1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bill Kirchen @ Zoo Bar in Lincoln, NE

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by p_lawls, Nov 7, 2016.

1. p_lawls

p_lawls TDPRI Member

Caught the first show of Bill's current tour and it was killer. He's such a class act. Walked around the bar and visited with everybody and played for over three hours. I love his vocals almost as much as his playing. Makes me wonder if guys like him and Redd ever took lessons or if they just hacked away at it over the years.

He was using his Rick Kelley Bowery Pine tele and is back on his vintage SF Deluxe Reverb -- a change from his Magnatone Varsity. Volume = 6, Treble = 6 Bass = 6. As for pedals, he's keeping it simple but did update his Boss TR-2 tremolo with a Strymon Flint. BOSS TU-2 > BOSS DM-3 > FRANTONE HEPCAT > STRYMON FLINT > AMP.

Couldn't get a photo, but that was it. The FLINT really nailed the Magnatone pitch vibrato.

texastengu, tbb007 and troy2003 like this.
  2. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Awesome to hear. I have to see him, even if I have to drive quite a ways to see him. Class act all the way. Really getting into his music of late and also the early Commander Cody stuff

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

How? The Flint I have offers volume variation only, no pitch variation.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish he'd come back to Colorado. Was it something we said, Bill?

5. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Holic

So I just went to Bill's website to see if he was coming through Minneapolis and sure enough - three days ago.

Dang...

6. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Saw him at San Francisco's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this year (and two years ago), and it's always a high point of the festival. It's always a kick to hear how much tonal variety he can get out of his party-piece version of Hot Rod Lincoln with nothing but the flick of a switch and a toe on the occasional pedal.

7. tbb007

Songkick. Or Bandsintown. Sign up for free, put in every artist you'd be even slightly interested in seeing, and they'll calendar it for you when they're in the area.

fendertx likes this.
  8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I did Songkick for a while, but now I use Bandsintown. Great app!

9. tbb007

It's funny: I don't get out to shows as much as I used to (San Francisco's just an unbearable slog from where I live, and there's hardly any decent venues in the San Jose area), but always knowing when my favorites are coming-- knowing I could go if I wanted to make the effort--somehow makes me feel less that I'm missing out.

10. p_lawls

p_lawls TDPRI Member

I believe the Harmonic trem setting gives you a little bit of a phase/vibe trem sound, but I'm not hearing a ton of pitch shifting on that setting. He had the FLINT set very subtly, and may have been adding a little vibrato to some of the chord to get some warble and pitch shift.

I've played the new Magnatone Twilighter and while the FLINT can't do the full on pitch shift that the amp does, Bill was getting some of that Magnatone feel down. He's the man!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.