Bill Lawrence L-250 Tele bridge pickup wiring question

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I wired this up last night and the Lawrence L-250 blade bridge pickup is very thin and not loud at all. It did not come with wire instructions. It's 3 wire. One bare, one black and one white. I wish I would have hooked it to my meter before wiring it up, I usually do that but I assumed black and bare would go to ground on back of pot and white was hot to the switch, which is what I did.
I've searched for the wire color codes for this pickup and have not found anything other than humbucker wire codes.
It was late last night so I didn't take it back apart and trouble shoot. I'm sure I can figure it but I'd like to know what color wires are supposed to go where from the manufacturer.
This guitar is a squier pine body I picked up off CL and an allparts neck I've had for a while. Gotoh neck humbucker. 500 k pots, 3 way switch.
Thanks!
image (3).jpg
image (4).jpg
image (5).jpg
image (6).jpg
image (7).jpg

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Came to the conclusion this pickup is junk. I had an SD Quarter pound. Put it in there, sounds great.
Instead of messing with a return to the eBay seller I bought the Lawrence from I’ll probably just eat it.
After googling these Lawrence pickups Ube discovered they’re not really BL pickups at all, cheap copies but they can use the name somehow. His family probably sold the rights after he passed away or something.
image.jpg

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For one you got one of the fake Bill Lawence pups. The real one are only available from Becky Lawrence & daughter Shannon at www.wildepickups.com

The Microcoils are amazing for poles & L48/L45 for blades.

Eric
Eric,
Yes I figured that out while googling. This is the first BL pickup I’ve ever ordered.
Can you explain to me how someone is selling these pickups branded BL? It seems to have been going on for a while.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
Hmmm. I just installed a vintage L-250 in my Mustang. The pickup leads were a red wire (hot) plus black and bare (both connected to ground). Before I installed, I checked the resistance on my meter - 12K ohms. The pickup sounds great and is very noise-free, being a humbucker. It seems to match well with the SD Antiquity Mustang single coil neck pickup, even with both pickups activated. The only issue is that my volume and tone pots are both 250K which rolls some highs off the L-250. Not a lot but it would interesting to swap the volume pot for a 500K.

397E96AA-E4FC-4E87-A5AB-85CFAF9E5E0F.jpeg

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Eric,
Yes I figured that out while googling. This is the first BL pickup I’ve ever ordered.
Can you explain to me how someone is selling these pickups branded BL? It seems to have been going on for a while.
It's a saga of a story others know better than I. In a nutshell, Bill Lawrence was the American name Bill used as a performer rather than his real name, Willi Lorenz Stich. He had a business partner early on who when Bill had to return to Europe where he was orginally from for various reasons. While gone his business partner contined the business using Bill Lawremce & basically took it as a trademark to do business. There have been lawsuits but in the end a guy who designed none of Bill's pickups is able to mass produce knock offs of Bill's designs from when they were in business with "Bill Lawrence USA" name on them.

They aren't the same quality or include advancements Bill made in pickups over the years. Bill's Wilde pickps have been my automatic in all builds for the past decades unless someone specifies otherwise. After I let them play one with Bill's pups in it they always choose them.
My youtube channel has a bunch of demos of variious models of his teal pickups. The clarity & versatility is unreal!

Eric

Last edited:

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's a saga of a story others know better than I. In a nutshell, Bill Lawrence was the American name Bill used as a performer rather than his real name, Willi Lorenz Stich. He had a business partner early on who when Bill had to return to Europe where he was orginally from for various reasons. While gone his business partner contined the business using Bill Lawremce & basically took it as a trademark to do business. There have been lawsuits but in the end a guy who designed none of Bill's pickups is able to mass produce knock offs of Bill's designs from when they were in business with "Bill Lawrence USA" name on them.

They aren't the same quality or include advancements Bill made in pickups over the years. Bill's Wilde pickps have been my automatic in all builds for the past decades unless someone specifies otherwise. After I let them play one with Bill's pups in it they always choose them.
My youtube channel has a bunch of demos of variious models of his teal pickups. The clarity & versatility is unreal!

Eric

Great info Eric, thanks for taking the time to explain.
I messaged the eBay seller, he said I did wire the pickup correctly and is sending me a shipping label for a full refund. I'm guessing this is pretty common with these pickups as he did t even question it.
Live and learn. I am glad the seller is refunding though.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Great info Eric, thanks for taking the time to explain.
I messaged the eBay seller, he said I did wire the pickup correctly and is sending me a shipping label for a full refund. I'm guessing this is pretty common with these pickups as he did t even question it.
Live and learn. I am glad the seller is refunding though.
Jump over to www.wildepickups.com and by a set of microcoils or L48 blades! You won't regret any extra cost.