Bill Lawrence L500xl help.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Geniustoogs, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

I've got this Bill Lawrence l500xl that I've put j to my Les Paul studio. I wired it based on the les Paul wiring diagram, and it worked alright but the volume was all or nothing and the tone didn't work at all. (That's the wiring in the picture) then I tried the pickups wiring diagram and it all works but is extremely quiet. I have to turn my amp up all the way just to hear a little sound. Any ideas? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

I'm unsure what you're actually using. Is it an old Bill Lawrence pickup made by Bill himself, or a new pickup sold by his ex-partner through Bill Lawrence USA rather than Bill's company Wilde USA?

Bill has used white to hot, red and green together and isolated, and black and shield (now blue) to ground for a very long time. The other guy is probably doing something else, so if you have one of Bill's old ones, you should try that.

3. Derek Kiernan

[​IMG]

4. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

It's a Bill Lawrence USA. All the wires are encased in a big red tube and the ground is black and bare. Green and white are currently together and red is hot. It's actually started working miraculously so maybe something weird was happening at first?

5. Derek Kiernan

Okay, are the white and green connected and isolated? You could use some heatshrink or even just a little normal tape to make sure they don't touch anything else.

6. Derek Kiernan

If they touch anything that goes to ground, you get a coil cut.

7. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Yes they are. I believe I've fixed the problem.. Everything is working alright now

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.