the TP-24 PT and various TO-20s mentioned, those were sourced through a joint venture of Allen Amps and Bill M. Audio. Guys... don't bother Dave Allen for the Bill M. mods, he had nothing to do with those. Deal was Dave and Bill went in together on the transformer buy. Most coil winders have a deal... the more you buy, the better the price.

Dave added connectors and shipped Bill's transformers to Bill.

Which is to say the TP-24 and the various TO-20s are still available from Allen Amps.

http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php

I don't know but I been told... the "snap in" style 50k audio pots needed for the master volume and reverb mods are difficult to find. So I looked...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender...50k-audio-taper-pot-discontinued-help.666741/

It looks like Mojotone has any snap- in style pot you might need for Blues Junior or Fender "reissue" amps. The snap in 2 meg RA for PRRI trem might be a little scarce. Dunno. I haven't looked.

16. jonmichael02302

I read somewhere that on a cream board version by switching out C1 (.47uf 16v) to a .022uf orange drop would provide more bottom end.... Also, by replacing R6 with 100k resistor would provide more gain/sooner breakup, (less gain/break up sooner 22K)? Could anyone confirm this to be true or false?

17. atokoy

atokoy TDPRI Member

18. Daanh

Daanh NEW MEMBER!

Hi all! I have a stock tweed blues jr iii right now. I really like it's sparkliness. I miss some bass. However, I'm going to return it because today I got hold of a used texas red blues junior. I was told it is a BJ ii.

I don't like the Vintage 30 speaker, going to replace that with (probably) a Texas Heat. I also want to do some of the mods described in this thread.

Does anyone have the schematics of BillM's sparkle mod? I would like to be able to switch to the BJ iii sparkle.

Also, which output transformer would you recommend as a good replacement? Preferably available in Europe.

Lastly , what is a good place to get these orange drop caps?

Thanks , Daan

19. TruePatriot

TruePatriot NEW MEMBER!

I know this thread is a year old, but I just received my Billm mods today. The store is open once again. Bill Machrone passed away Halloween 2016 of cancer, about the time of this thread. His son has the store up and running again, and my turnaround was five days for my kit, as they are custom made to order. billmaudio.com

telestratosonic likes this.
  20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Good to hear!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.