1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bike to ebike as only transportation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Isn't it, though?

getbent likes this.
  2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Nope, not going to play your game. If I feel the need I'll pm you.

Please stop the baiting. Mods see it all.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Good advice. Let's both take it.

4. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I have no problem getting getting along with bicyclist as I sometimes am one. I'm also sometimes a motorcyclist and a pickup driver. If I disregard say a stop sign or go down a one way street the wrong way While riding either my motorcycle or car I put my license for both at risk If bicycles are in a lane next to me they should share the same penalties, and in most if not all places I've been in the US they do not. Just sayin:)

imwjl, Ironwolf and JuneauMike like this.
  5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

One thing I really like about the Lectric ebike is that it can be modified, upgraded. like handlebars, even the battery. The $899 basically gives me a good motor and frame, accessories can be added to improve it. I like that idea, I can choose the upgrades and quality.

Plus, it will give me something to work on besides music and guitar.

Any thoughts on alarms that will alert me?
    What's the best you've used. I'm all into your input.

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I agree, go with the flow of traffic, even in the bike lane. But bike/foot paths right next to the road can go both directions.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Check your state's statutes. In my state and others one violates the same statutes with few exceptions. Most municipalities here have officers assigned to bike/ped enforcement. That might not be done or practical all over. The exceptions you get on a bicycle in my state or some of them apply to your motorcycle and farm machinery.

As said somewhere in all this to satisfy the whiners, when they studied the equity here, the frequency of motor vehicle drivers violating speed limit, stop signs, turn signals and parking was so high that equitable selective or concentrated enforcement was near impossible.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    getbent likes this.
  8. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

So, before my time and all, but I'm guessing that the driving of motorised vehicles became a licensing matter because the driver is responsible for what routinely becomes a lethal weapon in a collision.
    So I agree that, at some point in terms of the increasing potential speed and power of an e-bike, licensing becomes a relevant consideration.
    But push bikes? You lost me...

breadfreak likes this.
  9. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

So... Any thoughts on Electric Unicycles?

10. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Long on mojo.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In theory in most states cyclists are subject to the same moving vehicle laws on public roads as other moving vehicles. And they often have rules stipulated just for them, such as staying as far to the right of the road as safe and practicable. (Note that sometimes it is actually safer and therefore absolutely legal to take up the whole lane so a car doesn't try to pass you when it isn't safe to do so.)

However, cops are selective in their enforcement. I think it makes sense for them to spend more time and effort going after a bad driver in a motor vehicle rather than a bad driver on a bicycle. If the cyclist screws up, he/she dies. If the motor vehicle driver screws up, someone else can die. You can only write so many tickets in a day. Wouldn't you write the ones that might actually prevent vehicular manslaughter? (Of course I could see a cop ticketing a truly reckless cyclist because the cop is trying to prevent vehicular suicide. That makes perfect sense, too.)

And I acknowledge that there could be a domino effect-- 1) a cyclist does something stupid; 2) a driver takes evasive action to avoid killing the cyclist; 3) that causes a collision with another motor vehicle. However, similar to when a dog or a kid goes into the road-- the traffic court will likely say as a driver you should have been driving defensively and been ready to take evasive action such as swerving or braking in a manner that wouldn't lead to another problem. If we're all driving defensively and courteously with our radar's primed to detect someone else's screw up then no collisions occur even though we all do dumb stuff all the time.

And by the way, if you ever hit a bicyclist, 99 times out of 100 you're going to get off scot free unless you blow a blood alcohol content above the legal DUI limit. if the bicyclist was partly at fault by riding the wrong direction or blowing through a stop sign or red light, then you're walking for sure. Meanwhile somebody died.

So while we can all be frustrated by slow drivers, folks blocking our path and slowing us down, kids having their basketball roll into the road, cyclists disobeying the law, at the end of the day what really matters most is that everyone gets home safe to their family.

12. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

I did some searching for something like that once but everything I found was subscription based and I'm not into that idea. I'd like to get my hands on something will tell me where my bike is if it gets stolen that only needs to be bought and set up once.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For the e-assist hater....

This morning I encountered a riding associate at trailhead I hadn't seen since early fall and was totally surprised he had an e-assist bike. I was not aware he shattered his ankle about that time and even with surgery and rehab it will never be the same. He said the e-assist bike is a game changer for an injury that might never heal well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.