1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bill Frisell Thomas Morgan, Tele interplay at its finest

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ASATKat, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I love Bill's Tele tone, simple yet full and warm and just a Deluxe. Just his tone production alone knocks me off my feet.

Thomas Morgan responds to Bill with everything he plays yet he commands the pulse and he is the driver. So respond and drive at the same time, and world class ideas and execution leaving Bill free of that responsibility to dance on his Tele, and dance is a good choice of words, imo he's one of the most exciting partnerings with Bill.

This is Pearl written by Thomas Morgan,

What are your thoughts on this performance?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The performance would be more enjoyable if the recording was not a mess. I can’t listen to it.

Okay...I changed the system through which I was listening...better...but still there are some points which the signal o the recorder is too hot and things are muddled.

3. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Too bad, I don't have that prob. I hear a slight hiss, typical of a room recording.

4. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I saw them about three years ago and was seated front and center, in a small theatre type venue.
    One of the best shows I’ve ever been to, and the interplay was definitely a very big part of it.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for posting that! I had already watched this session, but just watched it again with much pleasure. (no problem for me with the recording too)
    I have yet to see Bill Frisell live (and surely hope I’ll get the chance to do so). One of the performances I enjoyed the most on Youtube is the one at Elvis’ home:

WingedWords and Greggorios like this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really love their 2 live recordings at the Village Vanguard, Small Town and Epistrophy. Their almost mystical interplay is even more evident on these recordings. BTW Bill's playing tonight and for the next 4 nights, again, at the Village Vanguard in NYC, with the Andrew Cyrille Quartet.

7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Interesting. I just saw the film Bill Frisell: A Portrait" with my wife on Sunday evening. I was vaguely aware of him, but (since jazz isn't really my jam) hadn't really gotten into him much, but was really impressed with both his playing and tone - enough to warrant further exploration.

WingedWords and ASATKat like this.
  8. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I don't know how I got to my advanced age without discovering Bill Frisell until last year. I'm so enjoying catching up with his work and this performance is one of my favourites. Second only to the Fretboard Journal solo performances like this

Well worth tracking this documentary down

https://www.billfrisellfilm.com

(Edit - it's the one bsman mentioned.)

He seems to be one of the nicest gents around too.

ASATKat and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.