Bill Lawrence 5 way mod

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Brian4915, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Brian4915

Brian4915 TDPRI Member

Is it possible to do the Bill Lawrence 5 way mod with a humbucker at the bridge and a dpdt on on switch for coil split.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yup. Here's a diagram, using SDuncan pickup lead colors. Obviously you need a 4-wire humbucker to split it.

It looks confusing, but if you're already familiar with the Lawrence wiring, the only change is to tie the red+white together, at the switch, and when it's engaged, connect it to ground. That shorts out the north coil, and leaves you with the screw coil active.

If you wanted the slug coil active, to be a bit further away from the saddles, then you connect that gray wire on the toggle switch, not to ground, but to the five-way, same lug as the south-start is connected to.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 12.53.41 PM.png

eallen and BB like this.
  3. Brian4915

Brian4915 TDPRI Member

Once again thank you for your help. My humbucker has dimarzio colour coding but I think I can work it out by your diagram. Just to clarify something on the diagram it mentions string ground and B- what do these mean. I'm assuming string ground goes to the bridge

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. moosie

Oh, shoot, ignore the B- . Sometimes I draw just the terminals of the pickups, and not pictures of the pickups themselves. This is a cut-and-paste error from that method of doing it .

Yes, string ground is a wire from the bridge plate.

5. Brian4915

Brian4915 TDPRI Member

Cheers my friend would you believe there's no ground from the bridge in this tele I'm working on.

6. moosie

No. I.wouldn't. Meaning, the bridge must be grounded some way. All metal parts on an electric guitar will act as antennae if not grounded.

See if it's grounded by metering resistance between output jack collar and the metal bit in question.

7. Brian4915

Brian4915 TDPRI Member

Moosie

The Vixen as she's affectionately known by has just roared into life. All switches working as they should. Many thanks for all your help and advice.

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.