Bill Lawrence Hot Rails Thanks TDPRI !!!!!

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I recently posted the question asking "what is a good choice of a humbucker for a Tele". Several members suggested Bill Lawrence rails. Well I listened and now I have a loaded Tele with the Bill Lawrence L48T on the bridge and the L280TN noiseless on the neck. I'm certainly not disappointed! These might be the best pups I have, especially the neck pup. Clear, rich and creamy. I am also loving the way they feel (if that makes sense) or maybe respond is a better word for it. It feels like an acoustic guitar but sounds like an electric. I also enjoyed learning about Bill himself. You always hear about Les Paul but Bill has probably made as much of an impact on our world as LP. Lol...Dimarzio and Kent Armstrong where his apprentices. Thanks for the suggestions. Below is a link to Bills website. If you don't buy any pups, at least read his bio.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
maybe something to look at ;-)

wadeeinkauf

Tele-Afflicted
I have 10 guitars that I have built hanging on the wall behind me. This is the one I play all the time. One reason is the Bill and Becky L610. It is Bill’s take on a noiseless P90 in a humbucker size. If anyone has any of the L610s they want to sell please PM me. My absolute favorite Strat pickup is the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups (SCN) designed by Bill for Fender.
d.jpg

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
i have had a lot of models, a journey to find that what i like, and i have my favorites.
you US located players are so lucky for having this products on your doorstep that cheap.
shipping, taxes and customs costs make it expensive for the ones outside the US

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
i have had a lot of models, a journey to find that what i like, and i have my favorites.
you US located players are so lucky for having this products on your doorstep that cheap.
shipping, taxes and customs costs make it expensive for the ones outside the US
I forget how lucky we are with certain things. Are there any boutique pick up shops where you are?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have 10 guitars that I have built hanging on the wall behind me. This is the one I play all the time. One reason is the Bill and Becky L610. It is Bill’s take on a noiseless P90 in a humbucker size. If anyone has any of the L610s they want to sell please PM me. My absolute favorite Strat pickup is the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups (SCN) designed by Bill for Fender.
View attachment 1011013
I like the axe. What kind is it

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I forget how lucky we are with certain things. Are there any boutique pick up shops where you are?
there will be but they don't have the 'vision' Bill had with "a pickup is a part of a chain from speaker to brain and all in between"
so his pickups will produce your playing skills as good as it gets, and without a dominant sound attitude you can tweak them with amps,pedals, strings, and your playing style.

so i don't like the soft attack of the L45, from all i had in single coil the L280 is my winner.
L90 does not attract me as much as the L500
so you have some 'voices' in his pickups, but you have the room to tweak the sound.

had a G&L asat tribute with the big MFD USA pickups in it.
at first i liked it a lot, but than i got so tired of the bassy attitude that i could not get rid of although the guitar was superb, i sold it anyway

ndtced

TDPRI Member
I just put some in my Tele yesterday. L500 in the neck and L500XL in the bridge. I'm using a 5 way switch (1- bridge; 2 - both 3 - neck 4 - bridge & neck out of phase 5 - bridge series). They heve amazing sound; so clear even when overdriven. I set the height with nickels as Bill suggested. There is literally no sound that is bad with these. Becky any Sharron were more than helpful. Becky recommended these as Johnny Lang uses these in his setup.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659893109622.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659893109622.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1659893120625.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659893120625.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 20

devrock

Tele-Meister
I just put some in my Tele yesterday. L500 in the neck and L500XL in the bridge. I'm using a 5 way switch (1- bridge; 2 - both 3 - neck 4 - bridge & neck out of phase 5 - bridge series). They heve amazing sound; so clear even when overdriven. I set the height with nickels as Bill suggested. There is literally no sound that is bad with these. Becky any Sharron were more than helpful. Becky recommended these as Johnny Lang uses these in his setup.

Explain this nickel thing...

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
if you have the room for a pushpull ore mini switch try parallel option to with the XL.
did that to my guitar to together with the 4 way that includes pickups in series to together with @Rob DiStefano DIY noload tonepot and makes it even more versatile

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
Bill Lawrence recommended putting a nickel on the pickup under the high e string and holding the string down at the highest point. Then raise/lower till the string touches the nickel. Use two for the low e. I have played with it and prefer the low e a little higher.
and most of all, let your ears decide, one string set of a brand may interact different that the same of another brand.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
I'm a big fan of Bill's work, philosophies and designs and have Wilde pickups in loads of my guitars (L200s, Keystones L-90s, L500s etc). Also dig the Q Filter. It's great that Becky and Shannon have carried on making the products.

I have three L-45s in my G&L Legacy and I love them but I encountered endless squeal problems with the L-48 on my #1 Korean Tele when I had the L-48/L-45 combination installed. Any gain would make the bridge plate squeal even at modest volumes. It was always when the bridge pickup was selected or in the middle position. I tried two different bridge plates (the stock item and a Wilkinson ashtray) and also padding inside the pickup cavity but I could never stop the L-48 from squealing so had to change them out. I have Duncan 1/4 Pounders in there now and like them a lot and they don't squeal no matter how loud or gained out I get. I haven't had any issues with the L200s or the Keytsones in my other two Korean Teles -- no squeal from them at all and they use the exact same bridges too.

Last edited:

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I'm a big fan of Bill's work, philosophies and designs and have Wilde pickups in loads of my guitars (L200s, Keystones L-90s, L500s etc). Also dig the Q Filter. It's great that Becky and Shannon have carried on making the products.

I have three L-45s in my G&L Legacy and I love them but I encountered endless squeal problems with the L48 on my #1 Korean Tele when I had the L-48/L-45 combination installed. Any gain would make the bridge plate squeal even at modest volumes. It was always when the bridge pickup was selected or in the middle position. I tried two different bridge plates (the stock item and a Wilkinson ashtray) and also padding inside the pickup cavity but I could never stop the L-45 from squealing so had to change them out. I have Duncan 1/4 Pounders in there now and like them a lot and they don't squeal no matter how loud or gained out I get. I haven't had any issues with the L200s or the Keytsones in my other two Korean Teles -- no squeal from them at all and they use the exact same bridges too.
what did de Wild's say about the squealing? i think they would have to know

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
what did de Wild's say about the squealing? i think they would have to know
I don’t think they advise using them with a ferrous bridge plate if you want to play beyond medium gain. I did speak with Becky about it at some point on a forum but the general conversation was about the Tele design which did not for-see a world of higher gain sounds. Bill had a short article up about these limitations at one point. I just pulled them out and sold them after nearly a decade of struggling with them and trying suggested fixes. I pull high gain with other designs including other Wilde models on the same bridge plate.

Last edited: