Bill Lawrence...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mr.Reed, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

for those of you that have dealt with him, how long does it take for them to usually respond? I sent an email yesterday morning and I've yet to hear a reply (although I usually give a couple days before I figure I'll call, or send off another email). Just wondering, cause I'm interested in buying a pickup of his, but can't seem to figure out how to "buy" the darn thing.

2. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

If you search, you will find several threads, reflecting the varied opinions on that question (I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think you'd get a better picture of it that way).

I've never dealt with him, but it does seem that I've heard they respond better to phone calls than email...

3. brandt

brandt Tele-Holic

same issues in the past - I resolved it by picking up the phone. Small company, nice people - Becky will get back to you but phone is best...

4. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Say, it could be worse! You could be trying to communicate with Howard Dumble!

5. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Haha, I guess I'll give um a call when I'm free in a few. They should just post that on their site! Best just to call us!

6. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

+1, Becky seems good about returning calls, and was very pleasant to deal with.

7. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely nice people !
    i tried the phone after many e-mail attempts failed, but i got a machine and left a message....i have yet to hear from them and it's been at least 6 months...
    too bad too, as i really want to $pend some money on Bill's new twin rail Tele p-ups !
    Good Luck.

8. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

That's exactly what I want to spend my money on!!! Now it'd just be easier on both of us if they check email :lol:;) That and they would have made a $100 on the both of us!

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a thread like this every other week; sometimes two.

On one hand I like that I can pick up the phone, order a bunch of pickups from Becky, and the competition is not as hot as it would be otherwise;

And I guess any form of "Advertisement" is good - everyone understands the product is great - while I post excessively on this board I'm not e-mail savvy and I have folks I do business with who flat do not use the web in any way. Hey, you gotta be ready when the whole web blows up, right? How did we survive without e-mail? :D

;)

10. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I also wouldnt be surprised if Becky herself see's this thread and responds directly too you, and in this thread (its happened before).

+1 on Becky and Bill being good folks too. They're just a little more "old-school" than some folks, so maybe the phone call is best.

Maestrovert, try another call too em, and I'm sure Becky will either pick up the phone, or get back too you soon.

11. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

How odd... I've never bough anything on the phone before... always time to try something new. Just called them and got the machine. Guess I'll try back in a little bit.

12. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Well I just called and got Becky (I believe). I've got the L-48TL Duel Blade Pickup coming sometime next week!!! It only cost $58.50, and from what I've been reading, and from Arlo's sound clips... I can't wait to wire this bad boy in!

13. echale iii

echale iii Tele-Holic

Here's a link to a post I recently made on this subject....

14. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Let me say I am neutral here. I know when I want something I get frustrated if there are issues that cause it to be difficult or timely. Especially when you read rave reviews and you Got To Have It! We all have a streak of that in us. :D

I talk to Bill almost daily. He is 77 years old and has numerous and serious health problems. Some serious enough to knock most people off their feet and out of business completely and permanently. I won't get detailed here but try to understand he is not well.

This isn't about sympathy for Bill just have respect as you would have for any person his age. Like any elderly person he isn't the "Johnny on the spot" guy he once was. However the guy is impervious and won't stop doing what he loves to do.

It would be easy for him to say F_ck this and live out his days some other way. He is like a grandparent that has semi retired but can't give up his life's work. For Bill Lawrence it is designing world class pickups and sharing his passion with those who will listen to him.

I know some of you may be saying **** you get special treatment being his friend and all. Let me just say it took me months to get 5 Keystone Bridge pups. I didn't bash him because it took so long. I respected him and let it happen on his watch.

I can't defend any sour business deals any of you may have had. I don't know the story and there is always two sides to every story.

Although it can be frustrating to get pickups it is worth the effort.

Bill is not a computer person other than reading posts on occasion. I don't think he even knows how to start his email program. He leaves a lot of that up to Becky. She alone has to answer what 100 emails a day! Keerighst I would be bloody bonkers if I got more than 20 a day!

The best method is to phone them and if you don't get through just try again. They could be at the doctors office as he has been feeling poorly lately so take it easy on the guy fellas.

Criticizing Bill seems to be rampant these days but keep in mind he is getting older and maybe a little forgiveness and understanding for the latency issues would be a better approach. He won't be with us forever and these precious pickups that he still manages to sell to us little people are hard to get and well worth every penny and hassle doing so.

Just my 2 cents and call me what you will but have a little mercy on the guy. After all he has been generous to everyone with his prices and knowledge.

PS, I will get a call and most likely get an earful for this post [it's not bad really, kind of like a grandfather telling you what the hell did you do that for?] but it is worth it to hear my friends voice on the phone again alive and well. ;)

15. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Thanx Arlo, i had no idea Bill was ailing some and i'm heartily sad to hear it....Please, convey my best wishes to him next time you've got him on the line ?

for the record, i sincerely apologise if stating my experience with my attempts at contacting them has been misconstrued as bashing...i truly had no intent to do any such thing.

i'll keep trying as i really want a set of his new dual rails....

Thanx again Arlo

16. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta call Becky...............

17. brandt

brandt Tele-Holic

Thanks Arlo - well said. I don't know the Lawrences' personally like some of you but I am a customer of Bill and Becky's. The first and only guitar I have assembled is stocked with their pups and I must say that the product is terrific. I am making 2 more partscasters at the moment and 3 of the 4 pickups for these 2 guitars will be Lawrence pups for sure.

Patience and respect for anyone is called for... especially in this situation. His life story is amazing and it is my feeling that having a little bit of Bill's experience in my guitar(s) is a treasure and an opportunity to not pass up.

His small business is a reminder of what it was like working with a craftsman before the age of instant gratification.

18. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the post Arlo. I wasn't really upset, I was just wondering (I live in the digital age, and that pickup was the first thing I've ordered over the phone!!!). I just called them, and it took no time to get a hold of them (and Becky replied to my email today, thanking me for the purchase, I'll be responding telling them thank you for the product!), very easy to talk to and very friendly. I appreciate Bill for doing what he is doing, and I can only hope I can still be doing what I want to be doing when I'm his age.

19. echale iii

echale iii Tele-Holic

I am sorry that he's got health problems. I wouldn't wish them on my enemies (if I actually had any enemies), but.....

If he's got health problems that he needs to attend to, by all means do so--take what time and steps he needs to get better--but if he's also trying to run a business at the same time, he really should make some sort of arrangements to handle operational issues while he's getting through the tough spots.

I'm all for cutting the man a break, because there's some day I will surely need somebody to cut me (another!) one, and I hope to have a few points with the karma fairy I can cash in. That said, in my case, the farce has stretched out well beyond the "cut the man a break" point.

I've tried twice to purchase pickups from them--multiple e-mails sent in a couple months ago, and multiple e-mails sent around a year prior to that time, and I was cash-in-hand both times. I never heard so much as a peep from them.... Ever.... Until Becky Lawrence responded to a post of mine in another thread on this board....

I know they've taken and filled plenty of orders in the interim, so what's up with that? The other companies I wound up purchasing pickups from have been johnny-on-the-spot with excellent products, support, and service.

People love his pickups, and dare I say with good reason. I wanted real Bill Lawrence products, not the fake ones, and I wish I could say I loved the ones I got, but since I never got any, it's kind of hard to be able to say that.

I don't write this in a mean-spirited way but when the question is asked, I feel that all sides need to be in evidence so the OP will know that while there's lots of love for those pickups and the people behing them, it's not all teddy bears and flowers out there. If he's one of the lucky ones, great, if he's not, well, join the club....

20. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

No need to apologize brothers or take my post as anything but sharing a little info with you. Merely a way to shine a little light on things as I understand them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.