Bill Frisell`s "custom" telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MichaelAa, Nov 24, 2014.

1. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Hey!

I`ve been listening a lot to Bill Frisell again lately, especially his last albums. Such inspiring music!

And I really dig this short scale custom tele he`s playing. It looks incredible!

[​IMG]

Here`s what he says about: (copied from a guitarplayer article)

"It isn’t exactly a Tele, though, is it?

No, not exactly. It looks like a sunburst Telecaster Custom with a bound body, but it isn’t completely hollow. Jay sliced off the top, routed out the body, and put the top back on. Also, it has a 24 3/4" scale length, which is shorter than on a normal Telecaster and more like you’d find on a Gibson, making it sound slightly different and feel a little easier on your hands, especially when playing down low. And the pickups are like the single-coil DeArmonds found on some ’50s Gretsch guitars. They’re not as loud or high-output as a P-90, but at the same time they don’t sound thin, and the tone is very clear. They are screwed directly into the body, so there’s this interaction with the top where they are vibrating at the same time. I don’t know if it’s scientifically proven that that does anything, but I think it does [laughs]. The pickups on my Yanuziello guitar are also screwed right into the body."

Anyway, I`m thinking of building myself a short scale telly based on this. Could anyone tell me what neck he is using? There`s some good shots of the headstock here. Anyone here`s got a 24 3/4 telly neck?

thanks,
    M

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. ZipCity117

ZipCity117 TDPRI Member

Think there's a 24.75 rosewood on one of the squier teles - vintage modified thinline I believe.

3. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Look for a Fender Tele-Sonic. It was a 24 3-4" scale tele with DeArmond pickups.

Also, Warmoth makes a 24 3/4" scale conversion neck, designed to convert a standard scale tele body to a 24 3/4" scale guitar.

Nubs likes this.
  4. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. But I`m thinking of building it myself. Will probably get a Musikraft neck.

5. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

You should make one, that thing looks amazing.

Nathan

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I would love to follow a build thread if you decide to put one together. I downloaded the "Guitar in the Space Age" album as well, love it.

7. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. I love Bill's Big Sur stuff.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What are you going to do for pickups?

9. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Regarding pickups, I`m not sure yet. The vintage ones are pretty hot, and quite tall, so I may look for a newer type. Maybe TV Jones Dearmond?
    I also have a 60s Goldfoil in a drawer somewhere, I think that could be pretty cool paired with an old supro string-through bridge pup.

First I gotta find a nice neck. I love old Jag necks, so I`m also considering ordering a body that will fit old MM or Duo Sonic necks.

The research is half the fun :)

10. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

So if it is hollowed out it's kinda of a non-f-hole tele-sonic thinline......remember seeing a picture of Bill Frisell playing a white blond telecaster that had a one piece rosewood neck with....wait for it.....a snakehead headstock....kinda interesting look.

11. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

The TV Jones T-Armonds are fabulous pickups, and vastly cheaper than the Seymour Duncan versions. They are a little brighter and clearer than the Duncans. Opinions vary about which is superior, but pretty much everyone agrees that they are better than the latter-day stock versions of DynaSonics.

There are two different pickups with similar names. They look the same, but they're not. Here are the differences, in the words of "Bill Turner at Fender" (don't know exactly who he is, but I wanted to give credit):

"The 2K is configured like a P-90.
    The pole pieces and pole adjust screws are steel. The poles extend through the bobbin where they are trapped between a pair of like pole Alnico 5 bar magnets. The bobbin is surrounded by a thin steel U channel from below the bobbin to enhance the pickups inductance.

DC resistance: 7.4K
    Inductance: 6 Henries
    43 gage magnet wire

The sound is like a P-90, in that it is a very fat single coil, but not quite as heavy as a P-90.

The 2000 uses only 1/4 inch Alnico 5 pole pieces in the bobbin, the sound is bright with that great rockabilly snap.

DC resistance: 8.85K
    Inductance: 3.55 Henries
    44 gage magnet wire"

The TeleSonics actually features the 2Ks.

12. Drewski

Drewski TDPRI Member

Warmoth makes a great short scale conversion neck. I have no idea if Musikraft does, Ive never seen it on their website although I havent looked for it specifically.

The T-Armonds are absolutely stellar pickups! Theyre offered in a P-90 size, so its a pretty build to source parts for!

13. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

My first real guitar was a 52 Gretsch Electromatic with one DeArmond that had awesome tone. Thanks mom. What a poorly made guitar but the tone....! $100 Michaels Music Torrance CA 1969....

I see these 50's DeArmonds for big bucks on eBay from time to time but I would never buy a vintage PU without credence of its' sound.

I also have a strat build that is taking me years to configure(build) it's a custom Musicraft neck with a mid scale length of 25" ( Prs). With the SS fret wire, I would go with them. I love most everything about Warmoth but they don't roll the edges or round the fret ends as some builders do. But their tone wood, truss rod design and radius(fast) is high quality.
    Love these PU's almost worth buying a 50's guitar ( some are around 700$ )and taking the PU's out for a tele build and putting in some other PU's resale option?
    I live near Seymour and I want to hear his version. Interesting.

14. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Cheers guys. I talked with a friend who tried a 50s Dearmond in the neck, but paired with a regular bridge pup it was way too hot. And I`m not sure of how deep you actually can route them, they`re quite tall I think.

I`ve had a couple of MK necks, they`re great quality indeed. I`ll also ask Marc Rutters if maybe he can make me a nice neck. His necks are the best imo. Right up there with my old ones.

I got really interested in the T-Armonds now :)

15. Timo

Timo Tele-Meister

Hey Michael Aa and anyone else who is interested: J. W. Black, who used to work at the Fender Custom Shop, and now lives in Oregon, USA, built Bill Frisell's Tele. There's an article about Bill and the tele in the December issue of Premier Guitar magazine (by the way- Bill also plays Nash teles). If you want a short scale neck, maybe J.W. Black can tell you where to find one.

16. Ramon Goose

Ramon Goose TDPRI Member

Here's mine which is influenced actually by the guitar player that did The Good, The Bad and the Ugly soundtrack ( I personalized mine with an old Guyatone goldfoil in the neck):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  17. Ramon Goose

Ramon Goose TDPRI Member

This is the guy I copied: Enrico Ciacci - Italian spaghetti Western session guy

[​IMG]

Crobbins and TigerG like this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My #1 (my avatar) has the Warmoth conversion neck. (24 3/4" scale) I went with the "fatback" profile....1" depth from nut to body. I LOVE it!....only thing I would change, I ordered 6150 frets, should have gone 6105 or even 6130. My PRS has shorter frets, probably like 6130....it is truly a "fretless wonder".
    The Warmoth is licensed by Fender, so it has correct Tele headstock shape.

Ramon Goose and telemnemonics like this.
  19. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I have a Cabronita tele with a Warmoth conversion neck (Gibson scale).....stock pup in the neck,Zhangliqun O'Bucker in the bridge.
    It was a little weird at first getting used to the different scale "look/feel",but all is well now. :>)

Ramon Goose and nojazzhere like this.
  20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My main Tele is also a 24.75. Grew up playing an Epiphone Les Paul and I never got used to the 25.5 scale, so when I fell in love with the Tele I had to do the short scale. Love it. Won't play anything else now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.